Michael Edge's workbench

On 07/01/2024 at 16:48, Michael Edge said:

GW two cylinder locos had the cylinders offset 2.5 inches upwards. T

Not all of them.  The early Saints (William Dean, Albion, the Scott series) had the cylinders offset from the driving wheels (désaxé), but the later Court series were inline.  The Halls (except possibly Saint Martin) were inline, as were the Granges and Manors, I think.  The 28XX and derivatives were offset, and I have to check my two (both Finney kits) now.  Not sure it was always 2.5in either.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2024 at 14:46, Michael Edge said:

Another job finished today, Barry H 0-8-2T

IMG_2478.jpg.83b57eb9fb10053361c6e26dbc4f0a9d.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg.8d6551ff96735d68f55b96b3f07688c1.jpg

It was only recently, upon gradual acquisition of various books concerning the railways of South Wales (especially the excellent Pen & Sword series by John Hodge) that I became aware of the sheer and interesting variety of pre-grouping motive power in use in that area. That's a lovely model, Mike, really nice to see one of these modelled.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

It was only recently, upon gradual acquisition of various books concerning the railways of South Wales (especially the excellent Pen & Sword series by John Hodge) that I became aware of the sheer and interesting variety of pre-grouping motive power in use in that area. That's a lovely model, Mike, really nice to see one of these modelled.

It has been on the workbench for ages.. and ages... what next one wonders.. I would imagine a fleet of EM1s...

Baz

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have two NER A2 4-6-2s to build for Geoff Linsdell, unfortunately I've mislaid all his contact information since he gave them to me at York last year. If there's anyone on here who knows him can they help? This should have been my next job after finishing the 72xx.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael

I look on in envy at your very tidy storage facilities, of locos in various stages of assembly. I am sad to say mine are scattered around the room. I assume off stage their boxes are equally stored as neatly off camera ? and I guess its a case of a clean and tidy work bench with one loco and box of parts at a time ?  What's the secret please

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s only the test track that’s tidy, the bench is the usual tip!

The test track only contains items being worked on ( or likely to be) , there are also piles of boxes in other places.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/03/2024 at 05:42, Michael Edge said:

yet another LBSC D1 (Albion kit)

How many does that make in total now?

I've made a start on one of my E5's. Pretty impressed with the Albion Kit, not quite like shiny lego, but not far off. I assume the D1 is similar?

11 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

... plus an E1 which is the same kit. 

Yes, you get common parts for the D1 and E1 with half etched lines to trim some of them for a D1(*). Otherwise it flies together. 

* In case anyone is thinking that Albion cheated and used the same body for both types and ignored the dimensional differences, like Finecast did.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2023 at 11:07, Michael Edge said:

I got this back from Warren Haywood at the weekend.

IMG_1951.jpg.d4b0b81afc2a643606e9b4548857d1ca.jpg

7mm Janus, I've got to glaze it and fit the crankpin roller bearing covers now.

If anyone is interested in seeing this running...

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

On 06/03/2024 at 11:03, pete_mcfarlane said:

Yes, you get common parts for the D1 and E1 with half etched lines to trim some of them for a D1(*). Otherwise it flies together. 

* In case anyone is thinking that Albion cheated and used the same body for both types and ignored the dimensional differences, like Finecast did.

Just out of interest, is the Finecast kit correct for the D1 OR the E1, and does this apply to the more modern SE Finecast, or just the original Wills one? 

I have a SEF D1 on the bench. It's the same basic kit as the wills with a newer etched chassis. The dimensions are correct for the E1. But that has been put on pause since I discovered the C14 kit existed. That will be next in line :) 

1 hour ago, Mr chapman said:

I have a SEF D1 on the bench. It's the same basic kit as the wills with a newer etched chassis. The dimensions are correct for the E1. But that has been put on pause since I discovered the C14 kit existed. That will be next in line :) 

Interesting,I was kind of hoping it was correct for a D1 but wrong for the E1, then I would have an excuse to build it as a D1 and buy a Rapido 6 wheel version!

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Didn't someone on here correct the SEF D1 by shortening the bunker?

Hand up here. That was me, although probably amongst others.

Not finished it yet though and photos are on my old phone, but it seems that post is one of the few still with it's photos;

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another Hecate just finished, ready for the paintshop.

23-05Hecaterf.jpg.3f7a432b7fbe8eccaa43b81561647a0d.jpg

This time with the original boiler and open coal rails, to be painted in SR black with green lining - the lining will be subcontracted to Dave Studley though.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1