Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Magna Junction said:

I've had my non sound 37051 a few weeks now and have been very impressed with it seems an upward step from the deltic and feels more robust.

Just having problems regarding motor noise and lighting.

Firstly I fitted a Trainomatic Lokommander 11, loco was smooth in operation with acceptable motor noise (but louder than the deltic with the same decoder) but I did not have control of all the lighting functions, the big one being the car headlight.

I then decided to purchase an ESU Class 37 decoder from Accurascale.

I now have control of all the lighting functions but the motor sounds like a buzzing wasp at low speeds much louder than with the trainomatic decoder fitted.

As anyone got any advice to a DCC novice on any CV's I could change to reduce the motor noise?

Just wondering if I have a faulty loco as the motor noise is noticeably louder than my Accurascale deltic.

There really shouldn’t be any noticeable motor noise in normal running. Perhaps drop our support team a note ideally with a video recording?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

I was trying to fit the buffer beam mounted ploughs to one of mine the other day. Do the plugs go straight into the holes or do they need drilling out slightly? I was blaming poor eyesight. I opted to fit the one piece one to that particular loco as it was much easier. I do want to fit the body mounted ones to the other though to represent the fact that many of Eastfield’s 37s ran without the centre piece in the warmer months. I don’t know why this was the case though.

The weathering on the track looks wonderful. Do you have a layout build thread on here?

Hi,

Yes, you do have to drill the holes out a little with a micro drill as it does help. And yes I do have a thread on here which started out as Helmsdale, and then was changed to Laggan Bridge. Unfortunately I suffered from a rather severe case of sciatica which prevented me from getting into the loft for about 5 months, only now getting back up there.

Bill.

• Friendly/supportive 4

11 hours ago, SRman said:

I have noted a few posts regarding those who have fitted sound as an "aftermarket" item 9even with the Accurascale programmed decoder) where F11 is not producing the required flange squeal. My 37 423 has proved to be the same: no squeal.

I read the decoder details into my LokProgrammer software and looked at the function mapping for F11, and it showed that it was "On" and using input from "Sensor 2". I took out the Sensor 2 bit as a temporary solution, and the flange squeal does now work, although I haven't ascertained whether it goes all the time or only on the bends (which would be an unexpected result if that is the case). The other slight anomaly is that it squeals when F11 is off, but not when it is on, which is totally unexpected! I need to experiment more before I can give any definitive results that may assist others more reliably, but I can say I am on the right track to sorting it out.

Incidentally, I used an Accurathrash speaker in this one, but used a couple of blobs of black-tack to secure it. I have fixed many other speakers in my other sound conversions like this (or with Blu-tack) with no problems at all. This one is no exception. they are also very good at sealing the sound chambers in older style speaker setups where the speaker and its chamber are separate items.

Gratuitous photo of 37 423 here. I will eventually do a video of her at work as well.

20230703_215919.jpg.fe50e3de3fcaa7aa3f071d40b20d4863.jpg

Hi,

I have just returned from my local club meeting and after testing my second Accurascale 37 sound decoder which was delivered today. After testing on the club layout curves, no flange squeal was heard. This is now the second one to do so, or not.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dunmar said:

Hi,

I have just returned from my local club meeting and after testing my second Accurascale 37 sound decoder which was delivered today. After testing on the club layout curves, no flange squeal was heard. This is now the second one to do so, or not.

Min the first place definitely drop the team a line with details. I assume the dip switches are all correctly in the ‘ESU’ sound chip position to enable the sensors and six functions?

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dunmar said:

Hi,

Just checking that you have F11 on when you are expecting the noise. On the previous page someone was suggesting they expected the noise on as default and off when F11 selected. I think the logical way is how accurascale have done it, select F11 and the noise is on (like all the other noises).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, McC said:

Min the first place definitely drop the team a line with details. I assume the dip switches are all correctly in the ‘ESU’ sound chip position to enable the sensors and six functions?

Hi,

Dip switches were set on receipt, but will check again. Won't do anything else meantime as already have a Sound decoder on its way to you as I speak so will wait to hear the outcome of your findings.

Bill.

Good evening all. Can anyone tell me if 37409ncould be a suitable candidate for a simple re number to 37418? I don't really fancy the Bachmann 37418 from kernow models. And with caroline on the way I'd like to get an accurascale 37 renumbered etc to 37418 if I can get hold of 37409 that is.  37418 isn't on the cards atm from accurascale is it?

Also trying to resist those fears wagons

Regards Gary 

9 hours ago, Chris Rowe 37419 said:

There is no wheelslip on the 37/0 soundfile, probably because none was recorded. The characteristics of a 37/0 do differ from a refurbished 37, hence the different sound files.

If a 37/0 did slip, it would not load up to full thrash straight off the slip like a refurbished example would. 

If you put the two side by side, you can hear the difference in the way both load up to get to full power. A refurb can do so much quicker than an 0. 

Reblowing the refurb wheelslip into a 37/0 soundfile will not sound right.

The ideal would be if Jamie Goodman could make the sound file recorded from 37227 available remapped for accurascale and with the addition of the field divert.

Seem to think 37/0's could have similar fun and frolics...... 

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dm8HGtibUMCc&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjHqdiajfb_AhWCSMAKHZnVBzcQtwJ6BAgJEAE&usg=AOvVaw25gzDytmsbytv17VryTF-U

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, McC said:

in my case, I have made sure the dip switches match the instructions for the ESU decoder, but it seems fairly obvious that the sensor input is not being detected. At present I have fiddled some more with the settings, turning all of the possible sensor inputs on in the decoder settings, but the flange squeal is only present if I turn all of them off on F11 (using the LokProgrammer, that was Sensors 1 to 4 and the Wheel sensor, all from the drop down list). So, at present, the flange squeal is set to on when F11 is on, regardless of whether the loco is going around a bend or not.

It's not a big deal for me, but I would like to suss it out (I like a challenge!). I suspect that flipping one of the "off" dip switches might enable the sensor again. I will give it a try later.

• Like 1

My flange squeal definitely doesn't work either. This is a DCC ready 37423 where I have fitted the AS sound decoder and accurathrash speaker myself.

Checked the switches. Presssed F11, run through some medium points and double slip, and nothing.

• Agree 2

I received my 37 yesterday and it’s amazing. Great weight, fantastic sound and looks the part. Has a real presence on the layout. Wipes the floor with the competition 

Just need a Large Logo one now to go with it 

IMG_2044.jpeg.76d5dec18f56740b2fcadf56278b8f7e.jpeg

Edited by Iskra
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, SRman said:

in my case, I have made sure the dip switches match the instructions for the ESU decoder, but it seems fairly obvious that the sensor input is not being detected. At present I have fiddled some more with the settings, turning all of the possible sensor inputs on in the decoder settings, but the flange squeal is only present if I turn all of them off on F11 (using the LokProgrammer, that was Sensors 1 to 4 and the Wheel sensor, all from the drop down list). So, at present, the flange squeal is set to on when F11 is on, regardless of whether the loco is going around a bend or not.

It's not a big deal for me, but I would like to suss it out (I like a challenge!). I suspect that flipping one of the "off" dip switches might enable the sensor again. I will give it a try later.

Watching your progress with interest. As my layout has a fair amount of pointwork , flange squeal is more than likely to be happening more frequently. Why couldn't the sensors been set to detect this??? Over to the team at Accurascale!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gary_lner said:

Good evening all. Can anyone tell me if 37409ncould be a suitable candidate for a simple re number to 37418? I don't really fancy the Bachmann 37418 from kernow models. And with caroline on the way I'd like to get an accurascale 37 renumbered etc to 37418 if I can get hold of 37409 that is.  37418 isn't on the cards atm from accurascale is it?

Also trying to resist those fears wagons

Regards Gary 

In a nutshell, no. As per comment on 403 earlier.

409 has LED tail lights, 418 has originals

409 has plated body side windows, 418 has windows

409 has extra nose jumper, 418 does not

409 has no upper lamp bracket, 418 does

Sorry this doesn't help.

11 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

In a nutshell, no. As per comment on 403 earlier.

409 has LED tail lights, 418 has originals

409 has plated body side windows, 418 has windows

409 has extra nose jumper, 418 does not

409 has no upper lamp bracket, 418 does

Sorry this doesn't help.

No no it does help saves me from doing something that won't work.

So thanks for that 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunmar said:

Watching your progress with interest. As my layout has a fair amount of pointwork , flange squeal is more than likely to be happening more frequently. Why couldn't the sensors been set to detect this??? Over to the team at Accurascale!

Not much to report. It is a bit time-consuming trying different combinations because those dip switches are under the decoder. At one stage I lost it all because the write didn't work properly - fortunately I had saved the project in modified form so was able to reload it and resume tests. Still nothing conclusive to report, though.

I changed the setting on F11 to use 'Wheel sensor' and also changed the input to use the wheel sensor rather than Aux10. What that did was restore F11 to working the flange squeal all the time when on. Not quite the aim. I was also switching different dip switches in turn, but haven't tried 4, 5, or 6, yet - I was reversing 1 and 3 to off though at different times.

On a different note, I also played with the brake settings, adding 'Brake 1' to F2, and tweaking the Brake 1 setting to 200%, then changing CV4 momentum to 105. That gives me a reasonable active braking effect while throttling back to zero leaves the locomotive coasting effectively. adding to the "driving" experience. Those changes may not suit everyone, but they do give me more enjoyment. Between that and using F5 (sometimes) to give the "heavy train" setting, the class 37 driving becomes quite interesting.

Tests will continue but I cannot stand for too long at present, so tweaking sessions have to be fairly short.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, gary_lner said:

No no it does help saves me from doing something that won't work.

So thanks for that 👍

Further to, I also see that 418 still has its original design windows, whereas 409 (as well as rest of DRS fleet) has toughened glass (as does 403 as per my post earlier)

18 hours ago, Dunmar said:

Pipework and coupling bar added. But boy! If those 3 part ploughs came off once!??! and that's me being careful. Before the layout goes on the show circuit I will remove the small dimple on the fixing point of the plough and drill a hole to accept a piece of brass rod which would be more permanent.

IMG_20230704_164443_939.jpg

You appear to have lost a headlight bracket there

19 hours ago, Dunmar said:

Pipework and coupling bar added. But boy! If those 3 part ploughs came off once!??! and that's me being careful. Before the layout goes on the show circuit I will remove the small dimple on the fixing point of the plough and drill a hole to accept a piece of brass rod which would be more permanent.

IMG_20230704_164443_939.jpg

Hi Dunmar,

Forgive my ignorance, but did you make your coupling bar out of brass rod & glue it into the NEM socket or buffer beam? I've seen this type of coupling on SLW 24's as well, but not seen any information on how to make or fit them! Can you enlighten me please?

Edited by mkrob
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, mkrob said:

Hi Dunmar,

Forgive my ignorance, but did you make your coupling bar out of brass rod & glue it into the NEM socket or buffer beam? I've seen this type of coupling on SLW 24's as well, but not seen any information on how to make or fit them! Can you enlighten me please?

Hi,

The coupling bar is in fact made from brass rod and a hole is drilled in the buffer beam on the left of the coupling hook as there is already a hole on the right which I didn't use. The bar is bent to a square ' U ' shape and pushed through the beam. Allow 3/4mm on the other side to allow you to bend in toward the inside of the buffer beam. It is best to super glue the bar when you first insert it into the buffer beam, let it set and then bend .

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

You appear to have lost a headlight bracket there

Tbh, I can't say for sure if it was there in the first place. Like the broken bogie chain which I didn't notice either until a few days later. But I have big broad shoulders!

On 28/06/2023 at 12:08, birdbath said:

Hi everyone.

Forgive me if this has been covered before...

I've been tinkering around setting up the DCC lighting functions on my sound-fitted 37026.  Just changing the function numbers that are assigned to various lighting features, that sort of thing.  Now I find that all the lighting has stopped working, even the bits I haven't changed.  I've been using JMRI software to do this, programming on the main.  I've also tried the same via the programming track.  Never had any issues doing this before with other Loksound V5 and V4 fitted locos.

Any suggestions what I've done to upset it?

Cheers,

Roge.

Just an update on this, for anyone interested in messing around with the DCC lighting settings.

After much exchanging of emails with Simon at Accurascale and Shane at Rails of Sheffield, I finally stumbled across the solution.  Despite what the card in the box advises, if you set the DIP switches to 1,3,5,6 ON and 2,4 OFF, you can program all lighting functions completely independently.  This also works fine for programming 'on the main'.  Whilst this is possibly all a bit too niche for most people, it might just help wierdos like myself who can't help but make changes!

Cheers,

Roge.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Well 37027 arrived this morning (after it being dispatched at 4:55pm yesterday after being on hold whilst on holiday!) Just had a chance to get it out but not run it. Wow.

Key things so far:

• Best fitted packaging yet. No tightness as per class 55, just spot on.
  • The manual is superb and full of insights. I love how they are customised into various tranches i.e. early Scottish locos.
  • Captures the 37 look perfectly without an unsightly seam line on the bonnet that I cannot stand.
  • Excellent glazing all over
  • The headlight looks great and really appreciate the extra time that went into revising this following feedback.
  • The magnetic roof is extremely well fitted, even more so than the class 55 so it is effectively seamless - though this then makes it ever so slightly hard to remove it but still a lot better than removing the body and how many times do we really need to do this after initial setup.
  • Great DCC ready dip switch design with an intelligent blanking plate.
  • The weight is brilliant. I felt the Deltic was actually slightly too heavy for it's own good but this feels perfect.
  • The details also feel solid and zero loose parts in the box.
  • Those etched steps, tiny chains, cab detail just wow wow wow.

Minor improvements / constructive criticism (and note this is already vastly exceeded my expectations):

• The finish is very good and extremely crisp however I would say I do prefer it to be a little bit more glossy on the locos / coaches - this feels like a great finish for wagons. I know I have banged this drum a lot (with the 55/92 and mk5's) but it's my opinion and recognise others may feel differently, so I won't mark it down but I feel the prototype ex-works finish is more glossy. I'm sure it will take weathering extremely well though as it feels like it has a good key.
  • There's a lot of thin wires with not a lot of slack around the decoder / speaker. Personally I would have preferred these to be built into the circuit board and broken out closer to where they are needed. The routing leaves a little to be desired when fitting the decoder and no doubt the speaker when this comes into stock.
  • Could the large speaker retaining clips be fitted as standard on DCC ready? Seems to be such a cheap part to leave off when already including power bank / small speaker etc.
  • The detail bag/etches bag isn't resealable. This would be such a simple but appreciated change to allow one to fit some detail and then come back to the bag at a future date.
  • Roof handrails are slightly too proud but otherwise look great. Just need pushing in slightly more.

Odd notes:

• My dip switches were in the ESU decoder position. I had ordered the decoder alongside this but something to be careful of unless they had gone to the trouble of redoing them specifically for me!
  • There's this odd splodge here - I'm right in saying this shouldn't actually be here?

image.png.68645e24a53091861ebc3c3db3fdbb4e.png

All in all, a really great job. I know there are some criticisms above but they are honestly so minor and you should be very proud of what you've brought to the market. Bring on 37043 and D6700!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi E100,

Many thanks for the feedback, and we will certainly take these on board in future runs.

As for the splodge, yep, it should be there as per the real thing.

Acc-37-roof-texture.jpg.042dc5618a7d13eaab3b51f527545e1d.jpg

The clips for the sound speaker will come in separate packs in the coming weeks and will be fairly inexpensive. We will look to see if we can include them in DC/DCC ready locos in future runs perhaps.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

it should be there as per the real thing.

IMG_5573.jpeg.fc8f7940b2252d12c206feb74b218225.jpeg

i

Can we ‘splodge’ these down onto the roof like your pic in the next batches too please 🤫

pretty please, I’ll do 043 when it turns up but it’s nerve wracking on such a visible panel.  😉

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2