Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

And another phone scam/nuisnace

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Just for information 39.99 is the student price for Amazon Prime in the UK. 

Cheers

Paul

So why don't the scammers go for the highest plan?

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Was there something in particular you said which made him put the phone down on you? :)

No at all  - it was me who just hung up!

4 minutes ago, RFS said:

No at all  - it was me who just hung up!

Pity. You should have humoured them like some of us do - in your case, it could have been ‘Which part of Ormskirk are you located in again?’ 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Just had a call from 00116110146668009

Totally false.

Too may digits, a USA call should be something like: 001 XXX XXX XXXX

Fake numbers are all too common these days, presumably to stop you tracing them.

It's a pity BT can't/won't  block invalid codes.

• Agree 3

23 hours ago, melmerby said:

Totally false.

Too may digits, a USA call should be something like: 001 XXX XXX XXXX

Fake numbers are all too common these days, presumably to stop you tracing them.

It's a pity BT can't/won't  block invalid codes.

23 hours ago, Super D said:

BT make a great deal of money from these calls!

Ofcom have finally started to do something although they are fairly toothless & sit in their ivory tower, I work in the industry & have been trying to get them to do something for many years, even when they knew who was responsible they failed to act.

But eventually as the story goes one of these scammers got through to an elderly relative of somebody 'senior' in higher Government circles, they took them for a considerable amount of money. After this Ofcom have started to get their derryaire in gear. They have changed the rule known as General Condition 6 so that only return dialable numbers are now allowed on the network, the issue is that there is no way to know what is a valid or not valid number.  BT have said they will have a system in place by September this year which will start to reject calls that enter the network in the wrong format as above, but as said they make a lot of money at it & are not pushing.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Phaeton said:

Ofcom have finally started to do something although they are fairly toothless & sit in their ivory tower, I work in the industry & have been trying to get them to do something for many years, even when they knew who was responsible they failed to act.

But eventually as the story goes one of these scammers got through to an elderly relative of somebody 'senior' in higher Government circles, they took them for a considerable amount of money. After this Ofcom have started to get their derryaire in gear. They have changed the rule known as General Condition 6 so that only return dialable numbers are now allowed on the network, the issue is that there is no way to know what is a valid or not valid number.  BT have said they will have a system in place by September this year which will start to reject calls that enter the network in the wrong format as above, but as said they make a lot of money at it & are not pushing.

& in the USA 

• RMweb Premium

Ofcom has started action against some Robocallers in the UK.

If you are autodialled, there must be a something/someone to respond to the call if you pick it up. If it is silent that is an offence

See here:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2013/action-against-abandoned-and-silent-calls

Less action on calls from fake numbers though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

Interestingly, Number 'Spoofing' ie pretending to be someone you arent is a Federal Offence in the USA

So how many successful prosecutions are there against scammers from outside the USA?

This is where the worst of the problem is coming from. They probably aren't even breaking any law in their own country!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SVRlad said:

Got a missed call from one with a Cromer phone number yesterday. What would anyone there be wanting to do with me? 

If it is anything important, they will call again and the same number will show.

It may well be a fake number.  Most of the calls I receive are from the same companies (same recorded message or same script) but showing a randomly generated number which is real but nothing to do with the company (multiple locations and I have tried calling one or two just to see).

This ability to generate false numbers is a real PITA.  I add the numbers to my blocked list but it will only work if the same number is used again.  I assume some of the numbers on my blocked list are working as BT tell me how many calls have been sent to my 'junk voicemail' but I have no idea which ones (and have very little interest).

I find it hard to believe that phone companies (landline and mobile) are not able to trace these scammers.  Perhaps they're just happy to take money from each call?

• Agree 3

50 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

They want to borrow and SVR loco for the NNR?

If it genuinely was them I would have directed them to the appropriate place. If it was someone pretending to be them I would have said, ‘Of course, we’ll drop it off at your Dereham base.’ See what I did there? :D

Edited by SVRlad
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've noticed recently more calls coming from what could be legit UK numbers.

However a little digging reveals there is more to it.

e.g. I had a call from 01529 002509

01529 is Sleaford in Lincs, 002509 is a correct format number, however 01529 00XXXX - 01529 09XXXX have never been issued.

A way to get around call blockers?

• RMweb Premium

I've had several leaving the same message "your internet connection will be disconnected because of illegal activity..." recently, the same message but different random numbers. Shameful, thinking I'd use my connection for illegal activity. I hack in to next door's for that!

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

I had a (number witheld) call this morning. Caller asked to confirm my name (they quoted my surname - it's in the phone book), I didn't say, but just asked who was calling. English voice said it was "Detective Constable (whatever it was...)"...I just said "Right...". Call then cut off. Obviously was going to attempt a scam, but they've not yet called back for a second attempt.

• Like 2