Bachmann 009 Quarry Hunslet

Phil Parker

• RMweb Gold

Well it needed the pickups tweaking onto the wheels as it would barely move an inch without being ‘wiggled’ but once that was done it’s running in nicely. 😀

Theses stamped pickups losing their spring at the 90° fold is a common issue and I’ve had to fix two Farish locos for mates recently too. It’s not just Bachmann though as I’ve had it with Hornby and Tillig locos!

They need a nice gentle outward curve in them after the stamped right angle as that destroys the spring of the material there and they just fold flat against the chassis. 

35DFEC32-EAAC-4565-A763-A131C405B253.jpeg.6490bbdd2dd623c17ede998f751a935f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/12/2022 at 15:57, Quarryscapes said:

Alice, Nesta and Dorothea just ordered from Derails. Once I've figured this cab removal lark out I feel there will be some hybrids on the way! 

If you work out a way of breaking the glue bonds can you post it please?

I have a slightly wonky cabside on Alice. There a small gap at the front. Annoying thing it's both my models affected and it's a different side on each!

Hi,

Here are a couple of shots of a newly-acquired Alice visiting my model of Llangywair (Llangower) station, on the Bala Lake Railway. The crew have clearly nipped off to the facilities in the car park.

Alice has also had a quick run on a test track oval with 9" curves, a couple of set track points and a couple more Streamline ones - all fine. In fact, she was better than fine - straight out of the box, running round at '20' on my Gaugemaster 'Combi' without a hitch. I bought the loco from Bure Valley Models and they tested it in advance, as, I believe, they're doing with all the Bachmann Hunslet releases. 

Do think abut visiting Bala Lake in 2023 - it's the 50th Anniversary of the BLR Society (the Company's was 2022). We have several gala events planned, a Model Show in September (in 2022 there were 21 layouts, including 'Llangower Fach' depicted here, and 9 traders) and then there's the Extension to think about... 

Plugs Over - Happy Christmas!

Mat (Bala Lake Railway Society Secretary / Bala Model Show Organiser)

DSC00376a.JPG

DSC00381a.JPG

Edited by MatP
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2022 at 21:20, Captain Kernow said:

But looking at the positives, Bachmann have undoubtedly introduced more people to narrow gauge modelling, especially to North Wales prototypes!

I don't want to trigger the inner rivet counter, but Nesta should have a free standing handbrake column. I am fine with it though.

20221223_182558.jpg

Edited by CotBob
Spelling error

• RMweb Gold
On 21/12/2022 at 16:54, didcot said:

I used the Bachmann chip for both Alice and Britomart.

Start voltage 002. From memory the default is one. I had Britomart first and spent ages looking for a mechanical issue. It' would move a quarter turn and just stop. Changed 002 to something like 50 or there abouts and it took off like a Smokey Joe. I have set it around 20. That solved the issue. Alice was the same. I'm still tweaking 003 & 004 on both and I suspect 002 once run in.

Interestingly the only thing I changed was 57 to limit the top speed I set it to 50 which seems reasonable.  I gather it allows full resolution while limiting the top speed.

• RMweb Gold

My Alice is running awful at slow speeds, I’ve taken the body off to have a look and noticed there is a tight spot when I turn the flywheel round with my finger, once it’s moving it runs lovely but it just won’t move from a standing start without a jiggle, it sounds like the same issue as didcot, 1/4 turn then stops, I’ll have a go at changing the CVs as per didcot and see if that improves things 

ive put it in my rolling road and it’s been running for about an hour so far, hopefully a good run might improve things a bit, if not it will have to go back 

Edited by big jim

1 hour ago, CotBob said:

Interestingly the only thing I changed was 57 to limit the top speed I set it to 50 which seems reasonable.  I gather it allows full resolution while limiting the top speed.

I will give that a go.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, big jim said:

My Alice is running awful at slow speeds, I’ve taken the body off to have a look and noticed there is a tight spot when I turn the flywheel round with my finger, once it’s moving it runs lovely but it just won’t move from a standing start without a jiggle, it sounds like the same issue as didcot, 1/4 turn then stops, I’ll have a go at changing the CVs as per didcot and see if that improves things 

ive put it in my rolling road and it’s been running for about an hour so far, hopefully a good run might improve things a bit, if not it will have to go back 

My understanding is that to obtain good running on DCC you need a loco that runs well on DC to start with.

Yours seems to have a mechanical fault, certainly not an electronic fault. Personally, I'd either return it to the retailer or send back to Bachmann under warranty. 

Take DCC out of the equation for now. As it stands, are you happy with the running of the loco ? 

No? 

Then back it goes. There are still plenty about so there should be no issue with getting a replacement. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

My understanding is that to obtain good running on DCC you need a loco that runs well on DC to start with.

I am not sure that works, I didn't try Nesta on DC until after I had put the chip in and run it for a while.  It was definitely not as smooth on DC as DCC and it has improved more as it has run.  It had an issue going backwards at first but it has eased a lot as it has run,

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, CotBob said:

I am not sure that works, I didn't try Nesta on DC until after I had put the chip in and run it for a while.  It was definitely not as smooth on DC as DCC and it has improved more as it has run.  It had an issue going backwards at first but it has eased a lot as it has run,

For any mechanical issues @NHY 581is right, and the recommendation is to always run a loco in on DC if you can. The different manner in which DCC powers motors can overcome some issues that are more electrical in nature, for example using start voltage to “kick” a motor into life overcoming initial resistance. 

However, the majority of the issues described here are mechanical and DCC is not going to fix those (although in some cases may mask them).

My Britomart is with the wife and will “arrive” wrapped up tomorrow. We will them see how that one runs..

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

My Britomart is with the wife and will “arrive” wrapped up tomorrow. We will them see how that one runs..

Roy

Good luck with the new arrival.  Nesta now runs pretty well both ways after a slight tight spot going backwards has been run in, or out as it were.  Dorothea, who is still DC only has also a slight tight spot in reverse but she is being run in now so fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1

One of my Alice's was a bit lumpy when running. Did notice it had a quartering issue which seems common. Turned it upside down and used a 9v battery accross the wheels which showed up a slightly wobbly wheel

Took the body off and looked under the keeper plate. Nothing obvious but noticed the crankpins and slide bars were dry. Tweaked the pickups, put it back together and oiled the rods and slide bars. Don't want to jinx it but it has transformed its running even with the body off.

Would recommend a drop of oil on each crankpin and slide at. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Received an "Alice" this morning and it is a beautiful, exquisite model. Absolutely stunning to look at... but it runs like an 80's Hornby Smokey Joe. It virtually doesn't move at all at slow speed, it's horrifically jerky even at a reasonable pace. I can't hear any binding.

Is it worth trying to repair or should I just send it back to the shop to exchange for a new one?

15 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

Received an "Alice" this morning and it is a beautiful, exquisite model. Absolutely stunning to look at... but it runs like an 80's Hornby Smokey Joe. It virtually doesn't move at all at slow speed, it's horrifically jerky even at a reasonable pace. I can't hear any binding.

Is it worth trying to repair or should I just send it back to the shop to exchange for a new one?

I wouldn’t bother touching it, it’s gonna end in tears. Get it exchanged and if possible see it run before you leave the shop. I’ve taken one back, got my money back (as they didn’t have any more) and got a replacement one elsewhere but saw it run before I parted with any money.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree. If there is a common fault then it's important that Bachmann become aware of it to allow them to investigate further. 

If customers take it upon themselves to rectify it ( successfully or not ) or simply accept a poorly running loco,  then as far as Bachmann and the retailer are concerned, there is no problem.

If the loco has an issue, return it. As I said earlier, there are plenty about. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

It's a shame some are blighted by poor running as they are stunning. 

My Alice will go back after Christmas. It locks solid. As the rear axle comes over the rear dead centre the rods push the front axle in the wrong direction and it all jams up. It got worse with running.

I wonder if the rods are a bit thin and don't have much of a bearing surface. But I've  nothing to compare them too.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Having read of some of the issues being reported on here I thought that I had better test my two examples sooner rather than later (wasn't very well over Christmas) and am pleased to report that both my DC only examples work smoothly straight from the box.

I only mention this so as to give reassurance to others that there are good ones out there and whilst I did buy both of mine over the counter at FMR I didn't ask for them to be tested at the time (maybe the staff had already done this ?)

Britomart is slightly faster than Dorothea in both directions at the moment as I give them games of tag on the test oval ... but Dorothea is now taking a lot longer to be caught in the forward direction than at first so I expect that this will improve further with a bit more running in.

As has already been said, they are stunning little locos and I'm sure that either Nesta, Alice or a future release will also find their way into my little 009 collection.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2022 at 11:08, Sam*45110*SVR said:

I've also just got a Britomart. Runs very badly with a tight spot up to about half speed but above that smooths itself out. No improvement after running in. I'd like to return it to Bachmann for repair, but I've lost the receipt! Will they still take it?

You don't return it to Bachmann, you return it to the retailer you bought the model from.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

To add a bit to the discussion, I received a Quarry Hunslet (Britomart) for Christmas. Upon testing it, I found that it didn't run super smoothly at first and needed help to start, however, after running it in, it now runs very smoothly and can start and stop on it's own. With that, I'd probably advise people to run their examples in to see if that improves running qualities before sending it back.

• RMweb Gold

I think mine will have to go back, I’ve run it for about 4 hours tonight, both on the rolling road and around the layout, runs beautifully once it gets going but it just stalls from a standing start and won’t move off without a jiggle, mainly sticks in the forward direction, seems to be better in reverse though but it’s definitely not right 

• Friendly/supportive 2