Bourton on the Water

Baggies1961

• RMweb Gold

Hi Julian, glad you are getting on OK with the kits. My brake van was a brass kit from Connoisseur Models.

I think adding some weight will be a good idea. I can see myself doing that on mine.

I have been busy on my kits today.

Cheers, Ade.

• Thanks 1

On 18/04/2020 at 23:01, Baggies1961 said:

Thanks Ian will look at your weathering of the ballast you did.

Will think about cleaning the filthy 33, what would you use to remove factory weathered dirt?

on my oo Heljan 47 I just used a cotton bud with enamel thinners on and gently rubbed downwards until I got the finish I was looking for. Pays to not rub too hard

• Thanks 1

Stumbled on an interesting You Tube channel the other night concerning track cleaning. This chap was very much anti track rubbers to clean track or any product with silicone in.

His preferred method was to use a similar product to WD40 ( he was in australia), stressing trains complete the electrical circuit on the track, they dont need the rubbish track rubbers leave on them.

This then got me thinking just what do the rest of us on the rm web use to clean their track.

Im looking forward to hearing what used out there.

Edited by Baggies1961
Spelling error.
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Baggies1961 said:

Stumbled on an interesting You Tube channel the other night concerning track cleaning. This chap was very much anti track rubbers to clean track or any product with silicone in.

His preferred method was to use a similar product to WD40 ( he was in australia), stressing trains complete the electrical circuit on the track, they dont need the rubbish track rubbers leave on them.

This then got me thinking just what do the rest of us on the rm web use to clean their track.

I normally use a small block of wood.

• Thanks 1

On 23/04/2020 at 01:56, Baggies1961 said:

ive never had any issue with using my peco track rubber

• Thanks 1

No me neither.

I've also used some of the bigger blocks available mainly to ride over the track better and not catch in the rails when cleaning point work however, I do swear by "keep alive" too.

I have tried WD40 on a rag as a last clean wipe before a gentle polish off then a gentle hoover up of any bits about the track.

I have heard of people using brake fluid but I have never had a problem that the rubber couldn't fix and I don't want to get into creating a gunge that will get into my locos.

Best

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I am still old school at the moment and use a Peco track rubber.

I know there is talk of problems with these making micro scratches to the rails which in turn can hold dirt.

I may well turn to a liquid cleaner in the long run. I did a little experiment simply out of curiosity and cleaned as usual with the rubber, then VERY carefully cleaned the top of the rail with a paper towel with some acetone on it. The muck which came off on the towel was black. I would not recommend using this BTW. Nasty stuff and it will harm the plastic sleepers and chairs. But it does show that "clean" is not always clean.

I am pretty pedantic about keeping things clean and before the first trains ran I cleaned the wheels on everything. But track does get dirty simply from the air.  I had not cleaned the track for a week or so and after the test shunt with the new Slaters carriages noticed the wheels were filthy after running! 

Having said all of this, not had any real issues with dirty track. A good overall cleaning regime is paramount.

Cheers, Ade.

• RMweb Gold

As pictures always speak louder than words, I have just done to few snaps to illustrate the above post.

1st pic is the bottom rail only cleaned with the track rubber.

2nd pic is uncleaned track.

3rd pic shows the cloth after doing an Acetone wipe over the clean rail.

4th pic shows the clean rail after the Acetone.

5th pic shows the cloth after wiping a dirty rail without track rubber cleaning. Black!

6th pic shows the muck on clean wheels after a run on dirty track.

Cheers, Ade.

Bottom_rail_only_cleaned..jpg

Uncleaned_track.jpg

Acetone wipe over the clean track.jpg

Acetone_cleaned_botton_rail.jpg

20200426_102114.jpg

20200426_102220.jpg

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
Pic transposed
  • Like 2

Thanks Ade, very interesting I started this due to my electrical issues I was having.

Im now thinking Andy was right ‘back to backs’ might be out.

What this chap said was interesting in that he considered a loco to be part of an electrical circuit where clean track was paramount.

Rubbers do clean and yes leave mes and micro scratch but I now am more ocd cleaning point blade contacts etc.

Thanks for your pictures.

Regards

Julian.

• Like 2