Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I am still here :boast:

As you have noticed I have not done much recently. I have done quite a bit of running of my models recently.

I have painted and put the transfers on a JLTRT MkI SO . So that might/should be finished this week.

As I am doing my blue/grey rake of coaches as Midland prefix I had a look in my 1979 coach spotting book for numbers for my CK (that I still need to finish building :resent: ) and I noticed it said that all the midland CK's were duel heated. I have found some DJH ETH sockets that I could use so I will get this finished this week, I hope!

Since I finished the 08 and Heljan 26 I have been a bit at a loose end. Oh well looks like a Heljan Deltic this week and a JLTRT 33 on the horizon so I should have a bit to do :good: I would like to do a wagon or two but I will wait until the JLTRT Prestwin comes out. I must be a bit carefull what I build these days as I don't have any room to keep it all :help: Maybe I should get another coach kit at Telford to press on with my rake.

Hopefully have something on here again this week.

I finally finished my CK today. I fitted the white metal ETH fittings I had fron DJH. I have put a couple of windows in it for the photo to see what it will look like with the windows with frames moulded on them. Should get the primer on it tomorrow.

My SO has now been varnished so should get the windows and seats and tables in that tomorrow.

See, I had been doing something these last few weeks :mocking_mini:

post-6766-0-19569400-1314646726.jpg

post-6766-0-51365700-1314646729.jpg

post-6766-0-98404400-1314646736.jpg

post-6766-0-28739700-1314646740.jpg

That's some fantastic work you've done there Brian on your CK. The bogies are particularly nice. :)

Just one thing which I'm not sure if you've noticed, in the last photo the brass step to the left of the buffer looks a little bent.

Lovely job Brian. I have been toying with the idea of having a go at a JLTRT Mk1 coach kit How long do you think it would take to complete one (Im retired) excluding painting. The last coaches I built were back in my 4mm days and years ago now, a nice rake of Southern Pride Mk1's. But I will need something to hang behind a few tenders, I just keep putting it off

Bob

Hi Richard The corridor conectors in the kit are very nice but they are solid, there is no give in them at all. To go round corners I found that I would need a big gap between coaches. With these at least there is no gap showing.

Brian

I suppose that is one advantage of scale 7 then Brian we don't have any tight curves so I can get away withthe solid connectors. I do like your open second and I see you have a builders plate on the CK who is selling those and do you know of anyone doing the data panels that appeared on these coaches in the early 80s ?

Richard

Brian

I suppose that is one advantage of scale 7 then Brian we don't have any tight curves

Richard

Very true all you need then is a room the size of the Albert Hall to cope with the S7 curves, and be a dab hand with a forming tool on the lathe for all the flanges that need turning down :O .

Martyn. :senile:

Brian

For me, that second photograph is one of the most realistic photos of a model I have seen, superb work.

regards

Stewart

Glad you like it Stewart but we must thank JLTRT for making a good coach in the first place.

As to the corridor connectors I don't think it matters if you model in S7 or anything else if it won't go round 6' radius coupled to another then it's game over.

The builders plates on the ends of these coaches I am doing are from MMP. He does an etch from their coach kits that has all the types of MkI plates on it. The down side is that there is only one of each type on it. So far not a problem but I will do another SO. One thing though, they are so small that I don't think anyone will know if you put a dud one on? Apart from you lot now :nono:

Who does the data panels, I don't think anyone does but if you get a picture I wonder if Precision Labels will do them for you.

Now Bob, how long do they take to build? Not too long as the body is just 2 sides and ends glued to a floor. But you do have to paint the insides before you glue it all together. The underframes are quite easy to do. Those etched bogies take a while though. I think it took me a day to build one but it might take you a bit longer if you haven't done these before. In reality I could do one in a week I should think.

Brian, just spend a few night's looking at the picture's on your website, they really got me thinking about the diesel era again, l seemed to have lost interest with the modern scene, as there is hardly anything out there today to get motivated with, but your picture's have certainly done that, thank you very much for sharing them with us all, FANTASTIC Collection...........

Very true all you need then is a room the size of the Albert Hall to cope with the S7 curves, and be a dab hand with a forming tool on the lathe for all the flanges that need turning down :O .

Martyn. :senile:

I have to disagree with your ill-informed comments. Many wheels are available in Scale 7 profile, and those that aren't can be turned down by the S7 Group's resident wheel turning expert.

Also you don't need a space as large as the Albert Hall: an average village hall would do perfectly well...

I have to disagree with your ill-informed comments.

Oh err keep yer hair on matey it's only a hobby :nono: and it was said in light banter. I have a friend who models in S7 and I do not throw my toys out the pram when he calls my preferred scale ( O f/scale ) " narrow gauge ". and also most modellers do not have an "average" village hall in their back garden :beee: .

Hi Brian,

Great to see you yesterday and thanks for the info regarding the B sets, after seeing what else was on offer at the show I have placed an order with Pete. Like a lot of us on here I just don't get the time, but still want as much detail as possible on our models in the shortest time. I Would have liked to have seen how you got on with the 33 but I am only doing the one day this year, so I look forward to seeing the end results on here hopefully .

Regards, Martyn.

I did have a good time at Telford as always. Not sure about a Clayton but if I did one I would have to have it as a research one in blue.

But as you say I did get a JLTRT 33/1 kit on Saturday morning. Unfortunatly at the show I could not do much to it apart from clean it up a bit as it needed cleaning and holes drilling and a bit of soldering doing to it before I start gluing it together. Anyway now we are home I can get a start on it. I have attached some pictures of what's in the box for starters. There are a few castings still to get for it though but I can get the bulk of it done.

post-6766-0-01853100-1315235757_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-26329600-1315235777_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-41174600-1315235850_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-93746100-1315235887_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-78199200-1315235922_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-33585100-1315235957_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-64203600-1315235991_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-90749800-1315236049_thumb.jpg