The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Entering the realms of railway enthusiasm if we believe the livery makes a sodding difference aren't we?

C6T. 

Also trying to debate the actual colour based on photos...

If anyone was a fan of GP500m you probably know the anwser, but what colour where the Marlboro Yamaha's?

image.png.0ed7f08cc5d44f1dde53d7fce4770c2b.png

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Szafnauer says Stroll deserved seat next to Vettel, = Well he had to say that or he would be looking for another job today as well.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/29862724/stroll-deserves-place-alongside-vettel-says-szafnauer

I'm quite sure Szafnauer had no say in which driver moved on and which stayed. And I'm sure we are all wondering if Vettel will do any better next season, away from Italian ways of doing things. It is worth remembering that the Schumacher glory years were headed up by a Frenchman and two Brits, not an Italian. Brake ducts apart, the pink car can be expected to be as quick as this year, but not pink. 

Meanwhile, in FP3, Stroll was 4th fastest behind the Big 3, Max being in the groove again this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

It'll be interesting to see if Vettel can cut the mustard against Stroll Jr. in an equal car (he clearly can't in the 2020 Ferrari) and earn No.1 driver status. I have my doubts.

Stroll is a young driver exhibiting evidence of continuing improvement, whereas SV appears to be the opposite. Next season should at last provide hard evidence as to how the reasons for SV's decline can be apportioned.

It could well be that the inferior hardware and the team politics he's currently saddled with have combined to demotivate Vettel. Once "liberated" we may see his former ability re-emerge. Or not.....

I can't see Perez being out of a job for long, though and he will be itching to stick it to his former employers.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4

An "interesting" qualifying, with the first three within a gnats whisker of each other, Vettel at least getting into Q2 (though not doing much thereafter), Leclerc getting a creditable P5, considering the form over the past few races, and Perez pipping Stroll to P6.  A bit of a raised finger to Daddy Stroll?

I've heard it said that it looks like it'll be a tricky track for overtaking, so will it be a bit of a Monaco tomorrow with qualifying position and stratigic pitting being the key to success?

Talking of racing liveries, the 1950s Maseratis were a strong red and closer to the current Ferrari livery than the original maroon-verging-on-plum colour that Ferrari wore and are wearing for this race.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

An "interesting" qualifying, with the first three within a gnats whisker of each other, Vettel at least getting into Q2 (though not doing much thereafter), Leclerc getting a creditable P5, considering the form over the past few races, and Perez pipping Stroll to P6.  A bit of a raised finger to Daddy Stroll?

I can see a pattern emerging, Hammy holds back until the final practice then nips in and grabs pole position. This has happened several times before.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I can see a pattern emerging, Hammy holds back until the final practice then nips in and grabs pole position. This has happened several times before.

Significantly, by doing so he practices the circuit in the early Qlaps, so doing saves strain on the engine.  Having learned the finer points of the circuit, he then puts in his fast lap.

He gets pole position by refining his knowledge of the place, with minimum wear on the car and one flat-out pole place lap.  He then has a less worn car to race with.  Not rocket science, but cool professional.

Julian

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Jean Todt visits Michael Schumacher.

7 years on and still "fighting" doesn't sound good.

He's fortunate to have the ability to fund his care, and I wish him and his family all the best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Hamilton get a little lucky.

He managed just 1 lap better than Bottas all weekend. Bottas made an error in that lap. This was not the all important 2nd Q3 lap when he usually manages to hook up a winner, but the 1st Q3 'banker' one.

They both went for a second, which is usually expected to be quicker. Hamilton did not manage to go faster & Bottas felt good on his lap before it got ruined by a yellow flag.

It seems like the old case of when someone is struggling to find their best form, luck does not go their way.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

He managed just 1 lap better than Bottas all weekend. Bottas made an error in that lap. This was not the all important 2nd Q3 lap when he usually manages to hook up a winner, but the 1st Q3 'banker' one.

They both went for a second, which is usually expected to be quicker. Hamilton did not manage to go faster & Bottas felt good on his lap before it got ruined by a yellow flag.

It seems like the old case of when someone is struggling to find their best form, luck does not go their way.

I agree 100% but you also have to take every opportunity that you get, and it was unfortunate that Bottas got caught out. it's often the other way around when Bottas thinks he has Pole and Lewis gets a stonker in the last run, as per Singapore, to snatch an unexpected Pole.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

On the other hand, from FP1 to Q3, Hamilton made performance gains in each session as he worked his way into understanding the track.  I see Verstappen actually hired a car to run on the track a few weeks ago so he could get a hands on feel for its character. I feel that must have helped him to P3.

Having watched the Qualifying highlights on C4 yesterday, I was impressed by the resemblance of Mugello to a roller-coaster ride, with all its dips, rises and sharp corners!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Story this morning that Ineos have made a £700m bid to buy Mercedes F1 team - according to Eddie Jordan!!!

Ineos, a chemical company with sales today of around $60 billion.

The interesting question posed here, is not why has a chemical company made a bid for a formula one team? (advertising), but while would they think that Mercedes would be willing to sell?.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, rocor said:

Ineos, a chemical company with sales today of around $60 billion.

The interesting question posed here, is not why has a chemical company made a bid for a formula one team? (advertising), but while would they think that Mercedes would be willing to sell?.

Toto moving on in 2022 to Aston Martin, probably taking Lewis with him I would think.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, rocor said:

but while would they think that Mercedes would be willing to sell?.

Well as an existing sponsor of the team they obviously have insights others don’t or it could be a move to enhance value . . . and it creates more free advertising for both too. 
Toto’s resistance to turning it into a show with reverse grids and possibly Merc thinking of becoming an engine supplier rather than a team accounting for his vague I’ll be staying another year statements? 
All will become clear . . . possibly ;) 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Toto in the BBC story is quoted as saying

"If you want to do random, let's make it a show, but the core DNA of the sport is being an entertainment platform. It is not a show. It is not a reality show and it is not Big Brother and I don't think we should be going there."

So he’s possibly sending a message he won’t stay if it becomes a show?

A show and entertainment are virtually the same thing but I guess he means it’s possible to pre ordain the order, or guarantee chaos, in a show that’s not acceptable in any sport?

• Agree 3

I think what he's saying is that it's not "fixed" like BB and the other "reality" shows. Introducing reverse grids is the first step on a slippery slope to try to "even things out" (i.e. fix). Bear in mind English is not his first language.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1