Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

3 hours ago, David Bell said:

It is Parliamentary Road. It is not what was actually there at that point on Parliamentary Road,  just a typical tenement. Speaking of bus stations my plan is to have a representation of Dundas Street bus station behind the tenement. Dundas Street Bus Station was a fairly spartan affair, flat ,open to the elements with a low wall round the outside

Careful now, there are more tenament variations than you think!😁

Jim

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am now working on the area which will sit behind the newly delivered tenement. This will have a representation of Dundas St Bus Station including the bus station office and Matthew Reid's pub. Across from that will be a further tenement. I will need lots of Alexander Midland buses to represent a busy bus station. There are quite a few available but i wanted to create something that is not available straight out the box. I took a Barton liveried Leyland Tiger and repainted it. Just the destination and route no. to do.

20231125_115827.jpg

20231118_131937.jpg

20231125_120425.jpg

20231125_120447.jpg

20231125_120515.jpg

• Like 8

I went to school in Callander on Alexanders blue buses for six years in the seventies, so good to see a blue bus with the promise of more to come. I don't remember seeing quite that style of signwriting before - generally either a curly 'Alexanders' or a squarer 'Midland' (or indeed the 'blue bird'). But a Google does turn up examples e.g. these

W. Alexander and Sons (Midland) Limited Bus MPD73 Leyland PSUC1:2 1956 Alexander 1966

Not being a bus expert, over what period was this style used? 

Of course, some were blue and cream while others were cream and blue - I hope we get to see both.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, David Bell said:

This will have a representation of Dundas St Bus Station.

I will need lots of Alexander Midland buses to represent a busy bus station. 

You could have more variety. There were, at least, Central SMT services out of there, Western SMT coaches on English services and (IIRC) some Eastern SMT services too. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dunalastair said:

I went to school in Callander on Alexanders blue buses for six years in the seventies, so good to see a blue bus with the promise of more to come. I don't remember seeing quite that style of signwriting before - generally either a curly 'Alexanders' or a squarer 'Midland' (or indeed the 'blue bird'). But a Google does turn up examples e.g. these

W. Alexander and Sons (Midland) Limited Bus MPD73 Leyland PSUC1:2 1956 Alexander 1966

Not being a bus expert, over what period was this style used? 

Of course, some were blue and cream while others were cream and blue - I hope we get to see both.

I have quite a few collected already

20231125_131929.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

8 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Meanwhile there has been some progress outside with the base for the repllica coach despite some challenging weather. There is a lot of timber still to go in including some central support.

20231125_135847.jpg

And then a bit more timber to build the bodywork. I’m looking forward to following this build David.

A52D1EB0-2E46-44A1-AAE8-54504F8D4BDE.jpeg.a4ed098354183d2e692a808f2fea5003.jpeg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, David Bell said:

That must have been quite a day!

It was supposedly the first time a double decker from Stirling depot had gone over. The driver put a wheel on a soft verge on the afternoon run and the rest followed, with a slomo slide to a stop in a grassy field - thankfully a demolished fence rather than a stone wall. None of the kids were seriously hurt, but the conductress suffered acid burns from the battery under the stair. It is very disorienting to be in a heap of kids in a bus on its side, trying to remember where the emergency exit is.

Nowadays it would be on Reporting Scotland if not the national news - then the kids were simply ferried home in cars which stopped to help. I never did hear how they retrieved the bus - it was gone the next morning, when they gave us an old open-platform ?Leyland. In those days there used to be a serious crash about once every two years - I seem to remember that the Killin bus ended up in the Loch one year. It was safer ten years before when the school trains still ran on the DD&CR and C&OR.

Edited by Dunalastair
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, David Bell said:

That looks good Andy, is it a Welsh Highland one?

It is David but it’s of 1987 vintage not one of the heritage coaches. Plenty of rot was found once the panelling was removed. Strangely below the windows rather than the drop lights. Make sure you seal yours well when you get to that point. 

• Like 2

On 03/11/2023 at 14:23, luckymucklebackit said:

Careful now, there are more tenament variations than you think!😁

Hi Jim,

We selected a suitable subject from tenement drawings that I found online. It seems that although there are very strong patterns in their design, few tenements are the same!

I adapted the  subject to include a bar on the ground-floor. Much of the stonework detail was inspired by this tenement and then weathered ...

Cheers,

Brian

glasgow-tenements-05a.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

It is David but it’s of 1987 vintage not one of the heritage coaches. Plenty of rot was found once the panelling was removed. Strangely below the windows rather than the drop lights. Make sure you seal yours well when you get to that point. 

I recognise the character on the stepladder!

• Funny 1

On 01/11/2023 at 12:09, David Bell said:

The latest masterpiece from Brian has arrived.

20231101_120235.jpg

20231101_120113.jpg

20231101_115946.jpg

Great modelling, but I would question the white window frames.  Titanium dioxide based paint (pure, brilliant white, etc.) was not common in your chosen period.  In Edinburgh, standard window colour for tenement buildings before the 1960s was green.  Pre-WW1, I think that brown or wood graining was more common.  In Glasgow, my understanding is that black window frames were usual.  At any rate, not white.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 hours ago, Camperdown said:

Great modelling, but I would question the white window frames.  Titanium dioxide based paint (pure, brilliant white, etc.) was not common in your chosen period.  In Edinburgh, standard window colour for tenement buildings before the 1960s was green.  Pre-WW1, I think that brown or wood graining was more common.  In Glasgow, my understanding is that black window frames were usual.  At any rate, not white.

I went for brown on mine, looked right at the time.  Think we have both picked roughly the same prototype. 

20160513_194333.jpg.ead79a4b64ff8a65ac7d47d71b85cac1.jpg

Strictly speaking we are both incorrect for this area of the town, as the tenaments around Townhead and Cowcaddens were a lower standard, categorised very early as slums and pulled down.

f00e881a2ee9efcc8268f4e1fe7612f9.jpg.d44a225dfd64f9f4537f8f6300c0ae3f.jpg

Note the lack of bay windows and generally more shabby appearance, don't suppose most people will notice though.

Jim

• Like 7

This is the next building, the bus station office.

This was a modest single storey flat roof brick built affair.

I have cheated a bit by combining two Bachmann parcels offices. So not a faithful copy. 

Once painted in Alexander Midland colours I think it will serve the purpose

20231207_073733.jpg

20231209_103058.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1