Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

24 minutes ago, DGO said:

For things made of laser cut mdf ? & Plywood  they do look like painted cast metal, well done.

Thanks for that. I painted them in exterior primer then exterior gloss. Then i sprayed satin varnish on the works plate to tone it down a bit.

• Like 1

What we have here is a water tank thermostat spanner, a couple of bits of plywood, the end of a broom handle (freshly cut from our broom!) and three components of what is sold as an industrial style shelving system. What could they possibly be used for?!

20221027_140704.jpg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am afraid the making of repro plates has become something of an obsession supplanting real modelling on GQS.

I will get back to the modelling soon! In the meantime i have fashioned this shed plate as worn by the last loco to work the Dornoch branch, 16XX pannier 1649. I plan to make the smokebox and cabside number plates too.

The second picture is of some laser cut steel numbers I plan to use for the cabside plate.

Cheers

David

20221120_183743.jpg

20221120_184605.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

The making of plates continues! This is the latest work in progress. The smokebox number plate from 55053. This was the last Highland Railway built locomotive to run in service on BR and worked the Dornoch branch for many years.

The good news is I have done a little bit of work on The layout too. I have started preparing the George Square baseboard to accept the buildings Brian made. Hopefully pictures soon.

Cheers

David

20221214_121009.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/12/2022 at 12:41, David Bell said:

.. the North British Hotel in its final position. The ramp is lying loose and has to be adjusted to a slightly shallower angle.

How did I miss this post? The hotel suddenly looks really 'planted' with your paving sections. 

I don't feel too bad that it's missing the side entrance porch features! It makes sense to adjust the ramp until you are happy and we can get it made to fit the exact space. I have some etches to design for another project and will add the components to the order.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, David Bell said:

I couldn't resist posing a tram, albeit a wrong one, just to see how it all sizes up.

Looking good David, reminds me of some of the '60s photos that surfaced in the research. When it's finished, a street-lit night scene would be ace.

• Agree 1

Thanks Brian. I agree lights would be good. One in the tram would be particularly effective.

I have a couple of these Leeds trams which I got for pennies.

I am thinking to repaint them in Glasgow Corporation livery as a stopgap til I build the kits I have of Glasgow trams.

Cheers

David

• Like 1