The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And another phone scam/nuisnace

34theletterbetweenB&D

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Well it was a replacement answer machine/message taker at the time and it works a treat, giving an automated screening service as well, plus I was still working so it wasn't quite such a cost at the time. I am sure there are other systems but ICBA to check and anyway, RMW clever dic#s will say they scratch built theirs for nothing or got one at Poundland, so they can say what theirs is.:victory:

Forgot to say I don't like paying for anything :-)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to say I use True Call and am very pleased that I do. Last 12 months stats show 590 incoming calls of which only 350 were connected. The other 240 were rejected for various reasons and I'm not aware of any genuine calls being blocked. That's an average of 5 times a week the phone does not needlessly disturb us. It gives me the knowledge that when the phone rings it's almost certainly genuine. 

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

So you need the tape to stop them seeing how much pleasure you get, from the sites you visit then?

Not really. 

I need the tape because of articles such as this - 

"I’m sure many of you have seen people with stickers over their webcams and wondered why (probably writing that person off as paranoid). But it’s well known in tech circles that a camera in a computer or smartphone can be turned on remotely by an attacker with the resources, time, and motivation.

Security is hard, and our defences are weak. The capability of an adversary to attack your devices doesn’t necessarily hinge upon a consumer choice of which computer or phone you own. Nor is it likely to matter that you think nobody is interested in you. Put another way, their reach is limited only by the tools they may have at their disposal, their motivations and, in some cases, the law."

Read more at    https://medium.com/@privacyint/can-governments-really-hack-your-webcam-586c439fadf4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Camborne could be Kernow Model Shop telling you that you are the 1,000,000th customer to ask about the Bulleid shorty coaches and that you therefore get a free set and no postage charges. The Plymouth one is efinately a fraud as no one in Plymouth can now afford a phone due to Austerity.

Ar$£

I did check the number to be sure it wasn't them....

John

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Camborne could be Kernow Model Shop telling you that you are the 1,000,000th customer to ask about the Bulleid shorty coaches and that you therefore get a free set and no postage charges. The Plymouth one is efinately a fraud as no one in Plymouth can now afford a phone due to Austerity.

Ar$£

Would that be a DJM Austerity?

• Funny 1

15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

The Plymouth one is definitely a fraud as no one in Plymouth can now afford a phone due to Austerity.

I can!

Although it connected to the wall by a wire. 

On 26/06/2019 at 16:01, Two_sugars said:

I don't know if anyone heard me, or indeed , understood, when I asked the question "How do you tell a robot scam caller to "HADAWAY AND SHYTE"!

Ah! that well known litigious firm, situated in Durham next door to Soo, Grabit and Rhunn.

e.

John

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I don't know if anyone heard me, or indeed , understood, when I asked the question "How do you tell a robot scam caller to "HADAWAY AND SHYTE"!

John

There is a solicitor's in North Sheilds called 'Hadaway and Hadaway'; I think they used to be at the bottom of Westgate Road, and had a third partner called , but they dropped him...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sharris said:

I got one from 'BT' yesterday saying my internet was going to be cut-off within 24 hours... :mad:

Good luck with that one seeing as I don't have any contracts with BT.  

I just tell them, go for it. That will save me a heap of money!

Then if they're still there, ask them politely to post out information on how to reconnect the service, if you change your mind! That stuns them, before I hear a click!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Blimey, you must live in Compton then:o

No, I did try but they wouldnt let me buy a house there, apparently I am the wrong 'type' of person. :blink:

I didnt mind though, the garage was only big enough for 2 cars and it didnt have a mancave so not really what I was after.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I just had a knock on the door; but when I opened it there was no one to be seen. I noticed an Amazon Prime Jiffy bag on the doorstep, which was strange because I haven't ordered anything from Amazon in years.  

Inside the bag was a paperback book about conspiracy theories concerning The Beatles, which retails at £20 on Amazon.co.uk. 

I have checked Paypal, Amazon and my credit card - but no dodgy transactions there. 

I gather there can be some form of elaborate scam whereby deranged people try to worry others, knowing they have their home address; but that is no secret. Others say some other deranged people need reviews for certain products and so use various tactics in order to be able to write what appear to be independent reviews. 

Apparently, if reported to Amazon they will check and suspend accounts which have multiple reviews from different home addresses but an ISP address which doesn't fit that area. I have tried to find a way of reporting this, or (better still) cancelling my Amazon account completely but their website only has options for people who wish to return or refund an ordered item with an order number. I don't have any of that. 

Can anyone guide me to the right page for customer complaints, please?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I had another instance of someone trying to register the site for power with a company this week.

We don't get post on site as, as you can guess it's a building site. Postie called a few days ago with a letter for an unknown individual but my site address. I opened it (shouldn't really) and noted that the site was now being registered with Scottish Power as a provider. I called them and explained that I was the owner and had not applied and they acted very quickly and cancelled the contract.  I mentioned this to a few people and they said what was the point, I informed them that for a short period of time it gave an individual an address that could be used to back up a false identity, the last time it happened it was a week before I found out, and in that time they'd applied for multiple loans, mobile phones and countless other goodies totalling about £10,000.  I'm always wary of this happening when we get services installed as people see the vans for UK power networks, Anglian water etc at the site so they know we're at the stage of connection but not final customer.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2019 at 09:51, Mallard60022 said:

The sender has different weird addresses that are obviously scam and I don't seem to have a blocker facility on my new PC using Windows 10 and a Hotmail Account. I can delete but not block as I could on my old machine. Any advice would be welcome.

Googled

I am assuming that you are using outlook.com account. If you are not, this method will not work.

Open outlook.com > top right, next to your name, click the Gear icon > select More Mail Settings > under Prevent Junk Emails, click Safe and Blocked senders > click Blocked Senders  > enter the block sender's address > click Add to List .

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Addressed to you I presume? My first suspicion would be a c***-up somewhere. You've got some goods, and they were intended for someone else. Not your problem.

You may need to google "brushing". 

https://conversation.which.co.uk/money/amazon-prime-brushing-scam-explained/    

Anyway, I eventually found a customer service contact, and Amazon seemed rather disinterested; and so I have reported it to Action Fraud and hope that I don't get any more stuff.  Apparently, most of the purchases are paid for with gift vouchers so they can't be traced. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks mate. That does not work for me. Think I used to be with outlook but when I changed this PC ourPC person set it up and I think I've just got Hotmail.

Should be similar if you logon to hotmail - been a while since I used Hotmail. Go via a browser rather than an app.