2019 Accurascale Modeller Survey - Have Your Say!

19 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

Conflat L, what a good idea,

Thanks,

It's only the 3,346th I've had today.

You know what; they reckon that James S Doubleday took a canney photograph of Conflat L's in his day.

https://flic.kr/p/z25VYV

Now that crane might just go down as an Accurascale accessory.

What say thee?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

... and then there was the BR brake underframes that were converted for the same duty then stood out of use on the dockside at Teesport for decades. Dunno why they converted so many as they were only used for a very short period before they standardised on HAA hoppers as barriers.

I can't' fathom why they didn't use that most popular of vehicles, The Conflat L.  :rolleyes:

The Consett ones were all ex LMS vans as you say were abandoned and forgotten for many years by the river near Tees Dock. It is a shame that Airfix/Dapol/Hornby have always used such tough plastic that conversion is not to be done lightly! There were BR vans converted to adaptors.

Conflat L wagons would have had too low a tare weight as adaptors as if I recall 10t was minimum!

Mark Saunders

Edited by Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, truffy said:

Ahhh, but only one! That's kinda where I gave up as I have three locos that I would like to see given a shot, but no carriages/wagons/accessories.

Good initiative though!

I put down for a Class 11 shunter, but I also need a Johnson 2F 0-6-0 and a Stanier 2-6-2T.

• Agree 2

It was an interesting exercise, trying to think of significant gaps in 00 and 0 gauge ranges which could be usefully filled with something that’s also commercially viable. 

In 0 gauge I went mainly for transition era 2-car DMUs: Derby Lightweight, 105 or 101. Simple, wide-ranging, many very long-lasting. I think the scale really lends itself to 2-car units. 

In 00 gauge it seemed to me that (other than modern EMUs, which I guess at 4-car plus lengths are a bit off-putting for manufacturers), the big long-lasting gap is for PEP-derived stock: 3-car 313s and 508s, etc. Lots of liveries, and distribution over a wide part of the country. 

Fascinating exercise. I look forward to the results. 

Paul

• Thanks 1

I think Accurascale have blown the "4 car emu / dmu wont sell" concept out of the water, with their TPE mk5 sets and Caledonian Sleeper bundles.

Pick the right protoype, make it to the right specification, keep your customers informed and onside and todays modellers will buy the product.

Bravo Accurascale!

Electrostar next?  Think of the many sub class differences and liveries to get yourself around the outside of......

Edited by KDG
Smelling pistake
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

22 hours ago, Axlebox said:

Conflat L, what a good idea, I'd buy some of those for sure...its amazing how many transformers we used to trundle round the country on Conflat Ls...you do wonder if they now all go by road...why did we need so many in the first place?

A/box

(hommage to Tri-ang)

Sadly, most of the steel plants that took lime or Dolime in L-Type containers have long-since been repurposed as 'retail parks' and so on. Apart from lime, what other products did they carry? I have seen a view of one being used to carry cement to Bridgewater yard, for use during the construction of Hinkley Point B.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, KDG said:

Electrostar next?  Think of the many sub class differences and liveries to get yourself around the outside of......

That was exactly my suggestion, probably the most common and widespread EMU at the moment?

I'd love a 442, but it'll never happen...........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 11:48, truffy said:

Ahhh, but only one! That's kinda where I gave up as I have three locos that I would like to see given a shot, but no carriages/wagons/accessories.

Good initiative though!

Crikey! Only three? The loco I requested wasn’t even for the Fell; just one from a long list.

It is very nice to have a locomotive done with excellent attention to detail and running qualities even if an existing model exists (I’m not meaning to start an argument about how good or otherwise Bachmann’s Deltic is). It is nicer still to have one where the existing model is rather hopeless. However, it is nicest of all to have a locomotive which has never been modelled before. There are plenty of those, without producing oddballs.

Oddballs are great, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Apart from lime, what other products did they carry? I have seen a view of one being used to carry cement to Bridgewater yard, for use during the construction of Hinkley Point B.

Used in conjunction with Presflos. I've seen a published photo of a full rake on the way to Bridgewater each container being adorned with a Blue Circle traders label.

Also have pics of them in use for Britmag and Dursand  (for casting moulds).

The original promotional leaflet that BR salesmen were issued with said, "for conveyance in bulk of such materials as: cement, ground limestone, dolomite, &c."

The original GWR type containers were used to deliver cement on site for the construction of Scammonden dam near uddersfield.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Axlebox said:

Only one 'e' in Bridgwater chaps (just saying)

Pretty drug free area then? Your neck of the woods so you should know.

But there was once many of that most desirable of railway wagons, the Conflat L.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Oh did anybody mention Conflat L's???

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Transformers?????

Tut tut P.

Mike.

... they’re robots in disguise :p

Griff

PS I’m starting to regret requesting a 56..... Class 20 would, perhaps, be a better choice.

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Transformers?????

Once again, I cast my bait and caught me a big un.

Plenty of conflat "L's" seen around about the Sheff area until the early eighties. Class 31 power being quite common.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Just to mention CONFLAT L's in and around Sheffield.

• RMweb Gold

Without cheating and doing another survey, a decent Class 31 of all varieties would be a welcome sight.  Even the “full fat” Hornby one has a dated look now.

• Agree 2

Just now, BMacdermott said:

Hello adb

It was this one....

BR Conflat P Wagon – ‘Condor’ (Diag.1/060 of 1959)

Brian

I doubt Accurascale would want to walk into TMC/Bachmann territory.  {These are on Plate frames} The skeletal open deck doesn't help - and a drawing to work from may be difficult to come by. Also none preserved as they were soon Timber Ps so very short-lived.

Paul