Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Toboldlygo's Model Works (as of 31/07/2020)

On 12/04/2020 at 13:36, A Murphy said:

Phoenix do a plastic stripper, although I have never used it to remove a complete factory finish paint job?

Happy Easter,

Alastair M

I've got a bottle of this. It's called Phoenix precision PQ18 Superstrip 2.  I used it recently to clean Halfords acrylic paint from the top wing of a PT-17 and it cleaned up surprisingly easily.  That's usually a very tough finish.  Just soaked an old toothbrush in the stripper and scrubbed the paint off after leaving it a few minutes on the model part. Didn't affect the plastic at all.  Good idea to wear eye protection though.

ps Halfords paint was Rover Inca yellow which looks similar to Stearman yellow. 

• Informative/Useful 4

Re superstrip 2,  £45 sounded very expensive, so I looked at my bottle.  That was £12 but then it's 125mm size...

However, it is reusable if you soak part in it and pour back into bottle afterwards.  Just applying it with an old toothbrush then scrubbing model does lose a bit but you don't need much.  so should last a long time, suppose I've only used it rarely, but then it's been very useful, ie cleaning up tatty e-bay purchases and so on.

It doesn't damage plastic which is a good thing for modelling purposes.

I've got my original now  virtually empty bottle of superstrip which has a label for £6 on it so it's doubled in price but I've no idea when I bought that one....

Dettol  sounds intriguing for removing paint, have to give it a try.  Warning, we couldn't get any dettol with last supermarket delivery, sold out (presumably due to panic buying) but situation may have now improved.

Stay safe.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, railroadbill said:

we couldn't get any dettol with last supermarket delivery, sold out (presumably due to panic buying)

Presumably due to lots of railway modellers stripping old kits.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Hmm £45 for Superstrip 2 (500ml) compared to £3 for Dettol (500ml) - it wasn't a difficult decision as to what to use..

whatsinthepot_04.jpg.f4eded62017439e739e0b04ae6a5f85c.jpg

You are making me really want one of those now, none on ebay at the moment though...

I have a few K's plastic kits in the stash (the closest to compleation being the Syphon F thats currently sat on my work bench and a pair of E117 B Sets which are awaiting paint (and have been for a very long time).  While I much prefer working in brass, a  short parcles van in all over brown would make an interesting addition....  I assume it suffers from the usual issue with Ks that the roof fit is awful without a lot of fettling?

As for paint stripper, for non OEM paint I now use Mr Muscel oven cleaner, does a really good job at a fraction of the price of the stuff you can buy specifically for models.  (and for RTR bodies aceatone free nail polish remover does a very good job!)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

You are making me really want one of those now, none on ebay at the moment though...

I have a few K's plastic kits in the stash (the closest to compleation being the Syphon F thats currently sat on my work bench and a pair of E117 B Sets which are awaiting paint (and have been for a very long time).  While I much prefer working in brass, a  short parcles van in all over brown would make an interesting addition....  I assume it suffers from the usual issue with Ks that the roof fit is awful without a lot of fettling?

As for paint stripper, for non OEM paint I now use Mr Muscel oven cleaner, does a really good job at a fraction of the price of the stuff you can buy specifically for models.  (and for RTR bodies aceatone free nail polish remover does a very good job!)

I get tipped off when they do appear on eBay  ;) 

parcels2_01.jpg.0b6dee4a780d370089ae69870615ab87.jpg

I have a K's Siphon (not sure which one) to build as well and yes the roof fit was awful and needed a lot of work to get it to fit. 

I did think about Mr Muscle, but remembered the dettol trick instead.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have two of the Syphon Fs though I am thinking about shortening one to make a more useful Syphon C.   Bogies were binned and replaced with Blacksmith etches.

you are going to have more competition for those parcels vans now.....

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

I have two of the Syphon Fs though I am thinking about shortening one to make a more useful Syphon C.   Bogies were binned and replaced with Blacksmith etches.

you are going to have more competition for those parcels vans now.....

image.jpg

I have 3D printed bogies for the Siphon ;)

From @gwrrob possibly ;)  

My client for whom the complete one and the factory fresh one are for - only wanted 1 originally then he saw the version with the Duckets and wanted a second!

Edited by toboldlygo
text
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

1:200 scale? Good grief, that's going to be enormous!  Look forward to build blog on this...  Trumpeter seem to be getting really prolific kit manufacturers.

Yep over a meter long, but not quite as big as the likes of the Bismark, Titanic etc..

They are very good at doing 1 piece hulls - they may not be 100% accurate, but they build up nicely ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Upto this stage with the Shackleton.

shackletonMR3_23.jpg.6f01088b5b11ca858e96c02995a6210e.jpg

And there's a Blog Entry up too.

I may get the glazing masks on today and make some mods to the aerials under the wings (replace them with wire ones), but I see how I go.

I also managed to get something else stripped in the home-brew stripper, before I disposed of it..

5250gl_2020_01.jpg.396fe266e7a0f3ec77d4453dc82577b8.jpg

And it had RTR paint on it :O

• Like 5