Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

Back on the model I have started extending the scenic section above the tunnel mouth. The original plan was to have a low relief tenement but I have since decided to model a full tenement, front and back and to extend the street further back to include a further building. Brian at Braeside is working on the tenement now so I thought I should complete the base on which it will stand.

Cheers

David

20230630_081455.jpg

20230630_081335.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2023 at 20:03, David Bell said:

I have started to put the full size signal together. They are bigger than you think! The semaphore arm is 4 ft x 11 inches. The length of the whole thing including the spectacle plate is 70 inches.

For some that’s a decent baseboard.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Big old thing isn't it! It' 

4 minutes ago, David Bell said:

The signal is all in one piece now. 

Big isn't it!! It always amazed me that semaphores were pulled by cables, pulleys and man-power. Signalmen must have been high in the list of people you wouldn't challenge to a bar-room arm wrestle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

Big old thing isn't it! It' 

Big isn't it!! It always amazed me that semaphores were pulled by cables, pulleys and man-power. Signalmen must have been high in the list of people you wouldn't challenge to a bar-room arm wrestle.

I think you are right. I remember there was a lever in the Fouldubs box I could not even move. The signal was a long way from the box. The signalman seemed to move it quite easily.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Bell said:

I remember there was a lever in the Fouldubs box I could not even move

Funnily enough some high-res images of the interior at Fouldubs box popped up on a Facebook group this week.

You weren't in-shot, wrestling with a heavy lever.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Brian is making good progress with the Glasgow tenement and I hope to have the street scene ready for its arrival.

One thing I hope to have in the scene is a Glasgow tram. My quick fix is to use a Leeds tram which sort of looks the part, pending something better! It is not prototypical, not the right number of wheels for a start, but it has the look of an early Glasgow bogie tram. The first task is to take it apart.

20231010_202646.jpg

20231010_203004.jpg

• Like 7

Although the task is basically a repaint and reassembly i have done two things which i think will improve the look.

I cut out the folding doors and I have removed the destination blind box so I can replace it lower down on the front below the level of the upper windows.

20231011_134103.jpg

20231011_134039.jpg

20231011_134140.jpg

20231011_134413.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 11/10/2023 at 19:25, David Bell said:

In the meantime i have started preparing the base for the coach. There will be 14 posts in all, 5 each side and 4 down the middle

20230926_182600.jpg

Having built quite a few sheds and buildings on legs over the years I would have preferred to put it on metal stilts. I used to get them fabricated by a local engineering company (they were usually a time filler) and were simply a large bottom plate(8" square) with a 4" box section leg and topped with a 6" square plate. We would dig a footing which was not much bigger than a post hole and after squaring the base up bolt them down.

Might sound like a lot of faffing about  but It avoided any rot in pressure treated posts which have lasted barely the 10 year guarantee.

Looking forward to seeing progress, I'm currently arranging the pick up of a railway van for the garden but that's just for lounging in.

• Informative/Useful 1

Which of the original route colours would have served Queen Street / George Square? The colour banding did change with time, so probably historic.

46734214652_bf77b647f2_b.jpg

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/history/glasgow-tram-map-stunning-history-16286090

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.6&lat=55.86155&lon=-4.25020&layers=168&b=1

also at https://www.flickr.com/photos/kaputniq/46734214652/

Looks as if the 1 / 1A green band might be appropriate, at least in 1938.

Edited by Dunalastair
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, David Bell said:

This is where we have got to.

20231016_184555.jpg

20231016_184858.jpg

I need to change the colour of the truck to red oxide rather than black and sort the roof . I had a bit of a disaster with that due to some interaction between paint layers which turned it to orange peel but all not lost! Having taken one of these apart i think i will use the other one to produce a single deck works tram , will require some extensive surgery but i think it will work!

4 hours ago, Dunalastair said:

Which of the original route colours would have served Queen Street / George Square? The colour banding did change with time, so probably historic.

46734214652_bf77b647f2_b.jpg

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/history/glasgow-tram-map-stunning-history-16286090

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.6&lat=55.86155&lon=-4.25020&layers=168&b=1

also at https://www.flickr.com/photos/kaputniq/46734214652/

Looks as if the 1 / 1A green band might be appropriate, at least in 1938.

I have gone with green on the basis that by the fifties they had given up on the route colours and settled on green as a standard.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1