The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And another phone scam/nuisnace

34theletterbetweenB&D

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Phaeton said:

But if you press 1 then you are only sending the DTMF signal back to their system, how does that then enable 3 way calling on your line?

Just looking at BT's instructions IF you have 3 way calling enabled on your phone line you have to press the R button then dial the 2 number, they can't do that for you as they are the wrong side of BT's exchange. 

I'd like to know if this is just an urban myth as having worked in Telecoms for the last 40 years I cannot see that it is technically possible to do, but happy to be wrong, these scammers know more about the telecom industry then the industry itself.

I cannot tell you with 100% certainty either, although I have also worked in the industry for over 40 years - but never in an exchange.

There are scams around that tell you to ring a certain number (even YOUR accountants listed number), AFTER you hang up to PROVE they are who they claim to be. However, when you hang up & immediately lift off, the dial tone is provided by their system and you actually ring the person sitting next to the one who first called!

However, it is very risky practice to press any buttons for a caller that rings out of the blue.

My advice is DON'T.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I cannot tell you with 100% certainty either, although I have also worked in the industry for over 40 years - but never in an exchange.

There are scams around that tell you to ring a certain number (even YOUR accountants listed number), AFTER you hang up to PROVE they are who they claim to be. However, when you hang up & immediately lift off, the dial tone is provided by their system and you actually ring the person sitting next to the one who first called!

However, it is very risky practice to press any buttons for a caller that rings out of the blue.

My advice is DON'T.

Yes I've heard of those, there's now a limit to how long the call can be held 'live' if the callee hangs up. At one time if you answered the phone upstairs, you could put the receiver down, walk downstairs, pick up the receiver down there & continue the conversation. That has now stopped also with the advent to VoIP it's not possible. 

One of the favourites is what is known as Wangiri, where the scammers call your number make it ring for a few seconds & then hang up, people then see they have a missed call without realising they are calling a number in Africa or a South Pacific Island.

I understand those & how they work, what I still don't understand the "press 1" scam, but I would certainly agree to your advice which is Don't press 1.

As a slight aside the one that really makes me laugh are the banks, they phone you up, then ask you to prove who you are, once had an intersting 15 minutes with a guy from the Halifax who wanted to talk to me about my account,  he wanted my details to pass security, I wanted answers from him before I'd provide them, he couldn't get the answers until I'd provided him with my answers, he couldn't see the issue.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

My advice is DON'T.

This isn't possible with mobiles fortunately, the system behind them doesn't have the facility to keep the line open.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Nick C said:

This isn't possible with mobiles fortunately, the system behind them doesn't have the facility to keep the line open.

No, but they can send you a link that goes somewhere dodgy.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phaeton said:

As a slight aside the one that really makes me laugh are the banks, they phone you up, then ask you to prove who you are, once had an intersting 15 minutes with a guy from the Halifax who wanted to talk to me about my account,  he wanted my details to pass security, I wanted answers from him before I'd provide them, he couldn't get the answers until I'd provided him with my answers, he couldn't see the issue.

I think that sort of genuine place have largely woken up at long last, to the problem.

Of course you can always ask for a reference number & call them back on a publically listed number. Who knows, it might even match the one they give you!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Phaeton said:

That's odd as I am with Lloyds who own the Halifax and one of the security tips is that they will never call by phone, so if anybody calls and says they are from Lloyds - they aren't and it is a scam.

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That's odd as I am with Lloyds who own the Halifax and one of the security tips is that they will never call by phone, so if anybody calls and says they are from Lloyds - they aren't and it is a scam.

TBF to them this was a couple of years ago, but the guy on the other end of the phone couldn't grasp why I wouldn't give him any information not even my DOB.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On the 'press 1' thing apparently connecting you to a premium rate number - I've often heard the story, but never found a reliable source.

Also, I've often enough pressed 1 (or whatever number), and never been charged for any unexpected or premium rate calls.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phaeton said:

TBF to them this was a couple of years ago, but the guy on the other end of the phone couldn't grasp why I wouldn't give him any information not even my DOB.

Must be a long time back as the current Lloyds security advice has been there for some time.

In the same vein if they want to send me a message, they e-mail me a plain text message to say there is a new entry in my account's "message" folder, there are never any attachments or hotlinks or such with the e-mail.

I then have to log-in using the two stage passwords to my account and go to the folder to open the message and read it. If I don't, a few days later I will get a reminder e-mail.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That’s a good way of catching them out - say you do no correspondence by phone and ask why on earth were they calling you when you could have been doing something more important like visiting RMweb. 

Or another method you could try is to tell them that you’re very forgetful and ask them to remind you of your account number...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I had the same issue with the AIB ringing me and asking for details. I asked them to tell me the last three transactions on my account so that I could tell if they were genuine. They complied.

Yes, I've done that.

My wife had what appeared to her bank to be a dodgy transaction (it was actually ME doing an important transaction, as she was asleep). The transaction appeared to go through, but when I checked the next day, it had been reversed and I was unable to repeat the transaction.

Eventually I discovered that her bank had rung her on her mobile to discuss the transaction, but because she was asleep, it went to voice mail.

To cut a complicated story short, because she didn't respond within a certain time frame, the transaction was blocked & the account stopped. Took a while to get the account reactivated, because again, she didn't respond to voice mails in time.

I should explain that she has various health issues and often sleeps through daylight hours. It makes life complicated!

• Friendly/supportive 8

I had a notification from the Nationwide to say there was a message in my account. I went to log in but my details were not recognised, as they are put in automatically there is no way they are wrong and after 3 tries I was locked out. I contacted them via online chat and was told I must be putting the wrong password in and as I have now been locked out I will have to re-register. I re-registered and next day my new password arrived in the mail. When I tried to log in the password was not recognised and after trying 3 times I was locked out. I had to register again and once more the password that arrived did not work, so before I got locked out I went to my branch and they tried and got locked out and could not understand why but told me I would have to re-register which they did for me and I would have to wait for the password to be sent to me. When I got home the mail had arrived while I was out  and there was a letter with my new password, I thought that was quick and tried it and it did not work. I then looked at the date of this letter and it was sent the day before I went the Nationwide. I looked at the dates on the previous ones and they were all sent the day before I registered each time. The penny dropped as to what was happening and I had to wait a week before I could register again.

When I finally got access to my account I read the message that had been sent and it was to say they had reset my log in details and a new password was being sent. Because I didn't know, I had been one step out each time trying to log in, it caused me 10 days of grief.

What idiot sends a message to an account that they have stopped me logging in to, telling me I will no longer be able to log in until I receive a new password.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

On 18/01/2020 at 16:05, Free At Last said:

I had a notification from the Nationwide to say there was a message in my account. I went to log in but my details were not recognised, as they are put in automatically there is no way they are wrong and after 3 tries I was locked out. I contacted them via online chat and was told I must be putting the wrong password in and as I have now been locked out I will have to re-register. I re-registered and next day my new password arrived in the mail. When I tried to log in the password was not recognised and after trying 3 times I was locked out. I had to register again and once more the password that arrived did not work, so before I got locked out I went to my branch and they tried and got locked out and could not understand why but told me I would have to re-register which they did for me and I would have to wait for the password to be sent to me. When I got home the mail had arrived while I was out  and there was a letter with my new password, I thought that was quick and tried it and it did not work. I then looked at the date of this letter and it was sent the day before I went the Nationwide. I looked at the dates on the previous ones and they were all sent the day before I registered each time. The penny dropped as to what was happening and I had to wait a week before I could register again.

When I finally got access to my account I read the message that had been sent and it was to say they had reset my log in details and a new password was being sent. Because I didn't know, I had been one step out each time trying to log in, it caused me 10 days of grief.

What idiot sends a message to an account that they have stopped me logging in to, telling me I will no longer be able to log in until I receive a new password.

Do you not have the alternative method of accessing your account via the card reader?

Jim

On 17/01/2020 at 20:22, eastglosmog said:

Being plagued by an outfit called Greenhome Media - they keep on ringing and then saying nobody is available to speak to me about something which is not urgent.

AFAIK it is illegal for auto diallers to make calls if there is no agent available to speak to a callee if they answer.  (Obviously auto diallers making calls which connect the callee to a recorded message should never have this problem.)  Might be worth reporting them to OFCOM.

On 08/08/2019 at 12:01, Joseph_Pestell said:

They seem to have a gizmo that cuts off the call at their end if you don't say anything.

These are quite common, as are systems which can recognise recorded call answering messages - such as an answerphone's greeting message, or the screening message that our BT8610 phone plays to any unrecognised number - and close the call.

• Thanks 1

This was the dialogue of a call I received last summer. I knew straight away it was a scam as it had a Wigan number and I have no connection with Wigan at all - they had spoofed their phone number to make it look local (even though I was in Bristol at the time). 

Scammer 1 (a lady with a Home Counties accent but it might have been an automated voice due to the question response times): My name is ???? and I am calling from ????

Me: I see.

Scammer 1: Is it correct that you had a car accident recently?

Me: It is, yes.

Scammer 1: OK, I'll put you through to my colleague who will deal with it.

(Brief pause)

Scammer 2: Hello, your call has been transferred to me, how did...

Me: Hold on, what's your name?

Scammer 2: My name is Steven. 

Me: Oh hi, Steven.

Steven: This is a confirmation call...

Me: Pardon?

Steven: This is a confirmation call about your...

Me (louder) I know all that, mate! 

Steven: But I need you to-

Me: For heavens sake tell me what it is I need to confirm!

Steven (losing his wits): Could you please tell me how did the accident occur?

Me: Of course. I was driving in my car when a cow escaped from a field, ran into the front of my car and smashed the windscreen.

Steven: A cow?

Me: Yes.

Steven: As in an animal?

Me (slowly): Yes.

Steven (annoyed): Ok bye.

Caused a bit of a commotion but it was worth it!

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another variation - I assume it's a scam - didn't listen to the whole message.

Just had a call from 00116110146668009 automated call from lady with strong American voice (not surprising from 001) along the lines of 'This is Amazon Prime we will auto renew your subscription for 39.99 (no mention of currency) and debit your bank....'  I hung up before hearing any more but suspect there would be an option to 'press 1' if you want to cancel etc etc.

Just rechecked my Amazon setting and am clearly not a member of Amazon prime.

• Funny 2

On 26/06/2019 at 16:01, Two_sugars said:

I don't know if anyone heard me, or indeed , understood, when I asked the question "How do you tell a robot scam caller to "HADAWAY AND SHYTE"!

John

Good to see that well known firm of Solicitors Hadaway and Shyte mentioned. I prefer to use Soo, Grabbit and Runne myself.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just had a call from a nice Indian gentleman who said he was from the "call blocking department". Unfortunately my landline is down and while BT are fixing it, it's diverted to my mobile so my call blocker is not active. The caller display showed 01695 573643 and I gave him short shrift. But this number is that of the Poundstretcher store in Ormskirk so seems they are spoofing real numbers ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFS said:

Just had a call from a nice Indian gentleman who said he was from the "call blocking department". Unfortunately my landline is down and while BT are fixing it, it's diverted to my mobile so my call blocker is not active. The caller display showed 01695 573643 and I gave him short shrift. But this number is that of the Poundstretcher store in Ormskirk so seems they are spoofing real numbers ....

Was there something in particular you said which made him put the phone down on you? :)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RFS said:

They just spoof random numbers, they don't bother spoofing particular numbers.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Another variation - I assume it's a scam - didn't listen to the whole message.

Just had a call from 00116110146668009 automated call from lady with strong American voice (not surprising from 001) along the lines of 'This is Amazon Prime we will auto renew your subscription for 39.99 (no mention of currency) and debit your bank....'  I hung up before hearing any more but suspect there would be an option to 'press 1' if you want to cancel etc etc.

Just rechecked my Amazon setting and am clearly not a member of Amazon prime.

Hi

Just for information 39.99 is the student price for Amazon Prime in the UK. 

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1