• RMweb Gold

Part of the journey to creating Easton has consisted of quite a few layouts of different styles built for practice. One of these was a small TMD that attached to the main layout at the Alton Model Centre, mentioned previously in this thread. About 4 years ago I took a series of photographs of this layout, but they were an absolute failure because of depth of field problems. I now know how to avoid these problems, but thought that you might like to see what the layout looked like. It was removable from the Alton layout, so that I could bring it home and play with it here as well.

IMG_5836.JPG.7bace111f4e50c0b198736a73f7c4601.JPG

IMG_5845.JPG.081270d36a075f8f628b9e5abc412b03.JPG

If I was to build something like this again it would not be something like this!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

There are now several locomotives (and a DEMU) ready for running on Easton, fitted with decoders and under test from time to time. Everything except the M7s in the photograph seems to be running perfectly over all the track laid so far. The M7s derail at one point in the fiddle yard and that is currently under investigation, but I'm expecting it to be a gauging problem with the locomotives because all other stock clears that point without difficulty.

P1010061_Cropped.JPG.23065260b98455e92d8fa3d15e083153.JPG

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A Bulleid pacific did reach Tophill (albeit by low-loader). 35018 British India Line was for quite a time in Barry Gamble's Yard off Tradecroft. (See more photos here).

Since it opened (Circa 2003) the off site vegetation growth has been rapid and the site is now surrounded by a huge amount of greenery and the yard work has also changed, it is nowadays mostly associated with mobile cranes.

My most bizarre sight while it was open, but sadly pre-mobile phone camera days, was seeing a BR 2-6-4 tank heading up New Road towards Priory Corner. Side on, and on its low loader, the trailer was invisible so it looked like the engine was running light up to Tophill; although to do so up that incline would have needed the fitting of a rack drive!

005_P6020064_46663650.jpg.4d7b4adf7cb3cf8573ed4f56674761df.jpg

Edited by john new
Photo(s) found and/or replaced post crash.
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Could be worse..........nobody's mentioned the L&NER.........yet....oh....hang on..

Rob. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

You might think you've seen this before and, if so, you'd be wrong. This is the other half of the layout-to-control panel terminations, not quite finished because dinner was ready too early. :D

My second batch of adapters arrived and were found to be configured differently to the first batch. The first batch were numbered 1 to 25 (not surprisingly) anti-clockwise, but the second batch are numbered clockwise. Not a problem, obviously, but I had to draw my diagrams again. So inconvenient!

P1010484.JPG.3b27de60d35584c13f4e78729b85f929.JPG

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, john new said:

And a V2, B1 and a Deltic which although wasn't LNER was definitely ECML.

This is all well and good, but I don't think that I can justify them clambering up the hill to Easton. That Accurascale Deltic does look rather good, though . . . . . .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

This is all well and good, but I don't think that I can justify them clambering up the hill to Easton. That Accurascale Deltic does look rather good, though . . . . . .

You might get away with a variation, given that you have already bent the time line to keep Easton open. The Sheepcroft extension is off stage and would it be too implausible to assume that, if the rail connection option had been available, SSC would not then have been set up at Tradecroft (never standard gauge rail connected) but rather in the Inmosthay industrial site immediately next door to the Sheepcroft site. 

Easton would not take a full length mainline special but Victoria Sq could have done, with only the loco and support coach going on up to SSC for servicing. 

Only an evening drift off into dreamland but in that I can stand on the Mermaid Bridge, pint in hand, and hear the sound of locomotives blasting up the hill and then through the cutting below me. (Sadly like the adjacent railway The Mermaid is no longer a pub)

Can you not recall the heady days when Portland was receiving the regular summer runs of the The Hardy Countryman (Down from Bristol) and The Master Mason (from Waterloo), and not forgetting such memorable one-offs over the years as The Napier Snarler, The Chesil Belle, The Thames Tout Pullman, and The Slingsman.

Edited by john new
Added note about the Mermaid being now closed.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That's the control panel connections finished, then. Well, half of them, anyway. There's still the female connections to do, but they'll have to wait until I've designed and commenced the control panel itself.

P1010553_Cropped.JPG.71f7812e5c091b58527fddb284472586.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon, I thought I'd continue with the installation of the sound decoder in the Crompton/class 33. When I closed everything down the day before yesterday, the succesful testing of this installation meant that the locomotive was running around the layout with noises coming from the places that noises should. When I tried starting it this afternoon, nothing happened. No movement, no sound, nothing. I felt a little disappointed about that (!!) and immediately set about some problem determination.

Rolling road - dead as a doornail. No sound, no movement.

Programming track - read decoder OK, write CVs OK, no sound no movement.

Rip open the locomotive, separate decoder from platform - no sound, no movement.

Replace buffer beam bits that fell off, replace glazing that jumped out of headcodes, picked up glass of tonic water that leapt off the table onto the floor - plenty of sound and not a little movement, but not from the locomotive.

Checked electrical continuity from wheels to decoder. Nothing doing. Aha!, thought I, here's the problem. Noticed that the soldered joint from motor to decoder was not as robust as it ought to be. Ripped apart the chassis to get at the motor terminals.

It went on like this for some time, and eventually I cleaned the backs of the wheels with some IPA - sound, movement, bliss.

What I don't understand is how all that dirt got there between turning it off on Thursday and starting it up this afternoon. Just shows that technology will bite you whatever precautions you take.

Before I started:

P1010556.JPG.83391339d6822bf8921f3a966eb6425f.JPG

When I finished:

P1010561.JPG.51d36e6e3889f5d4eb4bfd839bc96729.JPG

There's got to be a moral in this. You decide what it is . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Oh go on....

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Heljan Crompton (Class 33) fitted with sound decoder (Zimo MX645R with Digitrains project installed) and under test on the layout.

There are two things to note here:

1. There are no buildings yet installed on the layout.
  2. There is no crew fitted in the cab.

P1010562.JPG.604e226b2f1d2b0d81c2894bde9adca1.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Heljan Crompton (Class 33) fitted with sound decoder (Zimo MX645R with Digitrains project installed) and under test on the layout.

There are two things to note here:

1. There are no buildings yet installed on the layout.
  2. There is no crew fitted in the cab.

P1010562.JPG.604e226b2f1d2b0d81c2894bde9adca1.JPG

Well, that's disappointing. I sat back with my crisps and beer and clicked on the image. 

No vidjoe.

Rob. 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1