The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I know you should'nt laugh but ..................

Sidecar Racer

• RMweb Premium

My brother built one; he spent so long building it with so much care that he wouldn't fly it in case he crashed it. 

PS: he later bought and completely rebuilt a Fowler ploughing engine, with even more care, but he does at least use that one.

Edited by rab
  • Like 3

Quite a few of those have the air of owners whose ability to afford models has significantly outstripped their ability to fly them. Some were unfortunate, but a few seemed to be the result of the sort of rookie error that should have been eliminated by lots of practice with smaller, cheaper, less time consuming and, frankly, less likely to kill bystanders when you cock it up, planes.

• Like 2

The commentator's voice on that video is particularly annoying.

There are quite a number of these videos on Youtube, but this one is quite spectacular. Think I'll stick to railways!

Edited by JeremyC
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Dungrange said:

At least when our model trains derail, they tend not to end up in a pile of broken bits.  It could be an expensive hobby if you were to crash too often.

Having watched a complete train arrive at an open fiddle yard,  while the cassette was missing,  I'd disagree,  the whole lot arrived on a tiled exhibition  hall  in lots of pieces.  Right in front of the guest of honour who'd opened the show a couple of minutes earlier.. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

7 hours ago, PatB said:

Quite a few of those have the air of owners whose ability to afford models has significantly outstripped their ability to fly them. Some were unfortunate, but a few seemed to be the result of the sort of rookie error that should have been eliminated by lots of practice with smaller, cheaper, less time consuming and, frankly, less likely to kill bystanders when you cock it up, planes.

A chap at a company I used to work at was into R/C aircraft, and he said similar; they may be models, but the principles of flight are exactly the same as with the 'real thing', so you really do need to learn how to fly 'properly', albeit watching a model from the ground, rather than sitting in a real plane. 

• RMweb Gold

I remember going for a walk in Concord Park in Sheffield when I was a lad and seeing a guy with RC helicopter. After watching him set it all up, it got about 10ft in the air before a gust of wind tipped it sideways and it plummeted to the ground. It wasn't going to be flying again anytime soon.

• RMweb Gold

Friend of mine from Caerphilly was walking his dog on the mountain some years ago when he came across a chap with a very finely detailed R/C Spitfire, 1/6th scale.  This even sounded like a Merlin engined aircraft.  It was on it's first test flight, had taken 8 years to build, cost the earth, and was magnificent.  It's owner explained that this was it's first test flight and that all he was going to do was see that it could fly straight and level, so a few hundred yards and back.  

It took off, and instantly flew in a perfect straight line, climbing slowly.  It kept going.  And going.  Still in a dead straight line, climbing slowly.  And still going...

And as far as my friend knows, it's still going!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Some of those incidents are quite instructive though. The big, twin engined thingy, for example, seems to have been the victim of a classic stall-spin situation, that's killed an awful lot of pilots of full size planes. Tight turn at low speed and low altitude, inner wing stalls because it's travelling slowest, aircraft starts to enter a spin and there's no room to correct and get both wings flying again before hitting the ground.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2019 at 01:15, chris p bacon said:

Does it fly then ?

No, but it's a bit more tolerant of mistakes

not that he ever makes any, he treats it

rather carefully!

• Like 1