Mozzer's new work bench 4mm That Welsh Brake Van building A AA/24

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one of these getting close to the top of the "to do" list so it's good to see one under construction..

I've always fancied a go at both split-chassis construction and CSB suspension and the moment I took it out of the box I thought it was an ideal candidate for both, but I'm a bit wary of taking two leaps into the unknown at the same time.  What do you reckon?

I've got one of these getting close to the top of the "to do" list so it's good to see one under construction..

I've always fancied a go at both split-chassis construction and CSB suspension and the moment I took it out of the box I thought it was an ideal candidate for both, but I'm a bit wary of taking two leaps into the unknown at the same time.  What do you reckon?

I can not help as i have never done either

Today i have been seeing how the moter fits in to the loco

looking like this kit started out as a 7mm kit as the rear frame spacer get in theway so i had to remove it then shorten it then i had to lower the top of the frames so the moter mounts axles holes lineup with the ones in the frames

10312423113_3c02632ea1_z.jpg

003 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

10312258875_db32c752af_z.jpg

004 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

10312416903_29d2caaa09_z.jpg

005 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

10312214484_04cba1728f_z.jpg

006 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

I went with the white metal castings for the tank this left me with work so the tank would sit low enough by removing some of the insde of the casting

• Like 2

Looking great so far. I think the majority of Mercians kits started life as 7mm etches, scaled down. 

I would have been tempted to mount the motor horizontally in the boiler barrel, using a higher-sitting gearbox - but this option doesn't look intrusive once the back head is installed. 

Is the tank supplied as a single casting? Did you elude to the fact there is a choice of media to built the tank? an etched option perhaps?

Pre-war Barclay locos do have a certain charm about them - looking forward to seeing it develop

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

Looking great so far. I think the majority of Mercians kits started life as 7mm etches, scaled down. 

I would have been tempted to mount the motor horizontally in the boiler barrel, using a higher-sitting gearbox - but this option doesn't look intrusive once the back head is installed. 

Is the tank supplied as a single casting? Did you elude to the fact there is a choice of media to built the tank? an etched option perhaps?

Pre-war Barclay locos do have a certain charm about them - looking forward to seeing it develop

Paul A.

As with most models i build this is been built to order & i am using what was sent with the kit by the customer

there is a etch tank in the kit but i was asked to build it with the white metal one

• Like 1

Mike, I have just finished (well almost) a RSH from Highlevel with CSB's... on such a small loco and building it to P4 with the bespoke gearbox I really havn't seen any difference in running compared to my Blackhawthorn which is compensated. So I would say yes to CSBing the front axle but leave the back axle fixed.... Biggest hassle with most of these things is the clearance behind the cross head to the crank pin. I would say all doable but the Split chassis due to the clearances might be a bit too far.

This kit is been a pain

I am building it as GWR 701 which has a full cab back & cab side window but the GWR cab that come with the kit has the No cab side windows so i have had to cut & shut the cab sides to get what is needed

well the kit is now done & ready for painting once i have fitted the handrail knobs & rail on the tank sides & the smokebox dart

No photos to day as the parts are drying after having a good wash will try & take some tomorrow

Mosser how did you find the kit? was it a easy hard, fitted well/ not? Any heads up on what the problems could be?

I would quite like to build a Barclay... may be a scratch built at some time... though I would need diagrams etc... which I find difficult to access from Australia.

Mosser how did you find the kit? was it a easy hard, fitted well/ not? Any heads up on what the problems could be?

I would quite like to build a Barclay... may be a scratch built at some time... though I would need diagrams etc... which I find difficult to access from Australia.

It looks like the kit started out as a 7mm scale kit so the clearence are very small

the body is fine it just the chassie that not so good

Is the right-hand piston rod bent or is that a trick of the camera?

Nice job in any case

Paul A.

No Paul it is bent as the pre above

by the time you have the wheels & rods in place there is no room for the piston slide & rod so i have had to bend the piston slides & piston rod so it will work as it is there are very close between the pin of the front wheel & the back of the piston linkage that after taking as much as i dare of the pin & the back of the linkage

the other way would be to move out the Cylinders but then the loco would be out of gauge

Edited by mozzer models

The cross head clearance always seems to be a difficulty. Chris at High level kits in each of the kits I have built recommends certain dodges such as single thickness rod to the crank pin and having only the crankpin nut from Alan gibson turned wrong way round. I will keep this kit in the back of my mind for when I am looking for another challange!... On to the Dave Bradwell J26 I think

Nice looking model but if I could pick up on a small point: Ramsbottom safety valves are made from cast iron for the main upstands and the spring and easing lever (crossbar at the top) are steel so should probably not be painted to represent polished brass.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear, clearly the chassis was an afterthought...

Clearly a result of the scale down from 7mm. and almost inevitable failure to test build to find and remedy such issues prior to marketing. The common attitude of - well we provided it in 4mm you can find your own solution to the build problems. A bit of shame really given that it looks quite good in other areas. I'd guess there are a few of these in boxes incomplete or non-runners.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working a Deans Sidings kit of a GWR County Tank

these kits are nice & quick to build as most of the work is done for you with the resing body which only needs the detail adding

I have got the kit built & started painting the body

11056568393_c66cc414f8_c.jpg

100_6557 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

11056403305_cf59b225c9_c.jpg

100_6558 by Mozzer models, on Flickr

• Like 3

That's looking really impressive mozzer :yes: . I have built an M&L version (later Gibson) but I imagine the dean Sidings one is a lot quicker to build. I do like the rangey look of the County tank, emphasised by those long shallow side tanks. They seem to stride along when in motion :locomotive:

Adrian