RMweb

Bad Ebay buy

DarthPaul

I really like Athearn Locos and found 3 Santa Fe locos for sale last week

1 x sd40-2 (5072)

1 x GE-B ( 6308)

1 x sd-45 (235)

I put a bid in and won them cheaper than expected. This was a job lot of 3 and the listing did state that the locos were in varying states of used condition, not a problem for the price. Well, they arrived today and after unboxing them I realised one of the locos was a little lite so took the body off only to find that the motor had been cut out :( I then decided to check the others and found the second one had the motor but both couplings were broken :( I'm scared to check the third one In fear that the weight inside is just a lot of pebbles lol.  beware when buying off Ebay. 

15712285757138574623239661585390.jpg

15712285903112675065667207270676.jpg

Before doing anything do look again at the listing and read exactly what is written

" varying states of used condition" ,could mean anything,

If this is the only description, I personally would complain. But without seeing the full description its hard to advise

32 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Yes John that is the one. There is no mention at all in the description that they are non runners. As I said a little disappointing but more amusing when I took the body off and there was nothing there. I'm sure more will come up when this is sorted so I get the fun of looking again now.

I for one would be very disappointed to find that any of these locos were incomplete and missing parts.

Ebay are advertising money back gtee !!  

I would also expect the seller to cover all costs to return the models

Good luck

Edited by hayfield
  • Agree 1

I'm not sure I'd concur with the above - I say this as an Ebay buyer who has never sold anything!

The description says nothing about working, although I suppose it doesn't say "untested" or "not working" either.

"Wear" is a vague term to cover anything not mint. Is it reasonable to expect the seller to have taken the locos apart to see if there's anything inside?

On the second one you mention, are the motor couplings actually broken, or do they simply need connecting up - by releasing the bogies to give some play and then re-securing?

I'd certainly inspect no.3 before doing anything.

For what you paid, probably not a bad price for them even if listed "Spares and repairs", although I appreciate that wasn't the description.

Just a personal view, nothing more.

John.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry, but this is a major discrepancy. It would be one thing if they were complete, but turned out to be non-working. The description doesnt say yhey had been tested and working. They're missing major components!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible to make one good one out of the three ? Maybe worth offering to keep them for a £20 refund if it is, stating it would save a full refund and him paying return postage plus ebay fees and then you might be able to use left overs for spares.  Just a thought :good_mini:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

"Wear" is a vague term to cover anything not mint. Is it reasonable to expect the seller to have taken the locos apart to see if there's anything inside?

For something to 'wear' it has to be complete and working, eventually that 'wear' will cause it to stop working but it will still be complete so something described as worn might or might not work and that is fair enough but they will still be complete, but these are missing major components so describing them as only 'worn' is misleading at best and fraudulent at worst.

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, DarthPaul said:

15712285903112675065667207270676.jpg

The shaft just needs to be re-installed in the u-joint and then the copper strip put back under the steel(?) piece rising up from the truck. Should be good to go then. And maybe clean the commutator and re-seat the brushes.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Agree 1

I have looked at the listing again granted it does not say any are working, but and I think more importantly neither does it say any are not working let alone missing parts

Facts  States they are used!! Wear varies from one another

However see eBays note of condition   See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections

The only imperfections stated is ware !! Not working and missing items is not normal wear in my book

The seller then goes on to say  Please See photographs

I feel the important element is the condition of the chassis, which would have clearly shown the true condition of the locos

Good luck

Maico

I think this thread might help others in a similar situation, too many buyers are sold things which turn out not to be what they were purported to be, and just accept it as a bit of bad luck

Secondly its up to the seller (not the buyer) to pay for the items to be returned, many are unaware of their rights

• RMweb Gold

'beware when buying off Ebay'

Not necessarily, in my opinion just a bit of due diligence is called for. I use eBay a lot for purchases (despite statements to the contrary, there still are bargains to be had), buy from all over the world, only use a snipe program so I'm not tempted to up the ante, and, touch wood, have only had one bad one in nearly 700 transactions.

BUT I would never buy from anyone that hasn't built up a reasonable feedback reputation both in numbers and positive reviews no matter how glittering the prize might look. To me that's a no brainer.

Edited by PhilH
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Maico

I think this thread might help others in a similar situation, too many buyers are sold things which turn out not to be what they were purported to be, and just accept it as a bit of bad luck

Secondly its up to the seller (not the buyer) to pay for the items to be returned, many are unaware of their rights

If you file a claim and the seller doesn't contest it a prepaid return label can be printed out straight away.. The seller's account is debited. I had to return a loco a couple of months ago that wasn't working.

If the seller does contest the claim it goes into the ebay arbitration process. The buyer normally wins.

(I used to run a small business selling expensive German watches on ebay and have to say it worked pretty well. In 2000 transactions I had 1 return. Clear photos, accurate description and some decent feedback)

Edited by maico
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, maico said:

There is no need for any discussion, just file a claim for not as described and ebay will refund the transaction on proof of return. The item should of been listed as spares or repair.

You do get sellers that have no idea of what an item is (model railway items that belonged to a late modeller?).

In such cases they ought to state something on the lines (sorry!) of, 'I have no idea if the item works or not'.

Such comments would at least inform would be buyers, that the item is either a bargain or a pile of rubbish! Any one buying under those conditions, should understand the risk & accept the consequences - good or bad. 

3 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

You do get sellers that have no idea of what an item is (model railway items that belonged to a late modeller?).

In such cases they ought to state something on the lines (sorry!) of, 'I have no idea if the item works or not'.

Such comments would at least inform would be buyers, that the item is either a bargain or a pile of rubbish! Any one buying under those conditions, should understand the risk & accept the consequences - good or bad. 

True, I recently bought a Trix Crocodile which belonged to someone who had checked out. Sitting new in box for some 18 years (based on the serial number) it of course arrived seized unknown to the ebay seller. I arranged a lower price with the seller and spent the next 2 days fettling to get it running !  The seller just described it as 'new' which was inaccurate but the price was way bellow the original list so worth a punt given the buyer protection ebay/paypal brings.

On 17/10/2019 at 15:03, kevinlms said:

I have spoken to the lady selling the item and this ^^^^ is exactly what has happened. In fairness the lady selling the items has been great about it and said she knows nothing about the sets she has. We have agreed to a partial refund for the loco with no motor and I have said she may be best to take the rest of the collection to a local club or model shop for some advice about what she has and condition. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A similar situation to me. I bought a job lot of boxed Lima stock at a good price after making an offer. Pictures were taken in their boxes. When they arrived two of the mk1 coaches were sans bogies. I let her know and she was very apologetic and sent me two more and declined my offer to return the broken items. I left her very good feedback as mistakes happen. I’m not infallible myself when listing and I’m a modeller. 

Ps anyone have four Lima mk1 bogies lol? 

• Like 1