Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

We are at the messy bit now. The cobble sets are relatively small laser cut modules so all the joints need filled, sanded and the sets rescribed. I also made a plywood tool to help mark and scribe the sets on the tramway track curve. The pivot will be hidden by the pavement.

20230129_212420.jpg

20230129_212446.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 months later...

I would like to think I could finish it this summer but I am kidding myself!

We are away for a month in July/ August on a post COVID post retirement trip of a lifetime, going to Banff then through the Rockies on the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver, then Vancouver Island to visit relatives, then Seattle, Sun Valley  Idaho, then Denver then back to Calgary then home. You could call it our honeymoon since we have not been anywhere significant since we got married in the middle of Covid in 2020, in front of all of 6 people!

So it is a two summer build. I want to get the ground supports, underframe, insulation and floor done this year including all underframe details  steps etc. It is not apparent in the photo but I have already dug 12 of 18 holes required for the supports.  Next year I will complete the frame, body and roof. Than it will be time to relocate the layouts.

It'll be fun!

Cheers

David

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

What have we here? A new micro layout?

Brian has worked out the dimensions of the remaining buildings at the George Square end of the layout. I need to extend the street by 10cm hence this little box.

The scribing on the tramline is finished too.

Cheers

David

20230507_103706.jpg

20230507_104607.jpg

20230507_104809.jpg

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, David Bell said:

Brian has worked out the dimensions of the remaining buildings at the George Square end of the layout. I need to extend the street by 10cm hence this little box.

Always happy to add to your workload David! 

Cheers, Brian

• Funny 1

On 07/05/2023 at 10:58, David Bell said:

Before the coach comes the shed! This will give me somewhere to make a proper mess!

The bits arrived on a truck this morning.

The picture of the site shows where it will sit together with the coach. The four corners of the coach are marked with the blue capped posts to the left. The shed goes on the concrete base.

Cheers

David

20230512_130609.jpg

20230507_184813.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it would be fun to put some railway items around the shed. One will be a full size signal. I say full size but I am thinking around 12ft tall which is quite short, only 4 ft or so higher than the top of the shed. Another idea perhaps a little easier is a gradient post. I thought this would be a couple of planks nailed to a fence post but having done some research some are more complicated than that. This is based on a Caledonian Railway example and they rebated the cross boards into the post. In truth it is about 3/4 scale but suits the size of the shed. Here is the post with first coat of primer

20230530_190635.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice looking shed like the side for storage well covered over all in all a very solid bit of work  cant wait to see the coach appear you have your work cut out .The view from your house looks great and uncluttered is it only deer you get visitations from?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Very nice looking shed like the side for storage well covered over all in all a very solid bit of work  cant wait to see the coach appear you have your work cut out .The view from your house looks great and uncluttered is it only deer you get visitations from?

I am  not sure you have really seen the view from our house. We overlook the Dornoch Firth and can see all the way from Dunrobin Castle to Portmahomack. Our visitors are diverse. Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, Kite, one resident hedgehog, Herons, House Martin's, Swallows and bats to name a few. Oh and most of my good lady wife's relatives! We are very lucky to live where we do. Other visitors include the daily visit from the RAF. Eurofighters practising their bombing runs to the weapons range at Tain. So a daily air display. We have 8 acres, mostly mature Birch wood, so does not need too much looking after. Some is cleared out to garden. 

20230623_182040.jpg

20230623_182137.jpg

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Other visitors include the daily visit from the RAF. Eurofighters practising their bombing runs to the weapons range at Tain.

As long as they don’t miscalculate and take out the distillery.

• Funny 1