Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

Yep.  Another boring race.

Can we have another like that again next week?

The whole first safety car and pit lane closure episode was a bit of a farce - ok, rules are rules, but it should have been Hamilton first, Sainz second.

However, the shake up from the two incidents gave us an open field and a great win for Gasly and how amazing to get a podium without a Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari.  Congratulations to all the top four.

Strange that Bottas couldn’t recover from a bad opening lap, the same for both Bulls (Verstappen losing ground long before retirement and Albon making no forward progress).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Cracking race, but qualifying at Monza needs sorting out before there's an almighty pile-up caused by multi-car slipstreaming.

As it all comes down to times, anyway, there's no need for Q1 to have everybody on at once fighting for track space. Splitting Q1, with one car per team taking part in each half, might offer a solution. The same cars would still go through to Q2, but not necessarily an equal number from each half. 

John

• Agree 2

What I thought was interesting was the C4 commentary team trying to work out why there was no pit-lane indication that it was closed when Hamilton was called in by Mercedes.  No one, including the ineffable DC could work out why there was no indication. 

It turned out that there were two boards showing the lane was closed on the outside of the curve appoaching the pits that Hamilton had passed without noticing so both the team and driver were at fault for ignoring the closure.  However, its odd that there was no indication board on the pit lane side that the pits were closed and the indicator boards passed weren't really in the line of sight of a driver making a pit approach.

Anyhow, none of Hamiltons close competitors were in a position to capitalise on the penalty, the points situation is more or less as it was before the race, but it was certainly a race full of more than the usual share of incident!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Yep.  Another boring race.

Can we have another like that again next week?

The whole first safety car and pit lane closure episode was a bit of a farce - ok, rules are rules, but it should have been Hamilton first, Sainz second.

However, the shake up from the two incidents gave us an open field and a great win for Gasly and how amazing to get a podium without a Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari.  Congratulations to all the top four.

Strange that Bottas couldn’t recover from a bad opening lap, the same for both Bulls (Verstappen losing ground long before retirement and Albon making no forward progress).

Even allowing for the disruption, the race seemed a rather closer-run thing than previously. 

The ban on changing engine modes appeared (to me) to be having a significant levelling effect, with Red Bull perhaps suffering more than others.

I got the impression that, following his early tribulations, Bottas' confidence in the "chuckability" of his car took a bit of a knock. I also wondered if both Mercs were running exactly the same engine mode. 

It did serve to demonstrate, though, that the motors Mercedes supply to others are broadly equal to those fitted in at least one of their own cars!:devil:

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

As it all comes down to times, anyway, there's no need for Q1 to have everybody on at once fighting for track space. Splitting Q1, with one car per team taking part in each half, might offer a solution. The same cars would still go through to Q2, but not necessarily an equal number from each half. 

I'm not sure that would work (at least not fairly) as the drivers in the second half would know what times they would have to beat, without the first half drivers having opportunity to improve.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, RJS1977 said:

I'm not sure that would work (at least not fairly) as the drivers in the second half would know what times they would have to beat, without the first half drivers having opportunity to improve.

If they were all trying their hardest, that shouldn't make any difference....

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Splitting any of the qualifying sessions will ultimately be unfair if the weather changes.

Look how quickly they threw out the individual quali lap based upon position from a previous race.

And as an aside.

A great race. An unpredictable result.

Pass of the day - Lando on Bottas lap1

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Personally, I don't think any rules need changing regarding Quali. They have a system that works and I don't think they should be worried about adjusting it.

What needs to happen at Monza is the teams and drivers just need to sort themselves out so that they can get a clean lap. They are only themselves to blame if they are tripping over each other. Yes, having a slipstream is an advantage but the Mercs showed that you don't have to have one to get P1 and P2 in quali.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Well another guy you feel happy for won, sorry for Carlos but still a solid bag of points. 
Will miss the Williams family but a poignant and dignified exit interview by Claire. I’m guessing from her words safeguarding the teams jobs was so important but on the plus side it must be nice to finally have more time off the crazy F1 circus for their 3yr old ;) 

I hope we see her back as a pundit occasionally as she’s got a different twist on it to the ex drivers and can now be less guarded than the interviews with other current principals. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

However, its odd that there was no indication board on the pit lane side that the pits were closed and the indicator boards passed weren't really in the line of sight of a driver making a pit approach.

It was explained on the Sky commentary, because the pit approach is round a bend a closed indication at the pit entrance is too late because by that time the driver is committed to the pit so there would be nowhere else to go.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I also wondered if both Mercs were running exactly the same engine mode. 

That thought crossed my mind too, see how the Merc that had dominated all weekend was struggling to overtake. 

Best race in a heck of a long time, really exciting last few laps. I've never been a fan of McLaren, growing up in the grey corporate dull Ron Dennis era put pay to that, but that orange has worked some magic and I was egging Carlos on in those last few laps.

As Toto said post race to channel 4 - a refreshing result!

Jo

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think this gives some insight into whose car was quick and whose wasn't.

https://www.pitpass.com/67934/Italian-GP-Fastest-Race-Laps 

I think Lewis's fastest lap - note a full second faster than anyone else - was probably when he came out on an empty track after serving his penalty. If so, he had no-one to tow him, certainly. Bottas's lack of grunt in an apparently equivalent car is indeed odd - even Stroll using a customer engine was quicker on his fastest lap, and ten laps earlier than Bottas's fastest, so heavier with fuel, too. 

I'm not sure whether C4 showed it, but Lewis went to see the stewards during the red flag. What he said to them or asked them I know not. His lady minder was carrying his scooter, which he then used to whizz back down the pitlane to his car. 

• Informative/Useful 4

17 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think this gives some insight into whose car was quick and whose wasn't.

https://www.pitpass.com/67934/Italian-GP-Fastest-Race-Laps 

I think Lewis's fastest lap - note a full second faster than anyone else - was probably when he came out on an empty track after serving his penalty. If so, he had no-one to tow him, certainly. Bottas's lack of grunt in an apparently equivalent car is indeed odd - even Stroll using a customer engine was quicker on his fastest lap, and ten laps earlier than Bottas's fastest, so heavier with fuel, too. 

I'm not sure whether C4 showed it, but Lewis went to see the stewards during the red flag. What he said to them or asked them I know not. His lady minder was carrying his scooter, which he then used to whizz back down the pitlane to his car. 

This explains it Ian.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/09/06/hamilton-visited-stewards-during-red-flag-period-to-make-his-case-against-penalty/

• Thanks 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

It is pronounced Alpeen, of course....

19 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

sounds like a

. . . . . posh

19 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

bog cleaner

;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

I just don't understand the decision to bring out that first safety car, Magnussen had parked in a safe spot and the stewards there could have pullrd his car back behind the fence in a few seconds, no need to take it to the pits till after the race. Surely clearing the track in the simplest way possible should be the priority.

• Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

I just don't understand the decision to bring out that first safety car, Magnussen had parked in a safe spot and the stewards there could have pullrd his car back behind the fence in a few seconds, no need to take it to the pits till after the race. Surely clearing the track in the simplest way possible should be the priority.

It was strange, a poor decision on the face of it, unless there was something else they knew that wasn't obvious.

The learning is on everyone - teams for comms with drivers, drivers to know where flags/markers are positioned and track marshalls to consider where flags/markers are positioned and have them signed off by drivers representatives so everyone is in agreement.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1