Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

When the Rocoalikes are fitted to UK stock do the buffers/corridor connections almost touch or is their still a gap ?

I ask because on some European rakes I have the actual Roco ones are a lttle too close & to compensate I use alternate Roco/Rocoalikes as the latter are a tad longer.

It depends if the carriage’s have close coupling mechanisms.

I have used the Roco and tried the Fleischmann type with Bachman CC Mk1 and they are pretty close and work well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

That came across as very amateurish, as I'm sure they could have used other dark areas of the office, to be able to work at head height.

I've been in those offices and the Visitor Centre is easily the darkest place in the building. Especially if you need to film during the day because the cameraman is around late enough for it to get dark. It's also a large enough space for two designers and a cameraman to operate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I've been in those offices and the Visitor Centre is easily the darkest place in the building. Especially if you need to film during the day because the cameraman is around late enough for it to get dark. It's also a large enough space for two designers and a cameraman to operate.

So the dark spray room that Mick and Simon used for the corrected sample was fake, two men and a cameraman got into that room. Not making an issue but it seemed staged and amateurish to me.

• Like 3

I’m hoping it was edited for TV otherwise it’s a bit Heath Robinson ,

But TV needs false jeopardy - anyone watch that Alaska railroad ? Every week the track is blocked by ice , every week they must clear it fast for the one train coming, every week they manage it just in time.

Trying to make it more exciting . Can’t wait for the week where they compare triple grey sector tones and decide in a cave or something to totally use different greys .

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

Ah, have you tried their Roco like couplings? These are must in my book when using long rakes and close coupling systems.  (not that we need them on an APT mind you).

I have, thanks, but I experienced the same problem. I find removing the coupling hook is often sufficient on the Hornby Class 31. On their 50, 56 and 60, I file down the v-shaped piece of plastic behind the buffer beam, making it easier for the coupling to switch from one side to the other. This normally solves the problem, although it does result in a bit of a gap to the first wagon/coach. This can sometimes be reduced by using a shorter coupling though.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

I’m hoping it was edited for TV otherwise it’s a bit Heath Robinson ,

But TV needs false jeopardy - anyone watch that Alaska railroad ? Every week the track is blocked by ice , every week they must clear it fast for the one train coming, every week they manage it just in time.

Trying to make it more exciting . Can’t wait for the week where they compare triple grey sector tones and decide in a cave or something to totally use different greys .

I spent some time on the Alaska Railroad… theres a whole lot of nothing on a 12 hour ride there… definitely not exciting TV, as theres not that many passing loops either on that 400 mile stretch from Anchorage. Definitely recommended as a great railway journey though, for the scenery.

The biggest issue isnt ice, its Moose… they use the track as a footpath, and by law the train cant remove them… if one decides to ignore the horn and walk along, youve just got to go with it.

The problem is its a 12 hour journey and a 12 hour drivers limit… out of time and you have to stop in the middle of nowhere, and helicopter a new crew out.

0FF1D187-FF79-4C87-BA8F-A95F4F1BF06F.jpeg.c587692e706c9b448578fbe87f309ca3.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

5 hours ago, SamThomas said:

When the Rocoalikes are fitted to UK stock do the buffers/corridor connections almost touch or is their still a gap ?

I ask because on some European rakes I have the actual Roco ones are a lttle too close & to compensate I use alternate Roco/Rocoalikes as the latter are a tad longer.

Normally there's a gap - I mix and match Roco and Rocoalikes to get the optimum gap. The KFAs come with Rocoalikes but the genuine Roco ones are brilliant, they couple virtually buffer to buffer yet go around train set curves courtesy of the cam mechanism.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, SamThomas said:

They are close enough for my purposes but then my track radius is between 22 and 26 inches. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/01/2022 at 10:44, Markwj said:

Just spoke with Hornby as I wanted to update my credit card details (have to wait for an email link when the items are in stock so cannot do now unfortunately).

However they told me 5 car set due this week, 7 car set due week of 17th Jan although I would think usual caveats apply.

Well so much for the nice lady telling me the 5 car was due this week- no obvious sign of arrival anywhere! 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Markwj said:

Well so much for the nice lady telling me the 5 car was due this week- no obvious sign of arrival anywhere! 

Well Hornby responded to my email asking about my 7 car set today  and said “ Our system shows that this product is due in stock over the second half of January.”

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Bigeddie said:

Well Hornby responded to my email asking about my 7 car set today  and said “ Our system shows that this product is due in stock over the second half of January.”

Yes I was told week of 17th with 5 car due this week which we have now got to the end of!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Markwj said:

Yes I was told week of 17th with 5 car due this week which we have now got to the end of!

I suspect the first anyone will hear is when those of us whose cc have changed get a please update your card details email, unfortunately i am told you cant update the details until they try and fail to use it! And then you only have 7 days

Edited by Bigeddie
Additional info

• RMweb Gold

Well my extra NDM arrived and an interesting detail for those fitting DCC.

2B57607B-5BB2-45E9-AE94-BD10F39A9C0B.jpeg.16173fc9142d9b4057c78e5065b67693.jpeg

The socket is in the chassis which moves in relation to the bodyshell so the instructions advise sticking the decoder to the chassis so it doesn’t foul the body. 
So you might need to be careful in selecting a decoder for size. 

DE7C2517-F3B8-42BB-B015-3B0D9A6726C9.jpeg.0558d88b907388578b35ac122f515b50.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'm hoping to fit DCC Sound to it once I have the full set. It looks like it will need at least 3 decoders, as you would want all the front end noises to come from the DTS and likewise all the power noises to come from the NDM. There was a hope a special pack could be done instead of just being 3x full price for each decoder. I live in hope.

Neil.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The socket is in the chassis which moves in relation to the bodyshell so the instructions advise sticking the decoder to the chassis so it doesn’t foul the body

For those who don't know the chassis & bogies are rigid (except for being able to rotate to go around corners) & the body rotates around the chassis when it tilts.  There has to be room between the decoder & body so that ( as paulRhB explains ) "the decoder & chassis  doesn’t foul the body"

John

2 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

If you wanted to go for total sound realism you'd need a decoder, or at least a speaker, for every vehicle as you'd want a startup and run sound track for each tilt pack. 

Now THAT would be expensive! :o

There are other ways to get sound, especially if it's just one sound effect. Something like Train Tech's motion activated module, except it would play the tilt pump, for example.

Neil.

• PaulRhB changed the title to Hornby APT (2020 tooling)
4 minutes ago, 50149 said:

I would suspect that it’s an add on to new 5 car pack R30104 which is advertised as 370003/37004 with black window surroundings.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-class-370-advanced-passenger-train-sets-370-003-and-370-004-5-car-pack-era-7-r30104

NDM #49002 would actually go with 370002, given the #02 at the end of its coach number

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, E100 said:

Simon stated APT with 12 coaches needing the second NDM.

Just a pity they couldn’t be bothered to clarify that last year when asked several times. Still at least it’s got a second run after the poor way they’ve treated allocations so hopefully people will manage to get the holes in their sets filled later this year. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2