What's on your 3mm workbench

Hi Andrew, thanks for the kind words.

Removing Triang wagon bodies from chassis can be very difficult. My 16t minerals were impossible to slide out even trying to prize up at the lip end and pull at the same time, super tight. So I had to break the plastic body main attachment lugs off. Once upgrade work completed the bodies were bonded back onto the chassis. 

I have a rake of Triang Presflos to do, they are all super tight as well, so will have to do the same.

However, the brake vans did all slide out from the chassis ok, both the Toad and the BR 20t vans. 

Good luck with your own 3mm / TT3 / TT100 modelling and please post up your work bench progress on here, I look forward to it. 

And if you have a layout, be great to see it on the main layouts thread.

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on the air braked vans build. Now at the ex paint shop, pre decals stage. Decals arrived today from Railtec, 3mm scale BR Railfreight logo sheet and TOPS panel sheet for VAA, VBA, VCA.

DSCF69092.jpg.d5f60ff59c7096610ac1161e6cf1ceaf.jpg

The quartet. VCA on the left, other three are VAAs.

DSCF69112.jpg.2f372ecd8dc7bd32bbd01a097c57838f.jpg

Close up of the VCA.

DSCF69122.jpg.914c9ca526237b978a8750b5a150ffc1.jpg

Close up of one of the three VAAs.

Ended up doing them all in freight brown, but like the look of the later speedlink grey / red band livery, but its a little beyond my layout time frame.

I will wait a few days before applying the decals, as I want the paint to harden off a bit before sloshing around the decalfix.

Hope this continues to be of some interest.

• Like 3

Air braked vans further update, 

IMG_20231011_200414_2272.jpg.d6ba968278359aa7acb6ba5faaea2fc0.jpg

Paint shop decals work just completed on the quartet.

With reference to Paul Bartletts hugely useful website, I have had a look at the freight brown example photos and decided on generic decalling but with reference to the positioning and decal configurations on the prototypes.

IMG_20231011_200449_6842.jpg.f9f124100623aeaf06b4fdc989534466.jpg

So above is the VAA scheme, with TOPS panel and BR RAILFREIGHT. The VBA follows suit.

IMG_20231011_200425_5902.jpg.16d393a879e71fd86590ee0014c960de.jpg

However, some pics showing the VCAs carrying BR double arrows up into the turn of the 1980s, so for a bit of variation I decided to go the double arrow route for my single VCA.

The decal fix is still wet in the above pics. A few days ago, I applied thinned down Humbrol gloss cote to the decal patch area and let it dry and harden for 2 days.

Today, applied the Railtec 3mm scale waterslide transfers. Soaked in water to lift them, brushed decal fix over the gloss patch, got excess water off the transfer / carrier with kitchen towel, then slid off the transfer with a fine paint brush and padded more decal fix on and tweaked positioning with a cocktail stick.

The van sides are quite ridged so I am anticipating (hoping) they settle flat. Normally I find just decal fix is sufficient to eliminate the dreaded white sheen, but given these van sides are not flat, gone the belt and braces route.

An interesting side note, comparing the last 2 posts, just how different the colours look from my proper camera and tablet camera (this post), plus lighting, white balance etc....

Thanks for the continued interest folks. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, a final update on the quartet of air braked vans. Weathering completed and two coats of rattle can matt varnish applied.

Job done.....

DSCF6984.jpg.349e301679ea2bd2111600caa37ad675.jpg

VAA variant. Moderate weathering (on all 4) and the usual dark streaks of staining below door handle pockets.

DSCF6983.jpg.a3b78086c5494f14df9e1eadd5913120.jpg

VBA variant. Did thus one with a lighter colour roof so the roof weathering shows up more as a consequence.

DSCF6985.jpg.e0b07d6a38cf807281cd64392ae3e6dd.jpg

VCA variant. This one is a bit more obvious with the centre doors. The pic does not show the door pocket staining runs up very well, they do look more subtle with the MK I eyeball. The harsh lighting for photography does not not help either.

DSCF6987.jpg.ff8d5c7b69ebd7eebc069359b12e4635.jpg

Chassis view and roof view.

So that's it for these on this thread. See my Layout topic High Peak Junction for "on layout" pictures.

Thanks to all looking in.

Edited by TT100 Diesels
Removed text no longer relevant
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks again for the interest shown in the air braked vans project.

Moved on to a loco this time, finally blown the dust off my Lincoln-Oaks nearly Ready to Run Class 08.

IMG_20231104_162904_9842.jpg.8ab155f2c3f0992f7c0c703f5001c8fd.jpg

So, what's in the box? A lovely Geoff Helliwell (Oak Tree Engineering) micro production run motorised chassis, etched wheel balance weights, Lincoln Locos, 3d prints - 08 main body, radiator grille, buffers and vac cylinders.

IMG_20231104_162952_5202.jpg.85e54aa895648c0299f55b51383527ab.jpg

Jobs so far, cleaning up some print blemishes ready for a bit of filler on the front end and top of r/h windscreen. General clean up of print "pips" on the bottom edge of the underframe and using a blade to clean out some print artifacts in the lower cab door area on both doors. Opened out the printed pilot holes in the buffer beams ready to fit the buffers.

IMG_20231104_162943_0022.jpg.309d5f80bd032a5f25b02d9d804c4f53.jpg

And drilling holes for the longitudinal handrails near the bonnet top. Also a bit of cleaning up of a prominent print ridge on the roof. But overall, a lovely body.

Then all the 3d printed stuff has had a good wash with hot water and non lanolin washing up liquid to de-grease. 

So, off the starting blocks, just !

Hope this is of interest.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What you might find is that the clearances on the rods to platform could be negative!  not sure if  possible to simplify due to jointed rods. I missed out on a chassis so only seen others running. 

The concept of nrtr is very good allowing a good model easily with the "fun" of the chassis well dealt with the good work done by Geoff.

On my bench I made a school boy error and put wrong buffers on my 31 - so will need to see it is possible to renumber my way out of it or more likely have to fit the correct buffers!  

Robert  

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Robert,

I have test run the basic loco round High Peak Junction a while back and there are no gauge infringements happily.

Sorry to hear about your 31 buffers issue. I believe they all had oval buffers, did you fit round ones? Anyway, good luck with getting it sorted out ok.

Cheers

TT 100 Diesels

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Hi Robert,

I have test run the basic loco round High Peak Junction a while back and there are no gauge infringements happily.

Sorry to hear about your 31 buffers issue. I believe they all had oval buffers, did you fit round ones? Anyway, good luck with getting it sorted out ok.

Cheers

TT 100 Diesels

Yes school boy error !! should beable to push out from behind as I opened holes out to get the 3D printed shafts into the holes , just a spot of glue!  What photos have shown is that the 31/4 had a cutaway faring si will need to file a bit of the model.  Also some had the fan upstand cowl so will need to be careful on numbering- it will be rail blue no orange line no headlamp- making life easier, the Hondawander website a great worm hole of loco phots!

robert 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

How is the final drive done with that n20 motor?

Hi Michael,

Geoff Helliwell, used nylon pinions off the motor gearbox output shaft to transfer the drive down to a nylon crown wheel on an end axle.

Not sure what ratios he used though, but it runs slow and sweet. I am not a coupled chassis builder, just grateful Geoff was willing to do a cottage industry production run for 3mm society members on a pre order basis, at the time.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Hi Michael,

Geoff Helliwell, used nylon pinions off the motor gearbox output shaft to transfer the drive down to a nylon crown wheel on an end axle.

Not sure what ratios he used though, but it runs slow and sweet. I am not a coupled chassis builder, just grateful Geoff was willing to do a cottage industry production run for 3mm society members on a pre order basis, at the time.

Hello Dave,

Any chance of a photo from the underneath of the 08 chassis please to see how Geoff has managed this as Alan Smith is trying to build a Hunslet shunter (etches by Mike I believe) but is struggling to get the motor in using a High Level gear box, as I also have one to build the more 'ideas' and combinations we see may be useful. That said I have one of Geoff's Hudswell Clarkes so maybe I should be looking there instead of the 08 which must have more room to play with. I'd still be interested though.

Regards,

Ian.

22 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Hi all, thanks again for the interest shown in the air braked vans project.

Moved on to a loco this time, finally blown the dust off my Lincoln-Oaks nearly Ready to Run Class 08.

IMG_20231104_162904_9842.jpg.8ab155f2c3f0992f7c0c703f5001c8fd.jpg

So, what's in the box? A lovely Geoff Helliwell (Oak Tree Engineering) micro production run motorised chassis, etched wheel balance weights, Lincoln Locos, 3d prints - 08 main body, radiator grille, buffers and vac cylinders.

IMG_20231104_162952_5202.jpg.85e54aa895648c0299f55b51383527ab.jpg

Jobs so far, cleaning up some print blemishes ready for a bit of filler on the front end and top of r/h windscreen. General clean up of print "pips" on the bottom edge of the underframe and using a blade to clean out some print artifacts in the lower cab door area on both doors. Opened out the printed pilot holes in the buffer beams ready to fit the buffers.

IMG_20231104_162943_0022.jpg.309d5f80bd032a5f25b02d9d804c4f53.jpg

And drilling holes for the longitudinal handrails near the bonnet top. Also a bit of cleaning up of a prominent print ridge on the roof. But overall, a lovely body.

Then all the 3d printed stuff has had a good wash with hot water and non lanolin washing up liquid to de-grease. 

So, off the starting blocks, just !

Hope this is of interest.

Hi dave. What number combo you going with to suit external strapped doors! Plenty in your time line...but thin on ground in mid 80s to mid 90s for me so I might have to squint and bend time line!

G

Ian, will do, I need to get my proper camera out to do macro shots, this tablet cam is poor for close up. Please bear with me.

Bradfordbuffer, it will probably be an Etched Park 08, in my world HPJ stabling point and fuelling shed became a sub of DY once the route beyond Matlock and Rowsley shed closed. My time line is 75 to 80 so lots to choose from.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A thread hijacked!

Sorry just keeping with the 08!

Re post of my oaktree/lincon loco 08 it's the 14.2mm gauge version on british finescale points and society flexi track

Loco running without any additional weight or magnets for the test track fitted with dcc concepts power base.

It's a shame a 2nd run of locos not commissioned but who wants to make 08s all day.... as basically hand-built underframe and 3d printed body,

I was lucky to grab 2 so think might have to have swap bodywork for era!

G

https://youtu.be/ShvVDtHl_g4?si=JeWMi8YXCzlY_wqd

• Like 1

Two ! Greedy....... 😁

Well, that is the first 14.2 08 I have seen running, very nice indeed. But, seeing as I have now started the completion tasks on my 12mm 08, I look forward to seeing your progress..... gauntlet down etc.....

Interesting you are doing later eras, hey, I don't get these era things, its all made up, I much prefer, I model BR late sectorisation, or I model, mid 50's ER steam. Its much simpler to my fuddled brain cells.....

But anyway, I really do look forward to seeing any completion work updates on either of them.

Oh, and please be careful with your test track, it was an awfully long drop and not even a buffer stop in sight... Even if a Bradford Buffer was driving it 😆

26 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Two ! Greedy....... 😁

Well, that is the first 14.2 08 I have seen running, very nice indeed. But, seeing as I have now started the completion tasks on my 12mm 08, I look forward to seeing your progress..... gauntlet down etc.....

Interesting you are doing later eras, hey, I don't get these era things, its all made up, I much prefer, I model BR late sectorisation, or I model, mid 50's ER steam. Its much simpler to my fuddled brain cells.....

But anyway, I really do look forward to seeing any completion work updates on either of them.

Oh, and please be careful with your test track, it was an awfully long drop and not even a buffer stop in sight... Even if a Bradford Buffer was driving it 😆

I'll give you 3 quess to how user name came about!?....clue.... town in Yorkshire and the end of the line!

• Funny 1

Oh, ok then, how about, hmm pottling into Bradford Forster Square driving a Class 306 EMU and a brake chest failed, thus reducing the overall unit brake force and how shall we say, the buffers were kissed. Just a wild guess.......😁😉

Meanwhile, dragging back on topic, been doing a bit more on the 08, see below.

IMG_20231105_212520_9122.jpg.3402bc36946007fed5801bad46cb8489.jpg

Filler applied and sanded on front end blemishes plus window top edge repair. Can doors handrails fitted plus bonnet longitudinal handrails fitted. 

Buffers placed, there loose and wont be properly fitted till buffer beam detail sorted.

Etched balance weights fitted to wheels

IMG_20231105_212355_8422.jpg.28adc80edadaef632c2b0997a1921e8e.jpg

Probably hard to see but 0.35mm dia holes drilled ready for rad filler pipes on front end. But wont make and fit till after painting and wasp decals fitted.

Front buffers placed and rad placed, rad will be painted as a separate item to aid the wasp stripe decal job. 

This sides handrails can also be seen, all of these are 0.3mm n/s rod.

Anti climb patches (plastikard) added to bottoms of radiator side vents.

So there we are, properly away from the starting blocks now.

Edited by TT100 Diesels
Replaced photos with better versions with more work done and text amended accordingly
  • Like 1

need to update railway storytelling!..mmmmm!....Dock Road...class 60 on empty coal trains...dock police...lady's of the night wanting to visit captains on foreign ships...that's all what I'll say on this family friendly Web sight!

(I forgot I shared on 3mm e group.)

You are defo going to get decorated 08 before me are you using railtec wasps and numbers?

G

• Funny 1

Got Fox 3mm scale wasp stripes, numbers and OLE flashes in stock, from the 3mm society shop. Wasps are good, see my Class 14, they are the Fox 3mm ones and well pleased with that one.

Re origin of your username, yes you guessed correctly, I remember the story in the 3mm e group.

Also, just edited the progress post with newer pics and more details in the description.

• Like 1

I was at the "Pentonville" meet yesterday (I still refer to it as that even though it has to be at least 20 years since it was last held at the Prison Officer's club) where I bought what can only be described as a "I didn't know I wanted one until I saw it" :^)

07lincloc.JPG.69ae59084e9394310c558a61d917a572.JPG

It just goes to show how far things have come, I still remember collecting my pre-ordered 03 kit from Bruce Smetham at a Pentonville meet many years ago (it is still unfinished and unlikely to ever be), "Nearly RTR" eh?

But thinking of Bruce and looking around at the assembled members I couldn't help but think of all those I used to meet at Pentonville and who are now sadly missing, does anyone else remember the time that John Fisher and a gaggle of fellow greybeards all toddled off for liquid refreshments at lunchtime and ended up in the company of painted ladies of negotiable affection in a den of iniquity across the road? (Good old Kings X, you don't get that in West Byfleet). 

Edited by TT-Pete
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ahh, one of the last few Lincoln Oaks clas 07's, very nice. I will look forward to seeing this progress to completion on here....... (No pressure !).

I remember going to Pentonville meet,I was in the society for a year or two circa 1980. But Was strictly Triang TT then, well still am now second time round, well some if my stuff is. But don't really remember the names from the time apart from the East Mids folk.

Hope West Byfleet went well yesterday, 

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Like 1