Buyers with attitude!

Markwj

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andymsa said:

But that's exactly what you said I would be banned with the situations I gave, these were not examples they actually happened. The stolen item was not my fault but it's clear you would treat it as such by your flippant comments on where I live or how I open parcels. An item that is sent by what ever means is the sellers responsibility so if issues arise from carriage it is not the buyers fault as the contract is between the seller and delivery service. where I repaired the item I did not ask for discount, I just informed the seller what the issue was for there own reference. Does this make me a bad buyer, no. like you my feedback is 100%. It would be interesting to know if you post these terms that you block complaints of any description in your listings which would certainly give transparency to a sale. If I saw these type of terms I would certainly trot on by.

To play devil's advocate a little bit - having the parcel stolen does mean an inconvenience to the seller - he has to refund you, which means he's lost out until the courier refunds him. I agree that it's the responsibility of the sender to get the parcel to you, but couriers doing stupid things (as per your example) and circumventing the protection mechanism which should be fine is a pain. If you buy another item what's to say that the same thing wouldn't happen? As such the seller remains perfectly entitled (and IMO it's not unreasonable) to just not sell to you again.

I'm not sure why people have such an issue with people blocking buyers, a seller doesn't actually need a reason to block you if they don't want to!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

So hot off this thread, I decided to give a buyer benefit of the doubt...and guess what, my trust has been instantly abused...

The below scenario seems innocent enough, if taken at face value, but see the impact to me as the seller...

so what happened..

1. Guy starts tyre kicking Questions about model. (My usual red flag)

2. Exceptionally granular loaded question of the model. (Gone beyond my usual tolerance).

3. He Decides to take plunge and buys it anyway before waiting for my answer (he beat me to banning him from buying it).

4. 5 minutes later asks me to cancel the sale and to re-list it it so he can request buying again but to shipping to a different address... (in a trustworthy way i’d believe it, but I really think he couldn't afford it hence the questions, and panicked after buying and is seeking an exit)... no problem with a buyer changing his mind, But he paid for it....

So why is this a problem... (or, why I am a seller with attitude ?)

1. He paid. which means i have to ship it, to an address where it wont be delivered and I will end up paying for two ways of shipping (returns arent free).... The item price is towards £200 so its insured shipping... thats £9 each way.

2 if I cancel, as per his request, it damages my standing on ebay, which results in higher fees (those cheap incentives to sell are gone once a seller starts canceling sold items but doesn't supply).

3. Given the intense questions, I suspect its a just too big purchase commitment, and will seek to want out for any reason, so i’ll get a return request anyway, even if he gets it, its not worth arguing the details, i’ll end up paying two lots of postage regardless.

4. I could ship to his different address anyway.. but thats like floating £200 in a message in a bottle as far as ebays protections are concerned.

And..

relisting, the very reason I was able to sell the item at a cheap price in the first place was the lower listing fee, it cuts my losses and gives me an attractive price to offload something i dont want, however as that offer isnt available today (its random when it is)  available, meaning if I do re-sell to this guy, its going to cost me 10% (in this case £20) as opposed to £1...

for context..(I estimate I was going to spend about £15 in shipping / paypal fees, and my ebay sale price was £10 below the rrp I paid for it, so i’m est to be out £25).. thats less than the £80 i’d be out selling it to a shop.

and 

He has wasted my sale...I now will wait before listing it for a £1 sale listing to sell to a more reliable buyer. Whats frustrating is the item had 45 watchers.. it was going to sell quite fast anyway.

The end result..

i. I have an option to cancel a sale based on buyers delivery address being suspect... so its canceled, refunded him and ebay marks his account suspicious (if it means anything), but ultimately if he does it too many times he will be offloaded from ebay.

ii. He is now on my  banned list.

iii. My locos not sitting in my cupboard awaiting another sale window, the loco I wanted to buy (from someone on here) with that cash has to wait, or I risk losing it to someone else.

iv. I’m back to my policy of one hit your out.

Thats one example why I have low tolerance to buyers. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

You do seem to have had more issues than the average seller, perhaps I am either lucky or that my average sale is between £30 & £40. My biggest issues is not receiving feedback. On the other hand perhaps there is such a thing as Karma  

Edited by hayfield
  • Agree 1

I used to use Ebay alot to sell all sorts - not just railway items - and eventually gave up because of buyers who essentially wanted something for nothing, buyers who were nothing more than scammers, buyers who lied about receiving items or their condition or non-payers. I'm afraid to say alot of these types were buyers of model railway stuff.

I've just started again after a couple of years of not selling on Ebay and the pattern is repeating itself ... time to look for another selling option.

• Thanks 1

What is it you are selling ? I have found the exact opposite, also a friend in the village sold one of his friends large collection of both kits and RTR items, his main problem was keeping up with the volume of sales.

I have just had a message (which is not uncommon) from a prospective buyer asking if its OK if they bid whilst on holiday and pay upon their return. No issue in waiting a week or so for payment. The attitude I receive from both buyers and sellers is a good attitude from a bunch of nice folk.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

What is it you are selling ? I have found the exact opposite, also a friend in the village sold one of his friends large collection of both kits and RTR items, his main problem was keeping up with the volume of sales.

I have just had a message (which is not uncommon) from a prospective buyer asking if its OK if they bid whilst on holiday and pay upon their return. No issue in waiting a week or so for payment. The attitude I receive from both buyers and sellers is a good attitude from a bunch of nice folk.

All sorts... maybe I've been unlucky?

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2019 at 10:21, hayfield said:

You do seem to have had more issues than the average seller, perhaps I am either lucky or that my average sale is between £30 & £40. My biggest issues is not receiving feedback. On the other hand perhaps there is such a thing as Karma  

Ive no intentions of treating people i buy from, in the same way Ive been treated by c2%of ebayers thank you.

I’m not here for sympathy, i’m fine with my hardline approach, it works, and it works very well, which Is why I think it should be encouraged.

For some reason, some here seem threatened by it, responding with suggestive comments. I can only speculate why, but I revert to what I said.. its a minority, 1-2 in a hundred, <50 in over 2500, though it comes in somewhat predictable waves (before summer holidays, middle of the month etc) . So I take a zero tolerance approach. If more took that stance that rogue element could be further reduced.

The problem has been in the hobby for decades, in the old days of swap meets, leaving a high value loco on the front of your stand was asking for trouble, and traders used to count their losses as 1 or 2 were nicked every few shows. Now that element is online.

On the whole most transactions are trouble free, but it doesn't mean I nor anyone else should just have to “put up” with the lunatic fringe. Nor does it mean I don't treat others with respect or does it imply every bad transaction is somehow attracted to me.

My policy is simple.. make the best effort you can into the description, detail and use all 12 free pictures, be open and honest, warts and all, that way theres no comebacks, no excuses. A sale is only a sale if both parties are happy.

But as soon as the leading or loaded questions start, unless you've made a mistake, pull down the shutters, before they buy if you can. Its not worth the hassle / risk. If they have bought, don't negotiate.. you don't get fee credit from ebay..its only a few quid for an ebay label, get it back, refund them, get rid of them and ban them. Theres plenty of fish in the sea, you don't need the ones taking you for a mug.

Sorry if that offends or hurts, I know most buyers (myself included) are honest, its only the dishonest ones that should feel threatened. I don't believe for one minute I am the only one to have a bad buyer.  

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

As both Ross34 and I have testified, you are not alone adb968008.

That is an interesting point about swapmeets, I used to help a couple of friends with their stands and it's absolutely correct - you could not risk putting anything of value at the periphery of the stand, you had to put sacrificial stuff there instead and count a few items lost to theft as part of the cost of selling.

I guess it's similar with eBay now but at least, you have found a way of not taking it lying down.

Bravo!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/03/2019 at 07:11, Markwj said:

Not sure who some ebay buyers think they are received this email message about one of my items yesterday. I realise the prosepective buyer may be a member here but I really object to the terminology used- I admitted to the bodyside scratch it's very clear on the pictures and it's in the description and to be fair i missed the handrail- how do I justify the postage charge well Heljan models are heavy. Have been selling models on eBay for some time and have lost out on postage charges a few times but I would never knowingly rip someone off. After an email exchange where I promised to refund if postage was excessive guess what -didn't bid- time waster! All for a £50 Heljan 47.

New message from: 

Apart from your description of this item admitting body side scratch, there is also one cab grab hand rail broken off at this location. Also Royal Mail 1st class charge increased today is only £5.50 for a small package up to 2 kilos gross weight including packaging [which this model qualifies for adequately packaged]. Therefore how do you justify charging £8.50 for postage?

I've had a very similar - almost word for word in parts - message from a chap who then did not bid. Was his username by any chance the name of a large town in the top left hand corner of Wales?

2 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

I've had a very similar - almost word for word in parts - message from a chap who then did not bid. Was his username by any chance the name of a large town in the top left hand corner of Wales?

I would be very wary of anyone who would be commenting on both the condition of an item when there is obviously a clear photo(s) of its condition, then starts to comment on post and packing. I have just spent £15 on postage on a loco (admittedly an 0 gauge one) When you bid on an item you enter a contract and agree the terms, As I always say I work out the value of the item to me then deduct the postage, if I win the item I have got it at a price I believe its worth, also high postage often puts folk off, which means less competition usually equating to lower overall cost. Many think postage is the cost of the stamp, I clearly state post and packing which hopefully explains you are paying for more than just a stamp (even if you do recycle packaging)  Having said this if I do miscalculate the postage  I often send a partial refund, but never ask for more. Simply as I said both parties enter a contract

This is clearly a case where I would consider if selling to this person is worth the hassle, perhaps a polite reply suggesting perhaps this is not a model the person should bid on due to their concerns about its condition and postage costs. All bases covered if they do bid 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

No the username had 299 at the end of it no location in wales though

I think you will find what I call an "eccentric" person exists, whilst working on a trade stand or demonstrating modelling, the odd person always turns up with their own opinion/agenda disregarding anything but their own hobby horse views. Just humour them

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...