Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium

They are swinging arms for one axle, beams if they are connecting two. Most modern railway rolling stock is suspended this way but with springs and dampers rather than compensation - not many hornblocks around these days. In this case the knife edge is done simply by trial and error until the frame rides level, if I had designed it as a kit the height and position would have been set with the etches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 22/10/2023 at 13:26, Michael Edge said:

They are swinging arms for one axle, beams if they are connecting two. Most modern railway rolling stock is suspended this way but with springs and dampers rather than compensation - not many hornblocks around these days. In this case the knife edge is done simply by trial and error until the frame rides level, if I had designed it as a kit the height and position would have been set with the etches.

Reading this thread and looking at the images of the 'swinging arms' was a bit of a eureka moment for me.  It completely eliminates the hornblocks.  The biggest shock is that I have been looking at such arrangements for years, at work,  As they say I couldn't see the wood for the trees.......

TF25.jpg.41f04f5347392f66f618da81e3e1f308.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

the LSW lamp sockets which Ironside seems to have kept all its life. There was nothing in the kit for these, they are some of our own etches modified somewhat.

Oddly looking at photos, the ones on the buffer beam were replaced with normal irons at some point, but the smokebox ones stayed as sockets - though I guess they weren't needed much as Guildford shed pilot!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Yes, I noticed that, some SR locos had the LSW socket adapted to take lamps but these don't seem to have been done - as you say they wouldn't have seen much use on Ironside.

I think the adaptation was simply an s-shaped bar that fitted into the socket with the upper part being the shape of a normal lamp bracket - this is the best photo I can find of the one on the tender of 506:

lamp_socket.jpg.0d7970488b070c977fcf1e89606d7b67.jpg

That's similar in that the headstock and top brackets are normal ones (as are all six on the front), but the two in the middle are sockets.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I do as much of the soldering as I can from the inside (our kits are designed to be built that way) and always clean up as I go along, mostly with various scrapers. Dave Studley's comment when he has painted my locos - "I see you've been using invisible solder again".

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a while since I posted one of these but this is the latest test track photo.

Testtrack07-12-23.jpg.193bfa45b8561b4b7afa139f6225edbe.jpg

The Barry 0-8-2T and EE/HL haven't moved for some time now. Next up is the latest 7mm job, a GW 72xx from a Dave  Andrews design - makes a very pleasant change from wrestling with Jidenco kits! Next along the back is one of my customer's Ebay bargains, I though this was ready to convert EM gauge but it's not quite what it seems. It's a white metal kit finished as Cambrian No.44, however it isn't - it's really GW no. 1192 which was rather different and had much smaller wheels - I don't know what to do with this. The SR Ashford 0-6-0DE is still waiting for the 3rd radiator etch and sandbox patterns, the Hornby 08 is part of the DG coupling hook experiments. Nearer the front, no progress with the 0-8-0 Sentinel and the latest EM1 is still waiting its turn in the paintshop. At the front is a B17 which is going to be 61669 "Barnsley", it's time my layouts had at least one green loco. Frames and tender are etched, the body will be a heavily modified Hornby one. The two wagons at the left are the DG coupling test wagons.

We will be at the Manchester exhibition this weekend with the kit stand if anyone wants to come and talk to us about anything - or buy a kit of course!

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Not this first one, I have all the etches to cover any of the 0-8-0s but this one is a long wheelbase loco as built for Normanby Park steelworks. I’ve not done any work on it for some time, there rarely seems to be much interest in steelworks locos, they are mostly poor sellers.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...

Now that looks a hefty beast in 7 mil.    I sometimes regret not grabbing a Hornby one when those were around.   I have been considering grabbing the N scale etches from Worsley.   Problem there is getting the chassis.