Hydro hold-alls and Touax timber 2-for-1 from RevolutioN (OO - IWA Wagon)

surfsup

3 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Received mine from Rails and very pleased. I do like the packaging as well. I bought a set of IZA from Kernow Models several months ago, and again the quality is superb. I didn't quite realise quite how long these Hold-Alls are compared to the IZA pair, but do look very impressive. Tempted by another pair now!

I'm not going to try and convince you, but it'd be rude not to help relieve the pressure off the shelves in the shops :dancer:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JackB95 said:

I'm not going to try and convince you, but it'd be rude not to help relieve the pressure off the shelves in the shops :dancer:

Yeah, that's a good 'excuse'! Trouble is box not easy to hide when the postie delivers!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

No they’re not easy to hide! Both the wagons and their packaging are surprisingly long! 

Another batch went in the post today (though I’ve not had chance to mark them all as despatched yet). Frustratingly we’ve been sent the wrong size packaging for orders of a single twin pack so orders for single packs will go out as early as possible next week once we’ve got replacement packaging. 

Cheers Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Revolution Mike said:

No they’re not easy to hide! Both the wagons and their packaging are surprisingly long! 

Simple - get them sent to work address......

Just received despatched email - yay!

Edited by newbryford

5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Simple - get them sent to work address......

Not so easy when you've been working from home for months.  Who knows when I'd get to my work address to collect them.  Mine arrived at my home on Wednesday.  The good thing about working from home is never missing the postman.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

How long are they exactly?

Oddly enough that's something I was just wondering given they should arrive soon. Then I remembered I had asked about this before.

This post shows them at 20760mm between buffers making them 272.5mm long. In the context of my layout that means they are about the same length as an FEA and I have a rake of 7 of those. 8 will be a nice long train for me.

• Like 1

The models are indeed 272 mm over buffers (but probably nearer 271.5 than 272.5), so they must be modelled with the buffers compressed.

Interestingly a got a dispatch e-mail from Revolution today for the models that I receive on Wednesday (unless they are sending me two sets!!!).  They definitely look the part: I just need to build the layout for them to run on.

• Like 3

On the subject of measurements, is someone able to provide the distance between the front of the NEM socket and end of the buffers please? Want to work out which couplings to order. Not a fan of NEM pockets at all. Cheers in advance!

• RMweb Gold

As per the note at the bottom of the despatch notes - if you paid a deposit and balance then your order is only despatched once both parts are marked as despatched (otherwise it is just an auto-generated email when you pay your balance closing off your deposit). 

Most are going by Royal Mail but some larger orders will go by courier (as will be too large/heavy for RM). 

cheers Mike

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2022 at 10:48, JackB95 said:

On the subject of measurements, is someone able to provide the distance between the front of the NEM socket and end of the buffers please? Want to work out which couplings to order. Not a fan of NEM pockets at all. Cheers in advance!

About 6.5mm, if Ive got the measuring points correct.0BD99103-F16B-4E4A-AA89-54FD7D539CB3.jpeg.280160e13325f43bea12b5977bcd841f.jpeg

length over buffers 272mm, 280mm over couplings.

39BAB53B-AF7C-4CA7-B52D-BED129258C93.jpeg.5b03e797bb5dba6553469ecf5ed202e3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I couldn't resist trying….

:lol:

8DC27C58-0BB6-4C72-938A-9F455A86C1AE.jpeg.77e40ddd9da3d25962ad1991041f9e54.jpeg

Definitely needs a bit of work.

:-)

Ha ha. They do look better in shorter lengths on an OTA wagon, but to be honest, after I'd done one wagon, I was terminally bored and couldn't face doing another 9. Attention span of a gold

• Funny 5

On 09/01/2022 at 10:48, JackB95 said:

This is the Symobia NEM gauge, the height is right, but the reach is a shade too long - the gap looks a lot in this photo, but although a sheet of 40thou (1mm) plasticard would fit in the gap, a 60thou (1.5mm) sheet would not.

I think NEM compliant pockets are great, its the manufacturers that don't comply are the problem.

IMG_20220110_165715.jpg.54e1480d6a84f40d4397a575a24c0a82.jpg

Jon

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KDG said:

Ha ha. They do look better in shorter lengths on an OTA wagon, but to be honest, after I'd done one wagon, I was terminally bored and couldn't face doing another 9. Attention span of a gold

Ah you see i start with what seems a good idea.

Then as I got going I realised this was going to take a bit of time.

Then I got bored and decided to do the math instead….

The logs are tied onto the wagons approx 8 logs high, 8 logs wide, so there abouts 64 logs. Then those logs are arranged either in 2 long lengths, or 5 short lengths.

So with 8 wagons x 5 bundles of 8 x 8 logs means i’d need 2560 small 1-2mm branches cut to approx 2 inches off my christmas tree…. +/- a few.

Then I counted the branches of the right size around the bottom of my christmas tree and realised there was approx 6 shoots to a branch and approx 7 branches to each 3 inch layer.

Looking at a productive area of approx 3 feet means i’d need around 24 christmas trees to fill my train with logs, I could reduce this to 5 christmas trees with longer logs… 

I am in competition with a local farm which feeds christmas trees to goats, and the neighbours are more sympathetic to the goats that my model railway…especially as i’d be asking them to skin the tree and cut the branches to size first.. (your not surely expecting me to do it?).

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

48 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The logs are tied onto the wagons approx 8 logs high, 8 logs wide, so there abouts 64 logs. Then those logs are arranged either in 2 long lengths, or 5 short lengths.

So with 8 wagons x 5 bundles of 8 x 8 logs means i’d need 2560 small 1-2mm branches cut to approx 2 inches off my christmas tree…. +/- a few.

Then I counted the branches of the right size around the bottom of my christmas tree and realised there was approx 6 shoots to a branch and approx 7 branches to each 3 inch layer.

Looking at a productive area of approx 3 feet means i’d need around 24 christmas trees to fill my train with logs, I could reduce this to 5 christmas trees with longer logs… 

I am in competition with a local farm which feeds christmas trees to goats, and the neighbours are more sympathetic to the goats that my model railway…especially as i’d be asking them to skin the tree and cut the branches to size first.. (your not surely expecting me to do it?).

Im in awe of your mathematical capabilities. I just figured it was going to take for ever.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

When I did some ‘logs’ for the Heljan wagons I converted I used a polystyrene core and glued the logs around it, got one wagon in and got immensely bored so just bought the Hornby log loads instead! 

my logs were actually twigs picked up from the Kronospan yard in chirk so very prototypical! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 10/01/2022 at 20:20, adb968008 said:

This is why I'm glad I opted for the vans, I won't need to worry about the load, it's left to the imagination! 

I have had to re-lay some sidings to get all 8 of mine to fit when they arrive mind. Hopefully not much longer to wait now.

10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

The other thing to bear in mind is that wagons do run empty, maybe more often than they run loaded.

Ah, but if you have them run empty in one direction, you then need a second set of wagons to run loaded in the other direction ;)

• Funny 4