• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

P1010562.JPG.604e226b2f1d2b0d81c2894bde9adca1.JPG

Wow!

I love your cut down Crompton man... seriously!

It's almost akin to the backend of a Vauxhall Chevette minus it's bumper, truly magical.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

No vidjoe.

I've given this some thought.

I sat in the workshop and listened.

What I heard, and what would interfere with the sound of a Crompton, was:

1. Pigeons
  2. Jackdaws
  3. Chickens
  4. Ducks
  5. Lawnmower
  6. Chainsaw
  7. Neighbour

Heaven only knows what I'd be able to hear coming from outside the workshop.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

With regards to 4, 5 & 6, combine those and a Crompton will sound like that anyway. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

You could lend him your skateboard.

Technically it's my daughters but yes, I could. However, co-ordinating the camera, working the controller and moving the skateboard is not for the feint hearted. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

1. Pigeons
  2. Jackdaws
  3. Chickens
  4. Ducks
  5. Lawnmower
  6. Chainsaw
  7. Neighbour

Are you implying that Cromptons required absolute silence in order to operate properly?

As I recall, the sounds that you list are authentic for the Crompton era of operation.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Are you implying that Cromptons required absolute silence in order to operate properly?

As I recall, the sounds that you list are authentic for the Crompton era of operation.

I can't see a firty free from here but I think I can hear one.

IMG_20200623_135536954.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

34 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I can't see a firty free from here but I think I can hear one.

I do believe SpeccySaviours do hearing as well as eye tests now ! :crazy_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I've given this some thought.

I sat in the workshop and listened.

What I heard, and what would interfere with the sound of a Crompton, was:

1. Pigeons
  2. Jackdaws
  3. Chickens
  4. Ducks
  5. Lawnmower
  6. Chainsaw
  7. Neighbour

1-6 are understandable but you could go and tell Martin to pipe down ;)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

What an exciting day it has been. Not because the postman has been, but because the mandatory testing of track with short wheelbase locomotives has revealed a couple of points with problems.

The first one turned out (sorry) to be what I think was damage to the wire to one side of the common crossing underneath the base. I didn't want to take up the point to fix it, so I just soldered a wire to the outside of the problem rail and connected it to the existing wireunder the board. It now works fine.

P1010566_Cropped.JPG.f1afd31d98c30134f8ccca93bc23adda.JPG

The second was not quite as easy. The problem point is one of a pair acting as a crossover, and power did not reach the common crossing in one direction only. If I pressed the actuator arm hard, power was restored, but was lost as soon as pressure was released. Thinking that this might just be a positioning problem, I removed the point and adjusted its position by 1mm at one end. No change!

If I had had a spare Cobalt I would have just replaced it, but I hadn't, so I couldn't. Nothing for it but to dismantle the motor and investigate, and this is what was found:

P1010565_Cropped.JPG.95c43c057c3e09775e6c45161298fb42.JPG

There is no way I'm going to fix that, so a replacement was the plan. That was when I found that there are none to be had. All the big guys had no stock, nor did the manufacturers. What I should have done was to call my 'local' model shop first, because that would have saved some time and not  a few samples of Anglo Saxon. I was able to reserve one replacement and one spare, to be collected soon, because the shop has been open for visitors since 15th June.

There is another layout in the workshop that has been in storage for a couple of years, and that uses Tortoise motors. Guess what has been installed on Easton, as a temporary measure, to permit the continuance of testing.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

5 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Guess what has been installed on Easton, as a temporary measure, to permit the continuance of testing.

I'm going to guess an H&M point motor ?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, bgman said:

I do believe SpeccySaviours do hearing as well as eye tests now ! :crazy_mini:

Lucky I didn't mention the sharks and the Yasen class sub then in't it.

• Funny 1

Back in 2016 I had a few duff motors and emailed DCC Concepts, I had a very quick response which was as shown below.

It may be of some use to anyone who has had similar problems.

Over and above the response I was sent replacements ( from Australia ) for the batch that were faulty and told to keep them in order to modify if I so wished, I never did but the new ones worked flawlessly until I disassembled my layout at the time.

I have since gone over to servos which I am also happy with.

G

572155091_ScreenShot2020-06-23at19_38_18.jpg.1dda201ac3a098f5d09ae0c4a3ab2c30.jpg

File carefully just 0.2mm from the side of the slot which holds the motor shaft in place.
(area to file shown with red line)

Bearing Slot for Motor (file theREDareaonly)

Add a small packing piece between 0.2 and 0.3mm here.
(position for packing piece is shown with a green line)

Secure the packing piece and motor with a little silicone or
similar flexibleadhesive.

Modification for intermittent Cobalt Motor

One batch of Cobalt DIGITAL has an intermittent problem that was not noticed until after production, because although 100% of units are tested the problem does not manifest consistently, so a motor will work several times without problems .

That also means that a returned unit often works perfectly during our service tests! This made it quite hard to localise the problem... however it is now identified.

(1)  Scope - a batch of 2000 included a percentage of cases which were injected at too high a temperature, changing case shrinkage vs tool specifications.

(2)  Action: It is impossible to segregate reliably so all remaining stock of that batch has been quarantined. It will have the Cobalt Digital cases replaced in all units before sale.

(3)  Remedy: Some units are in the field. Any units returned will be replaced without question. Overseas modellers who advise of this problem will have replacement units sent no charge with NO need to return the originals as post cost is unfair to the purchasers / users.

Where user wishes to remedy locally, this“fix” wil be sent: It will allow 100% recovery of ALL motors.

(a)  disassemble the motor. (Please take photographs before disassembly to aid later re-assembly of motor)

(b)  carefully file the outer side of the motor bearing slot (shown in red above)

(c)  insert a 0.2~0.3mm spacer as shown in green

(d)  Secure motor and spacer with silicone or similar and allow to dry before reassembly.

(4)  Future prevention. We cannot allow repeating of this mistake.

(a)  Redesign tool to make small variance irrelevant. (existing tools at 50% life, but added investment now will prevent any possibility of repeated reliability issues). Externally there will be ZERO changes.

(b)  Take this opportunity to address several small issues in relation to gear structure improvement, noise reduction and ensure reliability guarantee above 100k changes.

(c)  Change to new injection mould company with tighter production engineering management.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bgman said:

Back in 2016 I had a few duff motors and emailed DCC Concepts, I had a very quick response which was as shown below.

It may be of some use to anyone who has had similar problems.

Over and above the response I was sent replacements ( from Australia ) for the batch that were faulty and told to keep them in order to modify if I so wished, I never did but the new ones worked flawlessly until I disassembled my layout at the time.

7 hours ago, Gilbert said:

May be worth talking to DCC Concepts - they do stand by their products...

Thank you Grahame and Chris. The point motor at fault was not bought by me, but donated by somebody who had rejected them as unreliable. He had had them replaced by new ones from DCC Concepts. I knew what I was letting myself in for (sort of) so can't expect them to sort this one out.

Back in the workshop this afternoon I found another one doing exactly the same thing. That can wait until tomorrow!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

The point motor at fault was not bought by me, but donated by somebody who had rejected them as unreliable. He had had them replaced by new ones from DCC Concepts. I knew what I was letting myself in for (sort of) so can't expect them to sort this one out.

A particularly honourable outlook that might not be shared by everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1