Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

• RMweb Premium

Just been to Model Rail Scotland . Some great tenements in either low relief or full scale available from popupdesigns.co.uk . Seriously tempted except I need to figure out how to incorporate it into my layout . Some great laserprinted models there though including a Caley signal box that I might well, buy tomorrow . It’s not often you see Glasgow tenements though and these certainly looked the part . 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

These are Popupdesign kits. I managed to make 4 buildings from 3 kits by adding plain wood for those walls that wont be seen because they are against the backscene. It will take some work to make them pass muster next to Brian's masterpieces. I intend to cover the basic carcasses with embossed plastic. 

20240225_113913.jpg

20240225_114006.jpg

20240225_113924.jpg

• Like 14

14 hours ago, David Bell said:

Some progress with the signal box

That's terrific and I love the gloomy, subterranean feel that's creeping in. Also, the tenements look great in that position.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

That's terrific and I love the gloomy, subterranean feel that's creeping in. Also, the tenements look great in that position.

Thanks Brian, it is starting to come together.

13 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Thanks Brian, it is starting to come together.

It certainly is .. PS did you manage to find good photos of the signal box. The photos I found online were all wreathed in smoke from locomotives!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

You probably need a steam generator belching out smoke from the tunnel mouths ,not forgetting smoke rising up from the low level pre 1961 .  It is looking good . I don’t remember the signal box it must be before my time . I think Queen St had been remodelled by the time I took an interest . It was certainly dieselised 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

It certainly is .. PS did you manage to find good photos of the signal box. The photos I found online were all wreathed in smoke from locomotives!

I found a good picture of the front. The back ie facing the tunnel, is a work of fiction.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

28 minutes ago, Legend said:

I don’t remember the signal box it must be before my time . I think Queen St had been remodelled by the time I took an interest . It was certainly dieselised 

The signal box was closed in 1967.Control was moved to a panel in Cowlairs box. You will remember the gantry on which the box sat. It was left in situ. Any picture of the 70s or 80s will show it.As far as I know it is still there though that bit is covered over now by later development.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Must have been a challenging posting for the signallers' lungs, even allowing that everybody smoked in those days. Diesel fumes were perhaps not necessarily an improvement. But considering how late the low-level platforms were steam-worked before the blue trains settled down, probably nobody thought anything of it at the time (except for the signallers' wives, working overtime on washday). 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Dunalastair said:

Must have been a challenging posting for the signallers' lungs, even allowing that everybody smoked in those days. Diesel fumes were perhaps not necessarily an improvement. But considering how late the low-level platforms were steam-worked before the blue trains settled down, probably nobody thought anything of it at the time (except for the signallers' wives, working overtime on washday). 

I think you are right, especially when you consider nearly every train leaving GQS would be be going full bore to get up the incline and most trains would be banked too. Must have been pretty noisy as well!

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Dunalastair said:

Given a choice between a posting there and e.g. Corrour, I think I know which I'd choose. Even if the wages were better in Glasgow, there would be nothing to spend money on living on the Moor.

I think Courour was a bit special.  For a start, all water came in by train.  But also the working arrangements - there may have been some relief, but I think once there you worked continuously.

Paul.

1 hour ago, Dunalastair said:

Given a choice between a posting there and e.g. Corrour, I think I know which I'd choose. Even if the wages were better in Glasgow, there would be nothing to spend money on living on the Moor.

I don't know how much choice railway staff had in terms of location.

My grandfather was a stationmaster on the LNER. In 1937 he was posted from Cockburnspath on the ECML to Auchtermuchty in Fife. No running water and no electricity. He stayed 3 weeks then told them to stuff it and went back to Cockburnspath.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Legend said:

You probably need a steam generator belching out smoke from the tunnel mouths ,not forgetting smoke rising up from the low level pre 1961 .  It is looking good . I don’t remember the signal box it must be before my time . I think Queen St had been remodelled by the time I took an interest . It was certainly dieselised 

where would smoke from the low level have been visible at the high level?

39 minutes ago, GordonC said:

where would smoke from the low level have been visible at the high level?

There were two open air sections at each end of the low level station but these were outside the footprint of the high level station. The only source of smoke within the high level station would have been the stairwells to the low level station which were located towards the George Sq end of the station.

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, David Bell said:

I think you are right, especially when you consider nearly every train leaving GQS would be be going full bore to get up the incline and most trains would be banked too. Must have been pretty noisy as well!

Definitely was! I saw the end of steam banking out of Queen Street, when they were using V1/V3 tanks, all the N15s having been withdrawn. By then, steam locos as train engines were very rare.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, David Bell said:

I don't know how much choice railway staff had in terms of location.

My grandfather was a stationmaster on the LNER. In 1937 he was posted from Cockburnspath on the ECML to Auchtermuchty in Fife. No running water and no electricity. He stayed 3 weeks then told them to stuff it and went back to Cockburnspath.

My family on my mother's side worked for the railway in NE England. I think that my grandfather worked in the back office rather than on the operations side, but he was moved from York to Hull. My Great Uncle Tom, a true Dalesman who I could barely understand, finished his career as stationmaster at Bedale and bought the stationhouse for his retirement. So, yes, being moved was part of working for the LNER, though I thought it was generally part of career progression unless you were employed in a relief role. There are stories of relief men having to look after the livestock as well as train operation in some of the more remote outposts.

Looking forward to seeing how the elusive signal box comes together. I seem to remember the gantry, but the cabin was before my time.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pH said:

Definitely was! I saw the end of steam banking out of Queen Street, when they were using V1/V3 tanks, all the N15s having been withdrawn. By then, steam locos as train engines were very rare.

I have one of those. I have made a representation of the cable running from the cab to the front coupling

20220822_095617.jpg

• Like 11