Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Hi Brian,

When sorted can you let me have the measurements for the grill, so that I could look at using such for my 33's?

Hoping to place an order soon for other parts....

Thanks guys

CME :)

The rad grill is 31.8 at the narrowest. As you can see they are a slight oval to take account of the roof curvature.

I have put a bit of primer on it now.

post-6766-0-41329600-1309627305_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-97325600-1309627311_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-12415600-1309627314_thumb.jpg

Brian

Sorry to hijack your thread, doesn't seem worth starting one of my own just for this. Here's a photo taken on the Preston Group's layout of Heljan 26029. I've filled in the tablet catcher recesses and made new doors. Drivers fitted, cab interiors painted, full respray, Fox numbers, Precision data panels and a little weathering. Looks good to me ! As the loco is portrayed in early 80s would I be right in thinking that the crew wouldn't have been wearing high viz tops ?

Waiting now for Pete Harvey's fan grille and steps to become available so that I can add them to it.

Jeff

post-12187-0-95934700-1309847025_thumb.jpg

Nice work Jeff B)

Very few train crew would have had a hi-viz vest during your period, in fact plenty of P/Way staff didn't have them then either. Your Driver and Secondman would have been wearing the standard issue dark blue BR uniforms. Hope that helps.

;)

• Like 1

Very nice Jeff by all means put anything on this thread if it's relevant to what we are building. As I said before it's nice to see other diesel models. Do I get another to do one like yours?

Nidge is correct about the high viz and even if we have them you don't generally drive with them on, well I don't anyway!

Thanks, chaps, I don't recall seeing much of the high-viz stuff in the 80s, nice to have my impressions confirmed.

Brian, in my book you can't have too many 26s, go for it, the memory of 26024 blasting up to Ravens Rock in 1981 is still very strong. The only thing I can see missing from the Heljan model is a large circular vent on each cab roof, it's clearly visible in the shot I posted several pages back. Fortunately, the overhead shot I have of 26029 in 1981 shows it didn't have them then, that's why I chose it. That and the fact that it didn't have spotlights so saved me a bit of work ! All in all, it's a lovely model, so much easier to work on than the 37 and 47, no wires trailing everywhere to marker lights and tail lights, and much easier to access the screws holding body to chassis.

Opening up another can of worms.......I don't seriously see Heljan ever doing a 27, I might consider doing a 26 to 27 conversion. Any thoughts ?

Jeff

I don't seriously see Heljan ever doing a 27, I might consider doing a 26 to 27 conversion. Any thoughts ?

I'd be interested in learning about your experiences if you do this and what would be involved. At the moment the only options for a 27 seems to be JLTRT or to wait for the MMP kit to be available.

Depending upon the work involved a conversion may be another option.

Julian

Jeff the extra cab circle is a radio aerial cover. I don't know which carried this and which did not but generally the headlight fitted ones had it but of coarse your picture of 26024 has it and no lights :help:

I have just cut the bogie springs off and moved them back a bit on mine.

I don't think they have any plans for a 27, but who knows. I can make some more enquires in a couple of weeks as I too would like a 27 as I prefere them over 26's, domino headcodes you know :yes:

Hi Brian,

I think that we (I :unsure:) was talking at cross purposes re the grills as I was more interested in the side grills for the rads.....

I too soldered together some grill parts - scavanger roof fan (mmp and prmprp parts) - for the Lima 33's and still wasnt happy with them as I couldnt get the 'peak' to shape the way that I wanted (yet like you soldering such together seemed easier than cyano and I didnt fill in an of the mesh either!:yahoo:). I have been experimenting with the Heljan one's though :)

BTW I have used resin based cyano (Fixsal) for grills and that seems to work fine as it is less likely to go brittle (unlike common or garden 'superglues') etc....

Thanks for Posting the measurements though - vmuch appreciated and I must admit that Peter has rendered the grills very nicely indeed and I am looking forward to seeing them painted B).

ATVB

Nice work Jeff B)

Very few train crew would have had a hi-viz vest during your period, in fact plenty of P/Way staff didn't have them then either. Your Driver and Secondman would have been wearing the standard issue dark blue BR uniforms. Hope that helps.

;)

Hi,

Didnt the introduction of Hi-Vis really start in the early 1970's with the advent of H&SAWA (I am sure that I have some photos of such somwhere?) etc...

According to the 'oracle', experimentation with Hi-Vis railway workwear, was started - across the boarder - in Scotland in 1964, so I would then say it is down to style/type of Hi-Vis workwear (the earlier types that I remember are the tabards).

Trackside Hi-Vis workwear came to the fore with electricfiaction work etc. and in those areas where trackside work on the high-speed mainlines was required.

I agree with Brian et al. not many drivers wear them all of the time - no real need unless trackside - yet I suppose a trip working driver using the engine for shunting at specific location may keep a Hi-Vis tabard on when shunting as he/she may have to get in and out from time to time over the period of shunting movements etc......

From a modelling/painters/artists point of view, if one wanted viewers to look into e.g. a detailed cab, then using colours such as white, red and of course ORANGE would naturally draw the eye to such detail.....artists use those sort of tricks all the time....

I must admit that Hi-Vis didnt seem (to my mind) to really get underway until the late 1980's/early 1990s.....funny how we take things for granted/dont notice until asked.....

I seem to remember that Railtrack started to enforce Hi-Vis workwear a lot more - on the run up to - and post the vestiture of Railtrack as an organisation (with new standards, methods of working and the need for the use of sub-contractors/indirect labour etc. trackside etc)....

I hope that helps :)

ATvB,

CME

I've scrutinised all my Scottish photos from the early 80s and can't find a single high viz on any of them, either in cabs or out of them. I think also that as many parts of Scotland were far from the eye of authority, some rules were obeyed more in the breach than the observance, as they say. Thanks for your input, I think that when my 1980s ScotRail TMD reaches the stage of needing to be populated I shall sprinkle a few around anyone working trackside but not in cabs.

ATB

Jeff

Hi CME,

You had me doubting my own marbles for a minute (not difficult considering I've just got up!), but looking back, when I was sent to Willesden to collect my first set of uniforms in early '83 I wasn't issued with a hi-viz vest, it wasn't until I moved to Old Oak a few months later that I was given one, a dirty secondhand one as I recall with button fastenings. I think I only ever wore it once whilst out on the mainline around Westbury somewhere, but we never wore them while working on shed at Old Oak, most of the shed drivers just wore the long blue cotton smock coats. The only person I can remember who did wear a hi-viz vest was one of the shed foremen (along with a trilby hat at a rakish angle!).

Further to the OP... as well as the dark blue issue uniforms we had those lovely pale blue cotton Summer jackets, quite a few of the old hands wore these all year round too. My original one still hangs in my wardrobe and still fits!

;)

there was orange vests used in the 1960s as has been said for track and electrification work,

only have to look at British transport films from the time such as Wires over the Border and Second nature.

they also wore them in the movie Robbery from 1967. there may be an element of wearing them for the camera in the btf films.

pic of trackworkers wearing them

http://www.flickr.co...s-45827152@N07/

Mike

Hi CME,

You had me doubting my own marbles for a minute (not difficult considering I've just got up!), The only person I can remember who did wear a hi-viz vest was one of the shed foremen (along with a trilby hat at a rakish angle!).

Further to the OP... as well as the dark blue issue uniforms we had those lovely pale blue cotton Summer jackets, quite a few of the old hands wore these all year round too. My original one still hangs in my wardrobe and still fits!

;)

A mate of mine who was a driver never wore a B.R. uniform, nor carried a B.R. drivers bag (he carried an old fashioned shopping bag). It had all the bits in it I suppose?

R.I.P. my old mate.

OzzyO.

CME

I've scrutinised all my Scottish photos from the early 80s and can't find a single high viz on any of them, either in cabs or out of them. I think also that as many parts of Scotland were far from the eye of authority, some rules were obeyed more in the breach than the observance, as they say. Thanks for your input, I think that when my 1980s ScotRail TMD reaches the stage of needing to be populated I shall sprinkle a few around anyone working trackside but not in cabs.

ATB

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

That sounds about right to me and perfect for a depot I would have thought.....:yes:.I tried again to find the early/mid 1970's photos of trackworkers with Hi-Vis tabards (havnt found em yet!!!:rolleyes:)....yet once again it is only the trackworkers who have the Hi-Vis clothing and only then - if I remember correctly - for mainline works.....

looking forward to seeing photos of your layout.B)...any links?

ATB

Hi CME,

You had me doubting my own marbles for a minute (not difficult considering I've just got up!), but looking back, when I was sent to Willesden to collect my first set of uniforms in early '83 I wasn't issued with a hi-viz vest, it wasn't until I moved to Old Oak a few months later that I was given one, a dirty secondhand one as I recall with button fastenings. I think I only ever wore it once whilst out on the mainline around Westbury somewhere, but we never wore them while working on shed at Old Oak, most of the shed drivers just wore the long blue cotton smock coats. The only person I can remember who did wear a hi-viz vest was one of the shed foremen (along with a trilby hat at a rakish angle!).

;)

Hi,

Sorry about that :lol:

It does make you stop and think though.......I was given a dirty old second hand tabard (wish I still had it) before being issued with the new kit (early 1990's).

As you say mostly for use when trackside....I have been reading some accounts of an ex-railway man and I know as modellers we tend to not include/remember the little characters that once worked on the railway and I would have thought your shed foreman would be an ideal candidate for a character on a model - yet with Hi-Vis only place him where you want to onlooker/viewer/visitor to look as he will stick out like the proverbial sore thumb!!:laugh:

I wish my stuff still fitted......:laugh: :laugh: good for you!!

Great Post BTW!

there was orange vests used in the 1960s as has been said for track and electrification work,

only have to look at British transport films from the time such as Wires over the Border and Second nature.

they also wore them in the movie Robbery from 1967. there may be an element of wearing them for the camera in the btf films.

pic of trackworkers wearing them

http://www.flickr.co...s-45827152@N07/

Mike

Nice Post Mike :yes: B)

Sorry to hi-vis-jack your Thread Brian :laugh:;)

I have now made the Pete Harvey etched steps to go with the etched rad roof grill. There is also a set of SKF axle box covers. Also note that I have moved the coil springs in now. The steps went together very well even without any instructions :yes: I have also filed down the slack adjusters on the brake rigging as the only 26 to have the same automatic slack adjusters as the 33's was the slow speed fitted 26's.

I am off next week so I must try and get some muck on it.

post-6766-0-44177400-1310578515_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-32336300-1310578519_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-13159100-1310578522_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-93642800-1310578539_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have now made the Pete Harvey etched steps to go with the etched rad roof grill. There is also a set of SKF axle box covers. Also note that I have moved the coil springs in now. The steps went together very well even without any instructions :yes: I have also filed down the slack adjusters on the brake rigging as the only 26 to have the same automatic slack adjusters as the 33's was the slow speed fitted 26's.

I am off next week so I must try and get some much on it.

Hi Brian,

Nice work....it really adds some finesse to these Heljan models.

It's still a shame - IMHO - that they aint quite up to 4mm RTR standards, thank goodness then for Peter, David and Brian for their detail upgrades and addons :yes::drinks:

One trader has told me that the Heljan's are indeed 'built to a price'.

Keep up the inspiring work : :yahoo: B)

ATB