• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, steve45 said:

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, however could they still be used when spraying acrylics?

That's going to depend on the carrier used by the acrylic manufacturer. I'm not a chemist so don't know what the carriers are that various manufacturers use but, at a guess (underlined, captalised and in inverted commas), I'd say that most would be alright, but Tamiya might not be. There are some manufacturers whose acrylics I haven't tried, so couldn't comment on, like MRP and MR Hobby.

My personal fear is the inhalation of paint particles and that's what I use a mask for when airbrushing outside the spraybooth. I avoid the use of enamels and lacquers outside the spraybooth.

Bear in mind that if you use an airbrush outside a spray booth, there will be a lot of paint dust in the atmosphere well after your session if finished. It will land on your railway. I know this!

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Pressing enter too soon.
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 05/02/2021 at 10:48, Mick Bonwick said:

Washes and pigments is the plan, Kevin. I'll be trying it on the test piece first, of course. :P

Look forward to that bit Mick. I'm at that point with my layout, tried some acrylic washes but not really any good, can't seem to beat enamel paints for use in a wash. I haven't put pigments on there yet. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, sb67 said:

Look forward to that bit Mick. I'm at that point with my layout, tried some acrylic washes but not really any good, can't seem to beat enamel paints for use in a wash. I haven't put pigments on there yet. 

I've never had any luck with acrylic washes either, Steve. There must be a way of getting the same results as I can with enamel washes, but I haven't yet found it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I've never had any luck with acrylic washes either, Steve. There must be a way of getting the same results as I can with enamel washes, but I haven't yet found it.

I suspect that the problem lies with the thinning medium. Diluting with water doesn't cut it due to its surface tension stopping the wash flowing.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Mick, have you seen a youtube video from Vallejo using their pigments. It's fantastic, I wonder if any could be adapted for Railway use in a smaller scale. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16sd_QzQFXs

Standard pigment application processes, Steve. Most of the pigments that I use are from the scale modelling series made by AMMO by MIG, AK Interactive, MIG Productions and Abteilung 502. They are not really any different from those made by Vallejo.

There are many worked examples on my blog, on Accurascale's website and in the Missenden Abbey Railway Modellers' website section from the Autumn online event.

Happy Browsing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

All I seem to have done today is put stuff away. I don't really know why, I'll probably need it again tomorrow.

What have you done today?

Read this.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

All I seem to have done today is put stuff away. I don't really know why, I'll probably need it again tomorrow.

Briefly, I've stuck a notice board up. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Glad you asked - almost nothing!

But at least your question has kept me busy. :lazy:

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Taking things forward, I've read a few MRJ with an Eastern flavour. Oh and posted stuff on here, though my post on the Modelu thread hasn't brought forth a comment, yet. ;) 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

At first thought Mick, not a lot!

However thinking about it, on the modelling front:-

Packaged two parcels and took them to the post office,

Went out to the Railway room, via the storage space where I found some vehicles for the layout.

Unpacked two locos, set their codes on the test track, tested them on the layout.

Positioned a few items on the layout and took some pics.

Returned to the house, downloaded the pics, wrote some items to RMWeb, using some of the pics from this morning.

Caught up with stock availability /reserved some items from AGR (local Model Shop). Pick up Friday.

Ordered some TTS decoders online.

Caught up on threads on RMWeb.

Add in to this some household jobs and meal preparation, and watching some TV with my wife.

A fairly full day!

Cheers

Paul  

• Like 3

A vaguely on topic question: Is that Southern Railway concrete platelayer's hut still standing on the Weymouth shore just before where the bridge girders started?

I passed it quite regularly many years ago, (luckily?) I'm not old enough to have seen trains crossing it.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A vaguely on topic question: Is that Southern Railway concrete platelayer's hut still standing on the Weymouth shore just before where the bridge girders started?

I passed it quite regularly many years ago, (luckily?) I'm not old enough to have seen trains crossing it.

Which former bridge, the Backwater or Small Mouth? Will check next time I am out that way, but I don’t recall seeing it recently at Small Mouth and it isn’t there on Google Earth. Nothing left at the Backwater bridge, what was left east of Abbotsbury Road went with building development.

Edited by john new
Accidentally posted whilst still typing.
  • Informative/Useful 2