Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

5 hours ago, Dunalastair said:

Looking forward to seeing how the elusive signal box comes together. I seem to remember the gantry, but the cabin was before my time.   

It is primed and glazed now

20240309_121756.jpg

20240309_121835.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

21 minutes ago, Dunalastair said:

Looking good. How did the signalmen get up there? A ladder up from track level or a ladder down from street level? Or even a stair?

There was a stair from track level

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, David Bell said:

On the left side of that image

Queen-of-Scots-Express-leaving-Queen-Street-Station-Glasgow2.jpg

I have been peering at this photo for a while. To the right of the stairs is a colour light signal and what looks like a water crane, or is it just a shadow!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, David Bell said:

I have been peering at this photo for a while. To the right of the stairs is a colour light signal and what looks like a water crane, or is it just a shadow!

Yes, definitely a water crane and almost certainly some form of colour light signal

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Most interesting to see a view showing how close everything was.  Many years spent standing on that low level platform at c.17:25 to 17:32 when you could hear the DMU engines on the platforms above so I knew there wasn’t much gap, but nice to see it confirmed photographically.

Also a revelation that 6&7 weren’t always as long as 2-5.  And following the Queen St upgrade, they are shorter once more as 2-5 have been lengthened by a coach length.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, David Bell said:

There has to be an Irn Bru advert somewhere on the layout. Now where is my square sausage!

Not the right station for the Irn Bru clock (mores the pity!!).

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It was an Irn Bru advert mounted on the wall of (I think) Caledonian Chambers (part of Central Station) facing up Renfield St. in my time, it was a large clock with blue hands and orange numerals (and some Irn Bru advertising).  Very useful if you were running down Renfield St a bit tight for a train!

Internet searches reveal previous incarnations of the advert, but I haven’t found one of the clock.

After privatisation it was taken down, because (allegedly) no-one knew who could authorise it to remain. (I suspect the wall was ScotRail in Caley Chambers and the roof beneath it was whoever owned Central Hotel.). Strangely, it seemed no bother to find out the ownership to effect a new electronic advertising sign in its place . . .

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

When you consider the girder count at Central Station, both in the roof and between High Level and Low Level, then Irn Bru seems somehow appropriate. Though Central is still there - perhaps it was the erstwhile St Enoch roof which was used by Barr's?

596be830_eb5a_4d1e_8589_bba82c926085_baa

https://showmethejourney.com/train-travel-info/countries/great-britain/cities/glasgow/rail-stations/glasgow-central/

The 1878 Queen Street roof somehow appears less brash, though I have not seen the latest redevelopment.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 37Oban said:

You've got to have Tunnock's and Irn Bru delivery vans somewhere on the layout!

Roja

I'll take up that challenge! I am sure I have a couple of vans that could be repainted

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2