Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Tight Curves on the Prototype

1 hour ago, petejones said:

I was watching a clip of the Wymondham goods train from the 1980s and was struck by the tightness of the curve from where the train originates (see clip below):

https://youtu.be/DhQskpdrm4U?t=52

So tight curves are not unprototypical - on a single line anyway.

It can't be that tight as it doesn't appear to have a check rail, which puts it at greater than 10 chains radius. Not so long ago, a new curve was put in at Ipswich (the BAcon Factory Curve) to allow container trains origniating from the North to access the Felixstowe branch without having to reverse in Ipswich Yard - from recollection (I was a Project Engineer on the job), the curve radius was a tab over 200m (thus avoiding a check rail). There are curves immediately outside Waterloo station that are well under this - 160m radius comes to mind, and I was thoroughly familiar with the curves down to 40m radius on the Docklands Light Railway. Ordinarily, curves that tight are in tramway territory, but the DLR stock had main line profile flange dimensions, not the shallower flanges typical of tramways.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

Not reallynancrve radius issue, but t's worth noting that the shunt moves are done quite smartly, rather than as an exercise in showing off how slowly the loco can go ;-).

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, petejones said:

I was watching a clip of the Wymondham goods train from the 1980s and was struck by the tightness of the curve from where the train originates (see clip below):

https://youtu.be/DhQskpdrm4U?t=52

So tight curves are not unprototypical - on a single line anyway.

Not very tight at all. Look how little the bogies are moving on the 37 relative to the bodywork.

As usual, this "tight" curve is a visual effect caused by the camera lens.

10 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

There is a very tight curve going towards eastleigh from southampton, which is a main line of course

I was in Southampton on Saturday afternoon and just missed a "kettle" slowing down to take that curve at about 15mph.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, jim.snowdon said:

...I was thoroughly familiar with the curves down to 40m radius on the Docklands Light Railway. Ordinarily, curves that tight are in tramway territory, but the DLR stock had main line profile flange dimensions, not the shallower flanges typical of tramways.

The excellent forward view on DLR is helpful in showing what typical OO layout curves look like in reality. That 40m radius is roughly 21" radius in OO, just a hop and a skip from the 24" radius long regarded as the minimum if wanting to move toward 'finescale'...

10 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

There is a very tight curve going towards eastleigh from southampton, which is a main line of course

It has been eased somewhat from its longstanding 4 chains. When operated with mk1 based EMU's those allocated to this route had adjustment to the drawgear and gangway buffing arrangements to permit safe negotiation of this curve. It was always interesting as the train slowly went round, feeling the working parts take up the necessary lateral displacements with accompanying creaks and groans.  (In OO that's a huge 42" radius curve. Hey, if I can fit that radius on my layout, time to go EM or P4...)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Syston,  Grosmont , and carpenters road curve Stratford are three that spring to mind . The latter has a neutral section on it so if you have a 90 +mk3 set you have to make sure you are up to speed or risk getting stuck and causing havoc on the north London line!

• Like 2

Carstairs Station-Carstairs East Jc is IIRC a 15mph curve. And of course the curve at Morpeth, while not as tight as those mentioned above, has been the scene of several derailments.

12 hours ago, woodenhead said:

There used to be sharp curves at Ordsall Lane junction - partly to blame for the demise of 47500.

I assume with the remodelling for the Ordsall curve they were able to ease out the radius

I don't think Ordsall Lane itself has changed.  The curve was marginally under 200m radius (the metric equivalent of 10 chains mentioned above) so should have had a check rail but didn't. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/547c8fbb40f0b60241000159/R072014_140331_Ordsall_Lane_Junction.pdf

• RMweb Premium

They're called flange lubricators.

On the video at the start I get the impression that there's some foreshortening going on that's making the curve look a bit tighter than it really is.

On 23/07/2019 at 09:23, russ p said:

Syston,  Grosmont , and carpenters road curve Stratford are three that spring to mind . The latter has a neutral section on it so if you have a 90 +mk3 set you have to make sure you are up to speed or risk getting stuck and causing havoc on the north London line!

The north curve at Syston is very tight with a 10mph restriction on it whereas the south chord is gentler with only a 40mph restriction.

Another tight one which springs to mins is the Lifford curve just north of Kings Norton in Brum. The S bend at Whitacre to the east of Coleshill is 35mph but feels very sharp when driving over it! The connecting single line chord between Acton Canal Wharf and the Willesden Relief lines is 15mph but is very sharp.

More local to me is the now lifted connection from the Southam branch into Rugby Cement Works at Bilton Sidings, it doesn't look that sharp but 40 009 came a cropper on it one day in 1982 when the usual 25 wasn't available, needless to say, it was the last time a 40 was ever allowed onto the branch!

• Like 2

On 23/07/2019 at 10:34, woodenhead said:

There used to be sharp curves at Ordsall Lane junction - partly to blame for the demise of 47500.

I assume with the remodelling for the Ordsall curve they were able to ease out the radius

Hi Woodenhead,

It is not just the curve at Ordsall Lane that causes locomotive troubles, the bridge there was a bit low for as I remember it was absolutely to blame for the demise of the chimney of 6201 Princess Elizabeth.

Gibbo.

• 1 month later...

Miles Platting curve and a rising gradient for east bound trains, top of the bank at Oldham Werneth(pre tram days), Newton le Willows towards Warrington. 150's would scrape the door steps on the platform. I actually stuck on the curve out of Oldham Mumps heading to Rochdale with a 142.