Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, David Bell said:

I have gone with green on the basis that by the fifties they had given up on the route colours and settled on green as a standard.

Yes the colours were really pre war. I really don't know the answer to your question but I have seen several post war pictures of standard trams with Queen St in the background and they are all in green .   The tram looks very good .  Only small things i would say are maybe there's a bit too much white . Maybe paint the front brown below the windscreens .  I think also the white might be better as a cream  and perhaps the green should be a touch lighter .  Sorry not being critical - its a pretty good representation of a Glasgow Tram as it is . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Yes the colours were really pre war. I really don't know the answer to your question but I have seen several post war pictures of standard trams with Queen St in the background and they are all in green .   The tram looks very good .  Only small things i would say are maybe there's a bit too much white . Maybe paint the front brown below the windscreens .  I think also the white might be better as a cream  and perhaps the green should be a touch lighter .  Sorry not being critical - its a pretty good representation of a Glasgow Tram as it is . 

Thanks for that, i am pretty happy with it given it can never be an accurate model, just a good quick fix. The white is actually cream but my picture seems to show it up white! I have a more accurate model in the works. An old white metal kit of a Cunarder. I had fogotten how laborious cleaning up white metal castings is!

20231017_105612.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Thanks for that, i am pretty happy with it given it can never be an accurate model, just a good quick fix. The white is actually cream but my picture seems to show it up white! I have a more accurate model in the works. An old white metal kit of a Cunarder. I had fogotten how laborious cleaning up white metal castings is!

20231017_105612.jpg

Ahh a proper tram . Now you are talking !  These Cunarders and the Coronations before them were stylish trams . 

We are getting there with what I might call the faux Glasgow tram.

Also here are the next two off the blocks, the Cunarder and the Kilmarnock Bogie, lots of work to do on both.

Cheers

David

20231017_194833.jpg

20231017_195019.jpg

20231017_194930.jpg

Edited by David Bell
  • Like 11

Who did the white metal kits? I have fond memories of the Glasgow trams from visiting my grandparents in Paisley. Surely it’s time someone came out with a new model of them (Rapido, Corgi, EFE, et al , are you listening?).

Cheers,

David

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, davknigh said:

Who did the white metal kits? I have fond memories of the Glasgow trams from visiting my grandparents in Paisley. Surely it’s time someone came out with a new model of them (Rapido, Corgi, EFE, et al , are you listening?).

Cheers,

David

The kits are by Tramalan.

I agree some new models of Glasgow trams would be welcome.

Cheers

David

20231018_081518.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Lund said:

Wonderful modelling David.  Both the tram and the cobbled streets and inset tramways.   Giles

Thanks Giles. I have been pushing to finish the tram because the tenement (c/o Brian at Braeside Models)that sits on this street arrives this week. I have seen photos of the final model and it is superb! Far better than i could manage.

The overhead is coming. I will do this bit on Parliamentary Road first, just a straight line. On this section i am going to include a double line for a trolley bus.As you say the section over George Sq will be more of a challenge. Interestingly if you look up in Glasgow you can still see the fixings on some buildings where the tram overhead was fixed. 

Edited by David Bell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, David Bell said:

Here is the tenement in situ on the layout, sitting directly above the tunnel entrance to GQS.

20231102_200924.jpg

20231102_200946.jpg

Ahh right , I was wondering how Tenements fitted in .   Is that Killermont Street ?  If I'm right the road entrance to Buchanan St Bus Station would be roughly where these tenements are on the layout . Superb modelling . Typically Glasgow !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Legend said:

Ahh right , I was wondering how Tenements fitted in .   Is that Killermont Street ?  If I'm right the road entrance to Buchanan St Bus Station would be roughly where these tenements are on the layout . Superb modelling . Typically Glasgow !

It is Parliamentary Road. It is not what was actually there at that point on Parliamentary Road,  just a typical tenement. Speaking of bus stations my plan is to have a representation of Dundas Street bus station behind the tenement. Dundas Street Bus Station was a fairly spartan affair, flat ,open to the elements with a low wall round the outside

• Like 3