Class 37, by Accurascale

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think the thing is that so much stuff has been done before. Most people won't be replacing what they have but adding to it.

Every loco AS has done or announced has been done in the past (quite prolifically in the case of the 37) and so I think a lot of us have certain wants rather than a willingness to buy whatever number comes out of the tombola machine.

If somebody did an 88, I don't think a monkeys will be given about the numbers chosen to be done because there aren't any at the moment (other than 10 with its unique livery).

I have been waiting years for the 37/6,s to be done, so I'm delighted that Accurascale have done them. It would seem they have that variant to themselves. I have numerous Bachmann 37/4's which i shall not be replacing.

Edited by dave56
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dave56 said:

I have been waiting years for the 37/6,s to be done, so I'm delighted that Accurascale have done them. It would seem they have that variant to themselves. I have numerous Bachmann 37/4's which i shall not be replacing.

Yes, the /6s are unique that's for sure. Although I think they are also like my example of the 88 where they could have done almost any locos in a range of liveries and everyone would have been happy.

It's the beaten track 37s I am getting at more than anything.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, MidlandRed said:

Or a TMD where they might test the lighting? 

Judging by occasional instances of northbound trains  (wholly I think DMUs) which were found long after coming off shed/stabling point to not have a working fixed beam headlight I suspect that any testing of such lights on depot was a very rare event.  I can recall - fortunately from a distance - one occasion where a unit had to have a EE Type3 (Class37) attached front because its headlight was found to have either failed or be otherwise inoperative so the loco was attached in order to provide the headlight.

Failures were however pretty rare (I think the headlights were renewed at least once on the DMUs and probably the locos as well.  If anything I would have thought the headlights might have been tested when the loco/unit was being prepped but that would have been about it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great info, @The Stationmaster - I guess all if this stock was officially Landore’s but suspect it got around at both ends of the line (the DMUs ran to Shrewsbury I think) - there’s always rule 1, and like the Scottish class 24s which had pairs of car headlights fitted, make for an interesting variation - and there is always Rule 1 😀

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BVMR21 said:

Might be a stupid question but, what sort of

mineral train lengths would the 37s be hauling in South Wales? 

30, 40, 50-odd coal wagons. 

Search for some  'Radyr yard' images on your internet computer. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

30, 40, 50-odd coal wagons. 

Search for some  'Radyr yard' images on your internet computer. 

Or join the Railways in South Wales Facebook group. Worth it for Bob Mastermans photos alone…. Some wonderful shots from 60s and 70s

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

What about 37 218 in its current condition for a nice retro release?

E5596DC4-3EA7-4670-ADBD-20EFDC8D01BB.jpeg

I am guessing there are several versions of the "Brush nose" with wipacs. 37218 seems similar to 37610 with a completely smooth front apart from the DRS MU socket. Others had the plated over headcode box IIRC.  Are the noses detachable from the nose body ?  As 37218 has the original traction motor blower and compressor side grilles rather than the refurb grilles, it would need to be a "classic" body with new ends to do the DRS "Brush" modeed /os.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I am guessing there are several versions of the "Brush nose" with wipacs. 37218 seems similar to 37610 with a completely smooth front apart from the DRS MU socket. Others had the plated over headcode box IIRC.  Are the noses detachable from the nose body ?  As 37218 has the original traction motor blower and compressor side grilles rather than the refurb grilles, it would need to be a "classic" body with new ends to do the DRS "Brush" modeed /os.

No our noses are seamlessly tooling with the body shell but we’ve an extensive tooling suite and tooling slides that can accommodate a massive range of variations . 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, McC said:

No our noses are seamlessly tooling with the body shell but we’ve an extensive tooling suite and tooling slides that can accommodate a massive range of variations . 

So is that a yes to 37 218?😂

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, McC said:

Thanks for clarifying that "McC".  I guessed you would have all the variations covered

In the case of 37610 it spent roughly 24 years (1963-1987) as a fairly bog standard 37/0 in unrefurbished condition before being "bent" at Crewe works. The loco then spent the next eight years as a class 37/5 refurb numbered as 37687, before the next phase of it's career modified to EPS standard with additional cabling, jumper cables and the "polo mints". The EPS project was pretty much stillborn and this loco moved onto the next stage as a DRS loco in around 1997. It seems to be from 1997 to 2017 that the loco worked for DRS mostly in the DRS pools, Bringing it's career up to date the loco is believed to be in the COTS pool for Colas, but I believe it is an HNRC owned loco leased to Colas. 

So with a working life of 59 years so far it has lived the greater part of it's life in it's refurbished bodywork style. 

Amazing

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Pedro32 said:

Thanks Pedro! Full details and more are in the post and here is the current schedule.  As always it has to be right, not rushed. 

The delivery schedule is as follows:

Batch 1 is the Scottish Headlamp 37/0s and modern 37/4s. These are now in production and scheduled to ship at the end of August from China, arriving in stock in mid-October.

Batch 2 is the 37/6s and the Yellow 97/3. Planned shipment end of October, arriving in stock in mid December.

Batch 3 is the Blue/Green 37/0s. Planned shipment end of December, arriving in stock in February 2023

Batch 4…. 😄

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, CazRail said:

Ooh, you teaser...

I'm so intrigued as to which direction you go with it! Would love you to announcement something start of September to start the froth as there's rarely much there with most manufactures waiting for the Autumn shows.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, McC said:

Thanks Pedro! Full details and more are in the post and here is the current schedule.  As always it has to be right, not rushed. 

Batch 1 is the Scottish Headlamp 37/0s and modern 37/4s. These are now in production and scheduled to ship at the end of August from China, arriving in stock in mid-October.

Batch 2 is the 37/6s and the Yellow 97/3. Planned shipment end of October, arriving in stock in mid December.

Batch 3 is the Blue/Green 37/0s. Planned shipment end of December, arriving in stock in February 2023

Batch 4…. 😄

does that mean we will have an announcement soon ? 😃

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, WCML100 said:

europhenix variations

The thing about those is that originally they said "EUROPHOENIX" on them in big letters, nowadays they say "Rail Operations Group" so there is two versions of that livery anyway. In the case of 608 I think it was end of 2017/very early 2018 the branding changed so that is when the AS model is relevant from.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

The thing about those is that originally they said "EUROPHOENIX" on them in big letters, nowadays they say "Rail Operations Group" so there is two versions of that livery anyway. In the case of 608 I think it was end of 2017/very early 2018 the branding changed so that is when the AS model is relevant from.

Yes I was aware of this but didn't mention ROG as I assume the livery is still known as europhenix, hence why I said variations. Im after one with the previous Europhenix branding to fit my era :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, McC said:

Batch 4…. 😄

Thanks for the update, one of the traders at the recent Leyland show said they were not due till Spring next year at the earliest, I didn't think that was correct but he felt his source was correct.