LMS Coronation Scot Coaches

Garethp8873

14 hours ago, Ravenser said:

>Snipped...

It would be good to see these Hornby "specials" in regular postwar BR liveries . And if Hornby do make an LNER streamliner set , then those could be issued in BR liveries as they were used post war as general service vehicles in ECML express sets. The problem, I suspect, is that many of them were articulated twins: not cheap for the modeller, and needing more complicated handling. Has anyone ever done an articulated twin RTR??

Well, there was the LNER twin set made by Hornby Dublo...

7678BA1D-6D99-46EA-8B6A-1AF9ACFE5E5D.jpeg.c17f0327a45990fa027c2d82cef234b4.jpeg

Not coaches, but Tri-ang Hornby made the two outer wagons from a Cartic 4 set. These were carried on a common centre bogie.

171C1E01-56BF-48BE-8423-153C336E8EE3.jpeg.7ca4a6feb3934e5800c5d8e33dfb06a5.jpeg

Both of these went around Radius 1 type curves too...

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added images...
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

No. Apart from manufacturers where they are virtually built up kits like Golden Age and MARC Models.

Jason

Hornby Dublo did LNER artic twins in tinplate, as mentioned above. Just saw a pair on Facebook marketplace...

17 hours ago, exet1095 said:

Hornby Dublo did LNER artic twins in tinplate, as mentioned above. Just saw a pair on Facebook marketplace...

Tinplate toys though. I thought we were talking about modern detailed models? 

I took the question to be whether Hornby had made an articulated twin out of the Gresley coaches in their range. Which is virtually what the LNER did.

Ian Kirk did the same with his model kits. Really you just need to alter the bogie and some minor alterations to the fittings and you've got articulated coach sets. But will people buy them? I doubt they will be cheap.

Maybe you need a new bogie design which Hornby don't make, I think these are the correct type.

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2412.php

Jason

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Tinplate toys though. I thought we were talking about modern detailed models? 

I took the question to be whether Hornby had made an articulated twin out of the Gresley coaches in their range. Which is virtually what the LNER did.

Ian Kirk did the same with his model kits. Really you just need to alter the bogie and some minor alterations to the fittings and you've got articulated coach sets. But will people buy them? I doubt they will be cheap.

Maybe you need a new bogie design which Hornby don't make, I think these are the correct type.

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2412.php

Jason

Accept I was not quite correct in thinking it hadn't been done. In terms of price constraints and handling the Hornby Dublo twin is highly relevant, though they retooled it post-war as separate carriages

So an LNER articulated twin out of the streamlined sets could be done. The question would be whether you'd have a detachable 1 bogie coach, or whether - as I think was done with the Eurostar = the centre bogie splits in two . You would be into three figures per unit, and the box would be long and awkward for all

Whether that would be commercially viable must be a bit marginal. It feels more like Rapido territory to me. 

And if any of the streamliners had a dining triplet, I think that would put the kibosh on the project. Beavertail observation saloons and twins could sell separately, though the price would be high. An articulated dining triplet would be surely uncommercial as a separate item in post=war livery

• Like 1

I think it would be doable, At a price.

The main problem would be making a bogie that works as the real one does which works with "train set curves" but is visually acceptable.

No much room to play with. This is part of the Quad Art. You also need to have a pair of corridor connections if you are thinking about the Streamliner sets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fredpipes/6978870587/

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think it would be doable, At a price.

The main problem would be making a bogie that works as the real one does which works with "train set curves" but is visually acceptable.

No much room to play with. This is part of the Quad Art. You also need to have a pair of corridor connections if you are thinking about the Streamliner sets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fredpipes/6978870587/

Jason

ive got an Ian Kirk twin set, and hit that issue, looks nice, but tight on my corners.

I resolved it by adding 2x0.5mm washers around the pins , it lifted the bogie just enough to clear the wheel flange from the coach frame on my tight corners. I think visually its passable.

If ive time tomorrow i’ll post a picture. The kirk articulateds are a virtual stones throw from Hornbys suburbans, I was thinking of converting some teaks to articulated (as theres no way i’d ever replicate that paint finish)... if its 90% there its good enough for me, the other 10% can wait until if I can still retire in several decades time.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

warning this is off topic...

Here’s the comparison of the Ian Kirk kit vs the Hornby Suburban..

for dimensions, they are the same... length, width, height.

both Brake and 3rd are identical above the frame.

EEEB62BB-7484-4E7F-8E6D-6474023B0CB0.jpeg.f4d4333e97cb03b964bea8441c7850d3.jpeg

91B17DB5-F192-4784-951D-9142CCDF15BA.jpeg.03171f2580c32b35056bcd411b523f66.jpeg

BE850887-1316-458E-AF40-FA1B2FCC59D8.jpeg.f2ec02122affbe070ad7367090225343.jpegCB3D22FC-C6A8-4D92-8FBD-4ABED6FF9ECE.jpeg.78897834e10a20aa3d1e8713119168e5.jpeg

Under the frame, the significant detail appears to be down to tooling age rather than technical difference.

However the under frame bars are both longer, and start further back from the non-articulated bogie. (You can see the Kirk kit uses the chassis for fixing both the articulated (held via pin) vs the non-articulated bogie.

D018D440-FA22-453D-8637-BF2DAFF6DDBF.jpeg.d99380d728aa629aadad0488e07235c0.jpeg

and fixing the coaches to the bogies is just about drilling holes eqidistant either side of where the centre pin would go.

CF2953BD-141E-4326-9D58-BF6B1F1509D7.jpeg.c348e0116b92074dd86480efa630b61b.jpeg

I did note that to compensate the added ride height, I substituted 12.9mm vs 14.1mm coach wheels... not that you’d notice..(some height is factored into the articulated bogie already).

EEBAF0DA-0AAA-40C4-81E4-8224EC4826EA.jpeg.39c181a9a2c40df3b918fc0f6a26708b.jpeg

I can not vouch for accuracy of the Kirk prototype, but given its similarity to the Hornby one I’m assuming it’s accurate.

So my next step is to remove a bogie from the Teaks, drill some holes, and consider a little adjustment to the under frame detail....

tbh if the kit is accurate, I’d very surprised if Hornby didn’t consider doing the same next steps as well, which is why I haven’t yet done it..I’m guessing it’s down to lack of a new tooled something to pull them.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Placed an order for a small rake of 6 - as listed - today.

I was told, as is now common, that delivery is not anticipated until MAR2021.

Al.

I couldn’t believe the price until I realised that the coaches are Railroad! The saving is so great that I expect that the Railroad models are the old version rather than a downgraded version of the latest tooling.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

image.png.1a35652319546d16f9df33966759cddd.png

Don't look very Railroad, and are supposed to have lighting ...

Al.

What you’re showing there is a full fat version. Looking at the illustration on the Hornby website, I see no pressure ventilation ducting, no NEM pockets and moulded corridor connections. I can’t see three £47·99 coaches being offered for £69·99, even down-specked a bit, wonderful though that would be.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

What you’re showing there is a full fat version. Looking at the illustration on the Hornby website, I see no pressure ventilation ducting, no NEM pockets and moulded corridor connections. I can’t see three £47·99 coaches being offered for £69·99, even down-specked a bit, wonderful though that would be.

I'm pretty sure what you have found is the old old Hornby "LMS" coaches.

Neither are a good example of an actual LMS coach but they have been dressed up in a variety of different liveries for many many years now.

• Agree 4

6 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I couldn’t believe the price until I realised that the coaches are Railroad! The saving is so great that I expect that the Railroad models are the old version rather than a downgraded version of the latest tooling.

The full fat ones were on the website until a couple of days ago then disappeared....

Now back again!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/catalogsearch/result/?q=coronation

Jason

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

New coaches looked good on Signalbox.

Only thing which showed up was perhaps the zoom exaggerating, but the moulding of the 'Art Deco' table lamps didn't look the best.

Loving the sprung buffers and lamps on the Hornby higher fat coaches.

Al.

Shouldn't be much of an issue with normal viewing distances. As you said it was zoomed in quite a bit.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, maico said:

Do these come with lights fitted? Hatton's say they do but the Hornby site doesn't mention them.

I remember reading that Hornby are working on the lighting to make it realistic, ie. not too bright.

I can't remember where I saw that though. I guess we will just have to wait for a future Engine Shed to see the next stage of development.