The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

24 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Pink cars going well in practice 

All but the truly duff cars go well in practice. And when last racing just look at how Verstappen, Albon, Perez, Norris and Sainz were able to achieve lap times in the zone the Merc demonstrated. But Verstappen, all focussed and doing the job in new improved sobermax stay on the track and avoid collisions mode, roughly quarter of a second per lap off Hammy's pace, if the late pitstop is ignored. The pinkun , McLaren, yellowun, second a lap down, despite Perez, Norris, Ricciardo and - bugger I ! - even Stroll's best efforts.

It's the sustained performance the Merc can deliver over full race distance that makes the difference. Principal reason for which -  I am convinced - is the fuel efficiency of their power unit. You can start with less fuel on board in the Merc, and still have significantly more sustained power output available than any other car on the grid.

Looking forward to reading the full reveal when all the present tech is outmoded.

• Like 2

On 17/07/2020 at 18:25, didcot said:

Two test positive for Covid 19. It's not going away!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53449283

I'm not sure who those two are - the article says they weren't present in Austria, and aren't affiliated to any of the teams (so not factory staff) so clearly they picked it up outside F1 and aren't that essential to the race.

On the subject of Covid though, I'm confused as to why (most of) the drivers are wearing face masks in the post quali/post race interviews. The interviewers appear to be standing far enough back for them not to be needed, and listening to both Lewis and one of the other drivers just now, it was hard to make out what they were saying through the masks.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

On the subject of Covid though, I'm confused as to why (most of) the drivers are wearing face masks in the post quali/post race interviews. The interviewers appear to be standing far enough back for them not to be needed, and listening to both Lewis and one of the other drivers just now, it was hard to make out what they were saying through the masks.

I wondered that last week, but perhaps it is more PR than anything else, role models promoting the use of masks rather than giving people yet another excuse to not go along with common sense.

• Agree 7

2 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I'm not sure who those two are - the article says they weren't present in Austria, and aren't affiliated to any of the teams (so not factory staff) so clearly they picked it up outside F1 and aren't that essential to the race.

Think its got to do with FIA ruling that face coverings to be worn at all times in the paddock.

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Never mind that, it's going to be deeply interesting in the first 30 seconds after the start tomorrow as Verstappen and Leclerc both attempt to make their  way around Vettel. Anyone want to propose how many cars go off roading?

A major incentive for the first four cars to make a swift getaway!

Lets hope Norris avoids the debris...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Isn't it strange that I find it difficult to rate Stoll, despite a good solid third yesterday, and some good drives last year and particularly this year. I think it has something to do with the fact that he came into F1 using his Fathers wealth as opposed to sheer talent of winning in the lower formula's. I do hope Perrez minces him in the Race later, as he still deserves the Pink seat over Vettel IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Isn't it strange that I find it difficult to rate Stoll, despite a good solid third yesterday, and some good drives last year and particularly this year.

The C4 team didn’t have any defence for him either when it was discussed and Steve Jones asked Lance direct that made him squirm!

• Funny 2

1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

The C4 team didn’t have any defence for him either when it was discussed and Steve Jones asked Lance direct that made him squirm!

Yes, Good job he was hiding behind the mask, haha

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s a funny one, Lewis got where he is in part thanks to a lot of hard work by his father in his early years (paying for karting etc)...was the stroll senior money earned or inherited???

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 57xx said:

I wondered that last week, but perhaps it is more PR than anything else, role models promoting the use of masks rather than giving people yet another excuse to not go along with common sense.

My definition of common sense is that if you are outdoors, in a Covid-secure bubble, socially distanced, and want people to be able to hear what you're saying (some of whom may be lip-reading), at best wearing a mask is unnecessary and at worst counter-productive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Isn't it strange that I find it difficult to rate Stoll, despite a good solid third yesterday, and some good drives last year and particularly this year. I think it has something to do with the fact that he came into F1 using his Fathers wealth as opposed to sheer talent of winning in the lower formula's. I do hope Perrez minces him in the Race later, as he still deserves the Pink seat over Vettel IMHO.

Interesting to see last week’s qualifying in the wet, where Perez struggled against his teammate, only to come good in a dry race (until hitting Albon).  Stroll is an enigma, usually lacklustre, but does occasionally put in unexpectedly good performances.  Seeing his qualifying lap yesterday, the car looked poorly set up, but he managed to set the fastest time apart from the works Mercedes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

My definition of common sense is that if you are outdoors, in a Covid-secure bubble, socially distanced, and want people to be able to hear what you're saying (some of whom may be lip-reading), at best wearing a mask is unnecessary and at worst counter-productive.

You need to re-read what I said. :)

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, EddieB said:

Interesting to see last week’s qualifying in the wet, where Perez struggled against his teammate, only to come good in a dry race (until hitting Albon).  Stroll is an enigma, usually lacklustre, but does occasionally put in unexpectedly good performances.  Seeing his qualifying lap yesterday, the car looked poorly set up, but he managed to set the fastest time apart from the works Mercedes.

They did say on C4 today that Stoll was superb in the lower Formula, so it just shows what I know.

Sweet Bu66er all by the looks of it, and he did well today.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

It was fun watching Sainz show Leclerc what he is up against next year. Even if they are racing to avoid being the one finishing last. New improved sobermax  was on show once more to good effect, quite why Bottas didn't get past him before race end not completely clear to me (apart from the obvious 'not going fast enough!').

As for the way Hamilton just drove away from the field at the start, blinding.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Well the tv lot created the impression many have of him and DC and Mark seem to avoid much comment on defending him when Steve Jones lays into him. They also said nothing about how well he did to get fourth today so that also suggests they share similar views. 
Mind you he always seems tense and a bit flat in interviews so he’s left a bit on the shadow of the bigger personalities around him. Perez has a similar rich backing from what they say but got less bad press when Ocon was dropped to give Lance the seat. 
If he outperforms his teammate this year maybe there will be a reassessment if him? 
The interview with George Russell was interesting, there’s hints of his frustration that his peers all seem to have better opportunities and jumped forward while he’s stuck but no doubt Toto is watching how well he deals with that too. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

As for the way Hamilton just drove away from the field at the start, blinding.

I bet Bottas is kicking himself that Lewis was able to get the gap to change tyres for the extra fastest lap point too. That takes some nuts to say yeah let’s push it to the limit at the end rather than cruising to a safe win!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2