The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Reward...or Not?

Torper

• RMweb Premium

I've just been having a slight disagreement with a friend.  Basically, the friend had been shopping in a nearby city and when she came home she found that she no longer had her fairly valuable (c. £1300) gold bracelet with her.  She then recollected having taken it off in the changing rooms at one particular shop, one of a well-known national chain, but when she phoned the shop she was told that nothing had been found or handed in.  As the bracelet also had considerable sentimental value, she was very upset.  However, this morning the shop phoned her to say that the bracelet had been found by the cleaner, and so she's going in to pick it up on Monday.

I suggested that in these circumstances it might be nice to give the cleaner a small reward, say £20 or something - the cleaner could of course have kept the bracelet and no-one would have been any the wiser.  My friend did not share that view - she said that the cleaner had merely been doing her job and honesty was to be expected in these circumstances.  We all agreed that in the cleaner's position we'd have done exactly as she did although we knew that quite a lot of people might not have done.

So what do you think - a reward or not?

DT

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No reward (or even a sincere thank you) certainly won’t motivate the cleaner to be so honest next time - and I reckon a fair few items probably get dropped or forgotten in store changing rooms!

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Typical attitude these days - and quite disgraceful.

we were bought up to respect others, say please and thank you, never steal and work for what you want and value it

Sound lessons for life that sadly seem to be disappearing fast as the years go by and society changes...

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me when we found a guide dog puppy identity tag while walking our own dog in a local park - I phoned the number on the tag and obtained the address from someone (possibly an older child) who wasn’t the dog’s owner. I assumed that the tag might be important, so I put it in an envelope and delivered it personally. No one was in when I called, so I noted my details on the envelope, posted it through the door and went home, round trip was around 25 miles. Five years on, I’m still waiting for that polite “thank you “ phone call.....

• Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, Torper said:

... her fairly valuable (c. £1300) gold bracelet ...

I'm shaking my head in wonder that somebody could consider £1300-ish worth of bracelet to be "fairly valuable", and I'm amazed at your friend's attitude.  Tell her to get over herself and do the decent thing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

I have on three occasions rescued animals that had escaped or got lost.

On each occasion the owner offered a reward, which I told them to give to an animal charity, or came round with a bottle of wine and or a bunch of flowers.

£20 for the relief of getting the bracelet back is a small price to pay.

I would be tempted if I were the shop manager to make a charge for the safe keeping of the bracelet.

Bernard

• Like 3

Since your friend doesn't seem to be able to meet the cleaner - why not put the reward in the staff gratuities box? Or ask what is the firm's chosen charity and make a donation to that?

And reconsider your choice in friends.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, spikey said:

I'm shaking my head in wonder that somebody could consider £1300-ish worth of bracelet to be "fairly valuable", and I'm amazed at your friend's attitude.  Tell her to get over herself and do the decent thing.

Probably the same as the sort of people who are rude to shop and wait staff, it apparently makes them think about doing the job better!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

100% reward, the cleaner could easily have thrown it in the bin, after all that is what cleaning is all about, the fact she has gone through the aggro of handing it in is certainly deserving of a reward, personally with the value of the bracelet in both monetary AND sentimental terms I think at least £50 would be reasonable.

The arrogance of your friend stating the cleaner was just doing her job is frankly disgusting.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

When I first started reading this thread (and before reading any responses) I was going to suggest 10% of the value (£130).  As to what price the considerable sentimental value.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, polybear said:

When I first started reading this thread (and before reading any responses) I was going to suggest 10% of the value (£130).  As to what price the considerable sentimental value.....

My wife lost a necklace that had considerable sentimental value. A friend made it especially for her.

Never to be repeated, as that friend later took her own life.

Unfortunately it was never found.

• Friendly/supportive 9