Class 37, by Accurascale

9 hours ago, McC said:

I’d caution against that as you’ll change the resistance and may risk blowing a speaker. There are a range of CVs for volume. If you want to raise the volume on the prime mover CV just drop us a line and we can assist 

McC is correct on this.  I did remove the small sugar cube speaker on one of my 37s and I can say with certainty, the sound did not improve! I quickly re-installed it!!!

I have 7 Accurascale 37s and did notice that the sound was brilliant on the factory fitted locos but quieter on the retro fitted Accurathrash decoders and speakers.

This was soon sorted by changing CV32 =1 and CV259 = 255. They sound awesome after this.

also, if you have the ECoS controller, ensure you update the unit to the latest firmware that came out on 13th September. The unit then recognises the modified ESU V5 decoder as a V5 Loksound which it was not doing prior to new firmware.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

This has been a long standing issue for me with Accurascale’s speaker set up. The class 92 has exactly the same EM1 and sugarcube set up which reduces the resistance to below the 4 ohm minimum. So much so that when I tried to fit a sound decoder to a DCC ready class 92, the decoder would cut out the sound to go into protection mode (but only when playing intense sounds like horns etc). I couldn’t understand why DCC factory sound models worked fine even when the same decoder lifted from a DCC factory sound model was swapped into my DCC ready model and it still cut out again. This proved it was not my 3rd party decoder causing issues. Turns out that while DCC ready models have both EM1 and sugarcube speakers installed, out of both factory sound fitted class 92’s I have, both have the sugarcube cover fitted but no speaker is actually underneath it. They also show a resistance of 4 ohms where as the DCC ready model showed 2.67 ohms. Removing the sugarcube from my DCC ready model solved all my issue with sound cutting out since the model now shows 4 ohms across the speaker pins. Given that the cut out only happens when playing intense sounds that are very high volume such as horns, this would suggest that 2.67 ohms is borderline and you can get away with it a long as the volume is kept down.

Long way of saying that I would have zero problems with pulling out the sugarcube and running just the EM1.

Not trying to bash but I raised this issue to Accurascale both via their support (since they had 2 attempts to repair) and in person at shows but I see it’s not gone any further and the same sound set up is still being used in the class 37 and future models (although we can’t comment yet if they have tweaked the speaker resistances for the future). Either Accurascale/ESU have doubled down and found a way to make this work safely or they are willing to take the risk of running the decoder under spec.

My other concern with this is that if you buy a DCC sound fitted class 92, you are not getting twin speakers as advertised. I don’t have a factory sound class 37 to test. Both of mine are DCC ready so it may be worth checking your sound fitted models to see if they have a sugar cube. May explain why they sound better. This can easily be checked by checking the resistance between the speaker pins with the decoder removed. 2.67 ohms indicates 2 speakers. 4 ohms indicates just the EM1.

Edited by Br60066
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, WCML100 said:

they said they followed up with you guys a week or so ago when they received their non sound ones but haven't had a response

Perhaps ask them to reach out again, or use an alternative method, as we've zero open trade tickets or orders.

• Thanks 1

On 26/09/2023 at 11:49, Chris Rowe 37419 said:

When it comes to consisting them as pairs, most work fine together but I have had to lower cv3 a bit on a couple to speed match.

The only problem with double heading Class 37's is not being able to get the sound to errupt on the 'slave' a few seconds after the one being driven.  But that's never been done and expect it would require DCC controllers to offer such a function. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

The only problem with double heading Class 37's is not being able to get the sound to errupt on the 'slave' a few seconds after the one being driven.  But that's never been done and expect it would require DCC controllers to offer such a function. 

Should be doable - Legoman does it for paired Class 20's and HST's 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

McC is correct on this.  I did remove the small sugar cube speaker on one of my 37s and I can say with certainty, the sound did not improve! I quickly re-installed it!!!

I have 7 Accurascale 37s and did notice that the sound was brilliant on the factory fitted locos but quieter on the retro fitted Accurathrash decoders and speakers.

This was soon sorted by changing CV32 =1 and CV259 = 255. They sound awesome after this.

also, if you have the ECoS controller, ensure you update the unit to the latest firmware that came out on 13th September. The unit then recognises the modified ESU V5 decoder as a V5 Loksound which it was not doing prior to new firmware.

John

like i said on last post saw the video (just saying what saw in video) but i dont mess with the insides,  I rather leave that to the people at accurascale, they know more then me  

• Like 1

On 21/09/2023 at 23:57, LMSfan72 said:

It’s a case of remapping the functions. I’ve posted the logic I used in earlier posts on here. It’s easiest to do with JMRI or a Lokprogrammer 

Ah. I don't have either of those things.

For the moment, I'll just pull the test train, with the DBSO at the back, but it would be nice to be able to turn the headlights off and push it.

1 minute ago, Pikey said:

Ah. I don't have either of those things.

For the moment, I'll just pull the test train, with the DBSO at the back, but it would be nice to be able to turn the headlights off and push it.

that's what i am running my ROG with at the moment,  the rog is lovely 

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, XChris said:

It will be interesting to see what further versions of the class 37 Accurascale plan on doing next. Seen as the /6’s have now arrived and the other batch not far away!

At the moment 37714 seems to be a lonely one in its refurb removed split headcode condition.

I can certainly suggest several candidates to join it, but i’m sure they already know what we’d call out, not that it would stop another wishlist sprouting up.

🙃

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

John

Thanks John, 609 now sounds as great as the others!

Cheers

Chris

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Chris Rowe 37419 said:

Thanks John, 609 now sounds as great as the others!

Cheers

Chris

Anyone who knows me would know how I have strived over the years to get my 37's sounding how they should. And yes, each  and everyone to their own, as we all have our personal preferences. Mine is the full blown West Highland/ Far North Line versions. I have removed the Accurathrash speaker from 37 027 and the sugar cube and replaced it with two 25x25x7 wired in parallel and it sounds just like a 'bag o' 

nails '. The way it should sound. Using the CV changes mentioned, also increased the volume, as if I needed to!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

After Googling the relevant prototypes, I decided that neither 37 026 nor 37 602 should have their snow ploughs fitted. I need them both to have their couplings fitted at both ends (whereas I left one end off on 37 423) but the buffer beams looked too bare without anything added, so I fitted all of the pipes then snipped off only the red air hose and the lower part of the vacuum pipe on 026 to clear the couplings. I also put a small spot of glue on the coupling hook to secure the screw link out of the way.

The results are only partly visible in these photos. I have also added drivers in both, plus a secondman in 026.

20230929_234635.jpg.6badd69992b4fd057dddc4406ff6d21c.jpg

20230929_234648.jpg.8e0eb15f098f33c13dfedb27082ba46c.jpg

• Like 4

So 609 arrived yesterday and i must say amazing i fitted a driver and pipework so easy to do then after about 20 minutes running on Dc  it started to slow down to a crawl when i turned up the power it set off again has anyone else had this problem

1 hour ago, marshy said:

So 609 arrived yesterday and i must say amazing i fitted a driver and pipework so easy to do then after about 20 minutes running on Dc  it started to slow down to a crawl when i turned up the power it set off again has anyone else had this problem

have a browse of the now closed “Accurascale class 92 and 37 slowing down then speeding up”…

gives various reasons… sadly it looks like it’s actually the motors themselves causing issues…  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

At the moment 37714 seems to be a lonely one in its refurb removed split headcode condition.

I can certainly suggest several candidates to join it, but i’m sure they already know what we’d call out, not that it would stop another wishlist sprouting up.

🙃

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

refurb removed split headcode condition.

Which is one of the best types IMO. For some reason I like the nose horn ones more.

11 minutes ago, Melton Works said:

Which is looking like it's maybe going to be doing the Yorkshire RHTT rounds this year.

Would be a good candidate IMO, although TBH I don't think I need any more DRS 37s. I could say I don't really need any more 37s full stop but I don't think I could resist a current condition 901 or a West Coast one, especially if said WC one was 706.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, derekdoestrains said:

have a browse of the now closed “Accurascale class 92 and 37 slowing down then speeding up”…

gives various reasons… sadly it looks like it’s actually the motors themselves causing issues…  

If you read the thread you’ll see it’s primarily Voltage or controller issues with a small subset again being a genuine motor issue. As per that thread, any issues post run in and a dcc reset if on digital drop our super team a line or a sms or a dm or live chat. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1