The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New Year Honours

EddieB

So something like a thousand “worthies” are recipients of titles in the latest New Year Honours list.  They seem to include some past beneficiaries, that might still be lacking sufficient acclamation (Sir Elton John, now a Companion of Honour, whatever that does), a lot of sports personalities, a large number of TV cooks and, in deference to Sir John Major’s schemery, a host of “ordinary” people.

What’s the point?  Perhaps nice that some who wouldn’t otherwise get recognition for good deeds are honoured, but do we really need all the others to enforce a cult of celebrity?  At the end of a year where we witnessed the final end of perhaps the most divided and ineffectual Parliament in our history, yet one riddled with titles throughout the House, would it not be time to stop dishing out cheap gongs to all and sundry?

But then, if a previous winner of “Bake-off” can be honoured, maybe there is yet scope for ennobling of winners of GMRC - “for services to model railways”, in their citations?

• Agree 5
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

It saddens me that our system continues to reward a significant number of people for simply doing what they were employed to do, in some cases not very well too. The celebrity culture is setting a very bad example to the younger generations who see it as a fast route to fame and wealth whilst the people who really do contribute to society and in their own free time are rarely recognised. I am firmly convinced that it would be better to simply close down this system that preserves the class system of centuries ago.

While I have more than a little sympathy with your sentiment, I think you will find there are more "people who really do contribute to society and in their own free time" than there are members of the glitterati or has been politicians well past their use by date.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

While I have more than a little sympathy with your sentiment, I think you will find there are more "people who really do contribute to society and in their own free time" than there are members of the glitterati or has been politicians well past their use by date.

Andy, more than 40% of the total awards go to civil servants and local government officials. Then add the amount that go to celebs and sports personalities plus the awards by political leaders to their supporters and you have less than a quarter of the orders of MBEs and above going to the groups I fear are not properly recognised.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, EddieB said:

Sir Elton John, now a Companion of Honour, whatever that does), a lot of sports personalities, a large number of TV cooks ... do we really need all the others to enforce a cult of celebrity? 

Some might say: There is something of an irony in your complaint about a cult of celebrity. Which mentions celebrities, but does not name any of the "people who really do contribute to society and in their own free time". That is, the complaint itself helps persist the very thing it is complaining about! :pleasantry:

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Andy, more than 40% of the total awards go to civil servants and local government officials. Then add the amount that go to celebs and sports personalities plus the awards by political leaders to their supporters and you have less than a quarter of the orders of MBEs and above going to the groups I fear are not properly recognised.

"But more than two-thirds of those recognised are everyday heroes, community organisers, war veterans and charity campaigners - from the 13-year-old fundraiser to the 94-year-old D-Day veteran whose humility moved a BBC interviewer to tears."

It is of course only the Mirror and therefore has to be taken with some salt (rather more than a pinch perhaps).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/new-year-honours-list-full-21171449

2 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Some might say: There is something of an irony in your complaint about a cult of celebrity. Which mentions celebrities, but does not name any of the "people who really do contribute to society and in their own free time". That is, the complaint itself helps persist the very thing it is complaining about! :pleasantry:

The trouble is that when it comes down to “ordinary people”, the honours system cannot stretch and adopts a stance of tokenism.  So we honour one school crossing patrol person, a bus conductor (before they were phased out) - even better if they are from a minority in society - but all in all a kind of pour encourager les autres.

What I would say is that the average nurse, policeman, fireman (either gender), schoolteacher, soup kitchen volunteer, model railway magazine editor (either gender), etc. are generally more deserving than named celebrities, over-promoted civil serpents and unnamed totemics.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Let's not forget the awards to very senior civil servants, who may be given

Call Me God (CMG)

Kindly Call Me God (KCMG)

God Calls Me God (GCMG)

The ultimate expression of extra rewards for doing what you are paid to do.  But possibly less scandalous than the golden goodbyes paid in the private sector to outgoing chairmen/chief execs, even when they have stuffed up big time. 

• Agree 9

17 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

The celebrity thing isn't new though is it, back in the black and white days of tv with only 2 channels we had Ted Moult and Lady Isobel Barnet for goodness sake...………………………………...

Sir William Shakespeare and all those composers....

I think one of the kings made his favourite jester a Lord and gave him loads of land.

And before all the republicans and anti monarchists criticise, Republican France, USA, China and USSR do/did exactly the same. Just under different names.

Legion D' Honneur and numerous Soviet Union awards for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders,_decorations,_and_medals_of_the_Soviet_Union

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Let's not forget the awards to very senior civil servants, who may be given

Call Me God (CMG)

Kindly Call Me God (KCMG)

God Calls Me God (GCMG)

The ultimate expression of extra rewards for doing what you are paid to do.  But possibly less scandalous than the golden goodbyes paid in the private sector to outgoing chairmen/chief execs, even when they have stuffed up big time. 

Put like that, the public sector option seems to offer extremely good value.

Best wishes

Eric 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, EddieB said:

So something like a thousand “worthies” are recipients of titles in the latest New Year Honours list.  They seem to include some past beneficiaries, that might still be lacking sufficient acclamation (Sir Elton John, now a Companion of Honour, whatever that does), a lot of sports personalities, a large number of TV cooks and, in deference to Sir John Major’s schemery, a host of “ordinary” people.

What’s the point?  Perhaps nice that some who wouldn’t otherwise get recognition for good deeds are honoured, but do we really need all the others to enforce a cult of celebrity?  At the end of a year where we witnessed the final end of perhaps the most divided and ineffectual Parliament in our history, yet one riddled with titles throughout the House, would it not be time to stop dishing out cheap gongs to all and sundry?

But then, if a previous winner of “Bake-off” can be honoured, maybe there is yet scope for ennobling of winners of GMRC - “for services to model railways”, in their citations?

One result the "delightful" ex speaker of the house got zip !!

As to the vast majority of the rest cronism at its worse.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

What I do not understand is why a current sitting MP of little popularity across the political spectrum is doing being knighted.

Why? He is an MP already.

The political appointments and lack of, show cronyism, revenge and nastiness.

To be honest pretty unbecoming of a high office of state.

And I am being apolitical here.

I can think of much worthier ex MPs deserving of one, across the major parties.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7