Class 37, by Accurascale

A question as I am curious. D6702 starts very slowly on speed button 1 on my NCE PowerCab with the sound turned off, but it waits to speed button 8 with the sound turned on. Curious to know the possible reason and if there is any way around it. I stress this is not a problem. The loco was not delivered as a  "Sound Fitted" but "DCC Ready" and I have added the ESU Sound Decoder and Accurathrash speaker.

Edited by geoffers
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Whilst the story of the Accurascale 37 is well written now, I do want to call out probably a best example of weathering I’ve seen today, from @James Makin at Warley..

IMG_1580.jpeg.b9c7e27850b671ed47b94a7e076505d7.jpeg

zoom in on those wagons too…

Thanks ever so much and great to catch up! More will follow on weathering that particular ‘37’ on the Accurascale website in due course! 

Cheers,

James

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, geoffers said:

A question as I am curious. D6702 starts very slowly on speed button 1 on my NCE PowerCab with the sound turned off, but it waits to speed button 8 with the sound turned on. Curious to know the possible reason and if there is any way around it. I stress this is not a problem. The loco was not delivered as a  "Sound Fitted" but "DCC Ready" and I have added the ESU Sound Decoder and Accurathrash speaker.

It's been well covered in this thread.  There's not an ideal solution that I know of, as it is the actual sound project that's been programmed to react like this.

I do explain two possible solutions in the first post of the thread below.

Steve

Edited by 55020
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

IMG_0961.jpeg.6cd7b9e2031d99019df4a26e87203d49.jpeg

Mine running on Shelfie2, all it does is bring short rakes of wagons into or out of the layout, so far with total reliability and controllability using plain vanilla DC and a Gaugemaster W controller.  

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I’ve tried finding it on these 303 pages but..

Has anybody managed to fit the guard irons onto the loco and the part that’s supposed to go across the front of the bogie?

Also do you find the pipes from the detailing pack are basically on top of the rails .

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, D.Platt said:

I’ve tried finding it on these 303 pages but..

Has anybody managed to fit the guard irons onto the loco and the part that’s supposed to go across the front of the bogie?

Also do you find the pipes from the detailing pack are basically on top of the rails .

I’ve got a pic of mine with the guard irons fitted, hopefully this illustrates easier than words, but they plug into recesses in the bogie fronts, and a little dollop of Bostik contact adhesive was just the job to keep them in place! 

IMG_8906.jpeg.0d400772a758efdbdf9497e1ff5c4f62.jpeg

Cheers,

James

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks James

I was looking for a round hole for it to fit into !

So they just glue into a slot , I presume the crossbeam then is glued into the recess next to where you have glued the guard irons  ? But you didn’t bother with it as it’s hard to see with the model on the track ?

Dennis 

Missed out on the DCC Sound 6704 so decided to retrofit the DCC Ready version. Unfortunately AS are currently out of stock of the Accurathrash speaker, so I decided to try ESU's current 4 ohm Passive Radiator speaker, which is exactly the same size including in respect of the lugs and slots at the end, which means it can make use of the AS speaker clips to secure it. The only problem I had was that the circuit board in the loco had a slight convex shape, and is consequently higher in the centre which shows up reasonably well in the first image. This meant that when the decoder and speaker were fitted, the removable roof section would not sit properly. However, this proved to be a simple fix with two small plastic shims slotted beneath the cantrail lip on both sides just to the right of the centre roof magnet in the first image, and which depressed the circuit board just enough to make it level. The second image shows the installation before final tidying of the wiring out of the way. The speaker comes with an attached lead with the correct size JST plug. The leads are a little long but neatly curl flat. The sound reproduction is very similar to the Accurathrash speaker with perhaps a little more top end; just enough to sound slightly different when run running two together. 

01.jpg

02.jpg

After a thoroughly enjoyable day at Warley last Saturday, I managed to get extremely lucky & bag myself 37026 with sound from one of the traders on site. It is pure testament to how good Accurascales range is & how popular it's become that I managed to find very few locos for sale anywhere in the hall! 

Anyway, because I can't leave a review of 026 on the Accurascale site I thought I'd leave it here for people to read (sorry I'm a little late to the party on this one). 

First of all, like the other 3 37's I own, on opening the box the first impressions are just stunning! The Railfreight Distribution livery is crispy applied & I do love the look of the front end with the Car Headlight (although I'm holding out hope a later split Box variant with high intensity headlight will eventually be released). The functionality on DCC is next level! & this comes from someone using a Dynamis where I can't access any function above 20. The available functions are more than enough to satisfy the needs. 

The sound: with all my previous 37s being refurbished examples I hadn't had chance to hear the original sounds up close. From the moment you fire up the engine the differences are immediately obvious. I had such fun putting drive lock on & throwing the handle all the way open. The running was like a charm in both directions & I couldn't find any faults of any kind. 

A quick question which may well have been covered here before so my apologies in advance, there are 3 detailing packs in the box as standard, one which contained all the etched plates & plaques, another which contained all the bufferbeam detailing & a third with some small black plastic bits in. Can anyone point out what these bits are please or where they go on the loco? 

In conclusion, another absolutely stunning model has been born here, I knew quite some time ago that other manufacturers can't come close to this & now I'm absolutely convinced! I can't wait to see more 37s in the future & of course the next headline diesel or electric release. Well done once again Accurascale. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, tlm said:

Unfortunately AS are currently out of stock of the Accurathrash speaker

Fresh stock due in this afternoon - should be on the website by tomorrow!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, tlm said:

Missed out on the DCC Sound 6704 so decided to retrofit the DCC Ready version. Unfortunately AS are currently out of stock of the Accurathrash speaker, so I decided to try ESU's current 4 ohm Passive Radiator speaker, which is exactly the same size including in respect of the lugs and slots at the end, which means it can make use of the AS speaker clips to secure it. The only problem I had was that the circuit board in the loco had a slight convex shape, and is consequently higher in the centre which shows up reasonably well in the first image. This meant that when the decoder and speaker were fitted, the removable roof section would not sit properly. However, this proved to be a simple fix with two small plastic shims slotted beneath the cantrail lip on both sides just to the right of the centre roof magnet in the first image, and which depressed the circuit board just enough to make it level. The second image shows the installation before final tidying of the wiring out of the way. The speaker comes with an attached lead with the correct size JST plug. The leads are a little long but neatly curl flat. The sound reproduction is very similar to the Accurathrash speaker with perhaps a little more top end; just enough to sound slightly different when run running two together. 

01.jpg

02.jpg

Thanks for showing this, and the cure for the bowed circuit board. Did you remove, or disconnect the cube speaker?

I was also wondering, as these have ESU decoders, could the firmware be updated so that treble and bass can be adjusted. This is a new feature with V5 Loksound decoders that can be easily adjusted with a Lokprogrammer.

• Agree 1

hi all,  just little advice,   i had an issue with sound cutting out on my rog 37,  i got told to change from i think the cv is cv63 = 150 from 192,  i put it down to 162 and works fine,  now i cant really hear it over other dcc locos and units as much,   what is the best settings to keep it i guest loud enough to hear it but not cut out,  as i said current at 162,  or is it a case of try it and see,  tbh i don't like messing with cv settings, 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Meerkat said:

hi all,  just little advice,   i had an issue with sound cutting out on my rog 37,  i got told to change from i think the cv is cv63 = 150 from 192,  i put it down to 162 and works fine,  now i cant really hear it over other dcc locos and units as much,   what is the best settings to keep it i guest loud enough to hear it but not cut out,  as i said current at 162,  or is it a case of try it and see,  tbh i don't like messing with cv settings, 

You could always reduce the volume of all of the other locos! 😀

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, geoffers said:

"....I had such fun putting drive lock on & throwing the handle all the way open...."

What is a "drive-lock? And is it available on D6702?

Drive lock is on F7 I think on 37026 & when it's activated you can apply as much power as you like, the loco won't move but the engine sounds will go up with the throttle. I can't say whether D6702 has this function but I would have thought it would have. 

Edited by vanbasher
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, vanbasher said:

Drive lock is on F7 I think on 37026 & when it's activated you can apply as much power as you like, the loco won't move but the engine sounds will go up with the throttle. I can't say whether D6702 has this function but I would have thought it would have. 

Whilst you are correct in that if you haven’t got the loco on the move before you engage drivelock it won’t move as you increase the throttle the same applies to a moving loco . 

This means you can use it for mega thrash when starting a heavy train …. Like a pair restarting a 1000 ton oil train from Abbotswood up to Norton Junction at little more than a crawl…. Speed stays constant but thrash through the roof! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, geoffers said:

I will try this. Thanks. Be interesting to see if you can rev the engine up then release drive-lock to see if it moves off slowly.

I just wonder what the point of it is. Is it replicating the real loco? Or just a facility foe testing the sound? 

Been a while since I've used it but I think it will move off gradually. You can use it to simulate a heavy train with the engine revving but using drive lock to build speed slowly by turning it on/off.

• Thanks 1

On 26/11/2023 at 10:54, PMP said:

IMG_0961.jpeg.6cd7b9e2031d99019df4a26e87203d49.jpeg

Mine running on Shelfie2, all it does is bring short rakes of wagons into or out of the layout, so far with total reliability and controllability using plain vanilla DC and a Gaugemaster W controller.  

I had to do a double take, I thought it was a picture of the real thing!

• Like 3

Have had a little play with "lock drive". Press F7 then speed step to 18, wait for the engine to rev and then release F7 and she moves slowly away.  Bit of fun with that. Now F2 Brake. How do we get the active braking to work. On the Manor it was CV182=0. On the Class 37 it was actually set at CV182=0. Not sure if pressing F2 has any effect apart from brake noise. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1