Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium

I do have a little bit of "insider information" but I am guessing that it 9mm:1ft, running on O gauge track to represent the 3ft 6ins.

I did build something for that scale once upon a time, arranged via Mike.

242761511_GlenorchyModelsdiesel075.jpg.fb1d1fc5d8e37ad9a52f4b7b49e412d3.jpg822817242_GlenorchyModelsdiesel076.jpg.9c346ea5286ef941430e07ed3b6ace1f.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I do have a little bit of "insider information" but I am guessing that it 9mm:1ft, running on O gauge track to represent the 3ft 6ins.

242761511_GlenorchyModelsdiesel075.jpg.fb1d1fc5d8e37ad9a52f4b7b49e412d3.jpg822817242_GlenorchyModelsdiesel076.jpg.9c346ea5286ef941430e07ed3b6ace1f.jpg

I'll second that now, having been half-right earlier.

• RMweb Premium

All round the target but here's one I made earlier.

373933054_09-21bl.JPG.6a4668c250a0aa1ba0edafb591096991.JPG23760952_09-21fr.JPG.0c003f85dcd5d87e6d2dfea8e78a8d72.JPG

This one is indeed 9mm scale as Tony guessed, running on O gauge track bu the latest one is a reduction of the earlier etch in 1:48 scale. This runs on S gauge track (7/8 in or 22.22mm) but still with Slater's O gauge wheels. This scale is of course also the US O gauge and my main NZ customer is changing to it. The multiplicity of scales and gages used by Kiwi modellers is simply mind boggling, sometimes I think everyone uses their own. Most curious of all though is that the one and only commercial scale which gives an almost exact 3'6" gauge doesn't appear to be used at all in New Zealand - this is HOm, nominally metre gauge bu actually closer to 3'6". We have supplied NZ loco etches in this scale - but to a customer in Canada.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Slightly better photo of the two Hudson tipplers.

IMG_1862.jpg.17a5b1cbe5fbc7a3c15418aee96d26b7.jpg

It made a nice change building these, although the instructions took a bit of puzzling out the parts went together well. I'm not really sure what to do about painting these, generally they were just filth and rust but they must have started out with some paint on them. These are on the 00 track, the phosphor bronze rail nearest the camera is the extra one I had to add for the NZ 1:48 stuff, it will come in useful if I ever have to build anything in S scale.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

IMG_20221230_101327.jpg.e9634311e1e9b808be4aeb364b6cc912.jpgDirt cans can be addictive as you try to track down photos of prototype wagons and copy their little idiosyncrasies, such as mismatched wheelsets and brake gear. Before intensive weathering I finished mine in matt Railfrieght red from Precision Paints.

Edited by doilum
  • Like 10

14 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The multiplicity of scales and gages used by Kiwi modellers is simply mind boggling, sometimes I think everyone uses their own. Most curious of all though is that the one and only commercial scale which gives an almost exact 3'6" gauge doesn't appear to be used at all in New Zealand - this is HOm, nominally metre gauge bu actually closer to 3'6". We have supplied NZ loco etches in this scale - but to a customer in Canada.

This accurately sums up the absolute madness that modelling the NZR seems to be. Lots of very skilled people amongst that mess of scale and gauge though. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Mike,

Can I pick your brains, I am converting a Branchlines Dinorwic chassis for a 7/8ths Tinkerbell... the instructions call for folding and soldering the side and connecting rods  as one unit to increase the thickness, what solder would you use. (I can't get any answers from Branchlines)

As part of the footplate / running plate construction I have silver soldered some parts... 

Appreciate your thoughts

John

• RMweb Premium

Same solder I use for nearly everything - 62s, lead/tin with 2% silver.

Some kits have these parts arranged to fold over as you say but I would still put broaches through two of the holes to make sure they are in alignment before soldering, There's no need to pre-tin the parts, just run solder along the edges, it will go right through by capillary action.

I can't tell you anything about silver soldering, I've never needed to do it - right up to the largest scale model I've ever built, 1/12th scale Hunslet rack loco for the Channel Tunnel. This is it , now in the Hunslet museum at Statfold.

1775776650_87-06HEracklocolssmall.jpg.b0b77ede7661fd7ebe15a0ab96405b3b.jpg

This is mostly steel sheet, soft soldered together but I think the corners of the cab have brass angle to reinforce them. I built it in 1987, this is the only digital photo I have of it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 06/02/2023 at 17:09, Jack P said:

This accurately sums up the absolute madness that modelling the NZR seems to be. Lots of very skilled people amongst that mess of scale and gauge though. 

I'd disagree with that, theres only 3 main scales used locally: 9mm on 32mm gauge track, S scale on 16.5mm and TT on 9mm. 1:48 is muttered about but hasn't entered the mainstream as far as I can tell.

Back in the day (40-50 years ago) it seemed quite sensible to base a scale/gauge combination around the track that was comercially avaliable rather than all the other bits. Either that or everyone was too lazy to make their own track. It was also very difficult to order stuff from overseas untill the mid/late 80's.

Contrast that with the UK scene where I can think of 6 different scales off the top of my head with 2 having 3 different track guages which to me seems utterly beserk.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've done work in other scales as well, 1:48 seems like a good idea to me and there will be some loco kits available at least. I still don't know why nobody uses the well supported (in Europe) HOm. It's not really just about the track gauge, using a commercial scale means that all sorts of other stuff is available as well so HO or 1:48 (US O gauge) makes a lot more sense to me.

I have seen a lot of superb work in 1:64 and 9mm scale, I just think it makes building a layout harder, not easier.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I've done work in other scales as well, 1:48 seems like a good idea to me and there will be some loco kits available at least. I still don't know why nobody uses the well supported (in Europe) HOm. It's not really just about the track gauge, using a commercial scale means that all sorts of other stuff is available as well so HO or 1:48 (US O gauge) makes a lot more sense to me.

I have seen a lot of superb work in 1:64 and 9mm scale, I just think it makes building a layout harder, not easier.

1:64 on 16.5mm track is very common in Australia.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

As an amusing aside modeling New Zealand railways in 1:48 first turn up as an April fools joke in the New Zealand Model Railway Guild Journal in April 1990.

And your arguments could also be used for British HO, but like in NZ we would need a time machine to solve it.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2023 at 21:31, t-b-g said:

lovely little Hudswell youve got there

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, sir douglas said:

lovely little Hudswell youve got there

Thanks. It was one I built and painted for a customer, so I don't have it any longer but it was great fun to build.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2023 at 16:22, Michael Edge said:

Latest test track photo today.

215942032_testtrack23-03-23.jpg.356d1b1eb8bf786e574c2d9abc7f57ea.jpg

BR Hudswell 0-6-0DM, just moulding patterns to do for this

Hi Mike - sorry if I've missed this on your thread, but is the Hudswell due for release in due course, please?