The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, robmcg said:

Well, super-cures and imminent vaccines are now all over such as Vogue and similar magazines, so we must prepare for the avalanche of conspiracy theories.

Here is my assessment. 

The Dems in the USA wanted a recession, Donald Trump is far too popular.  They have it.

Sanders has his wish. Destruction of Existing Unfairness in Capitalist Structures. Get rid of Trump at any cost...  note; the Covid-19 virus tends to spare Sanders' voting base.    Hmmmm.  The Chinese 'discoverer' of the strain has died, or disappeared.

All globalist UN leaders and their leftist or 'centrist' acolytes will enjoy their new powers. Observe that Putin and China are unworried by this fear-laden 'war' on a disease not yet proven to be be more fatal than a bad flu strain.

Clearly the Deep State has had a hand. We know that underneath the UN headquarters there is an altar where these dark beings worship. A friend who reads a lot told me this was true.

I also believe the world is flat.

edit; I studied philosophy at uni.  How can I be wrong?  I need a humour icon here but cannot find one.  ;)

Note this post could perhaps should be deleted, for this will PROVE I'm right.  Of course it could be aliens....    I must ask my friend.

Clearly meant to be humorous. But irony rarely works well on internet forums or e-mails.

But you are right the conspiracy theorists are getting going. Speaking to a cousin last night, he recounted all sorts of strange theories that are doing the rounds. His sister much worse with the virus yesterday and he thinks that he has got it now.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Lantavian said:

Just because you have had similar symptoms as coronavirus, to say that's proof that you had coronavirus is to commit a logical fallacy called "affirming the consequent". 

An example

If an animal is a dog, then it has four legs.

My cat has four legs.

Therefore, my cat is a dog.

If you genuinely believe that it was coronavirus, then see your doctor and tell him/her. 

But given the avalanche of medical evidence coming out of China about coronavirus, it doesn't seem very likely, does it?

Agreed, I am fully aware of the difference between correlation and causation.

Presumably the proof of the pudding might be if none of we four get the thing, which would be statistically unlikely given the predicted 70% infection rate (which I take to means 70% before a vaccine becomes available).

I've been a little suspicious of the "official" timeline from the start. It just seems a little too precise and the Chinese govt. is one that only tells the world what they want the world to know, and when they want it to know. 

My December bug was unusual in that it didn't include a blocked nose, something that I have most of the time through the winter months. Very runny, but little sneezing, more like hay fever (as I experience it)

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

As I asked several weeks ago that people do not post conspiracy theories you seem to have made a self-fulfilling prophecy, please don't waste my time. 

Which is fair enough Andy, but I missed that and perhaps others have too. (I don't follow this topic closely - unlike you I have that luxury.)

It did seem that Rob's post was tongue in cheek, but I do agree that is far safer to not post conspiracy theories than to post them in jest - lest someone interpret them as accurate and propagate them further.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just taken a look at the official Govt guidance (as of 16/3) relating to vulnerable groups. It would seem that I have misinterpreted what Govt spokesmen have been saying on television and so I don't need to go on a total lockdown for 12 weeks. Not yet, anyway. 

7 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

-China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

CNN is presently reporting the following:

A pivotal moment in China: Mainland China reported no new locally transmitted coronavirus cases for the first time since the the pandemic began. The country recorded 34 new cases of coronavirus yesterday -- all imported from overseas.

Wuhan restrictions: The Chinese city at ground zero of the pandemic will need to see 14 consecutive days of no new cases before travel restrictions can be lifted, a top Chinese health expert said.

Hubei lockdown eases: Months of lockdowns and travel restrictions affecting hundreds of millions of citizens are slowly easing. Inter-provincial travel, which had previously been shut down entirely, is gradually resuming. People from other provinces are now allowed into Hubei province, of which Wuhan is the capital.

(This a on a live update page, which is not static.)

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Testing for Coronavirus has now commenced in some villages:

ducking.jpg

I would be laughing at that but for the fact the panic buying and "me me me" attitude of people in the last few weeks shows we have people with the same mentality in this day and age. :(

• Agree 8

8 hours ago, Lantavian said:

Have these people made themselves known to researchers?

And of course, this is just a story on the internet.... :(

EDIT: I'm a journalist. Could you PM their details please, and I'll pass them on to my colleagues in the UK.

As a journalist, I'm sure you're aware that doing so would be a breach of confidence, not to mention breaching any number of data protection provisions.

John.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

As a journalist, I'm sure you're aware that doing so would be a breach of confidence, not to mention breaching any number of data protection provisions.

John.

Maybe ask them to contact Lantavian.......?      

• RMweb Premium

This article caught my eye:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/19/coronavirus-pandemic-human-rights

I am not really a Guardian fan and I don't generally share it's editorial position. However this article articulates many of my own concerns, it's too political in areas (anyone thinking the issues raised are because of our current government or things would be different under the alternatives is delusional in my view) but the underlying arguments and concerns are ones I completely agree with.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Only if they have a fixed rate mortgage. That was the norm back in the 70s. Most people these days are, I believe, on trackers. So inflation is no help at all. 

Hi Joseph,

It is no use trying to tell most folks the facts about how the banking system actually works. They become so confounded about how much of scam it really is they either get angry or call you a conspiracy theorist. Both of which are examples of triggered responses to situations that they can't comprehend.

The currency is no longer backed by gold and hasn't been since 1971 hence rampant inflation ever since then due to currency creation under the MMT system. In fact most of the gold that was in the LBMA has been hypothecated and sent to China after being refined in Switzerland.

Here are some questions we could ask about the above two paragraphs:

• How does the banking system work ?
  • What happened in 1971 ?
  • What is MMT ?
  • What is the LBMA ?
  • What does Hypothecated mean ?

Rather than go and find out the ignorant among us will have a paddy-whack and scream conspiracy which is a most unfortunate and effective way to close down any discussion upon any subject. This is nothing more than triggered behavior due to certain stimuli, a certain quote in my previous posts will explain very well. There are a lot of examples of triggered responses on this thread, mostly by those that will not look at questions let alone answer them. 

All of the above needs to be thought about because with people not working and business shutting down the velocity of money will reduce and cause all sorts of financial problems that will make 2008 look like a warm up act.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Lantavian said:

But if you owned a house and had a mortgage, inflation made you richer.

Say you bought a house in 1960 for £3000, and your mortgage payments were £25 a month, and you were earning £75 a month.

(These are not actually figures, they're to illustrate my point.)

Mortgage payments were one-third of your income.

With inflation of 3% a year, your salary would be £150 a month by 1985, but your mortgage, assuming interest rates stay the same, would still be £25 a month ... which is only one-sixth of your salary.

Of course in real life, interest rates go up and down. Inflation on average was far higher than 3% in the 1960s and 1970s. The value of houses rise too. Lots of other variables.

But on the whole, inflation makes home owners richer.

Inflation is a tax on savings, assuming that the money return is less than the inflation rate, which historically it tends to be in times of higher inflation.

Inflation also erodes the value of fixed incomes, such as pensions, unless they are fully inflation proofed.

Whilst inflation does , obviously, boost house prices, this is of no value to you unless you downsize. Also house prices ought to simply keep pace with incomes over time, in the UK that has been exceeded more recently because of very cheap borrowing rates and shortage of physical buildings compared to demand in many (but not all ) areas.

Big winners from inflation are Governments with significant borrowings, as the real value of those borrowings diminishes. Given the huge sum of money being pumped into the economy, and not just in the UK, I'd expect inflation to rise in the future, and so the real value of government debt will fall.

John.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, jjb1970 said:

This article caught my eye:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/19/coronavirus-pandemic-human-rights

I am not really a Guardian fan and I don't generally share it's editorial position. However this article articulates many of my own concerns, it's too political in areas (anyone thinking the issues raised are because of our current government or things would be different under the alternatives is delusional in my view) but the underlying arguments and concerns are ones I completely agree with.

Hi JJb,

It's good to see that even the MSM is noting that this could be a very serious problem.

Environmental legislation is almost always put forward as  "for the common good" and yet most people don't know that the first political party to enact environmental legislation were the Nazi's in the 1930's, they claimed it was, "for the common good".

Gibbo.

5 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Inflation is a tax on savings, assuming that the money return is less than the inflation rate, which historically it tends to be in times of higher inflation.

Inflation also erodes the value of fixed incomes, such as pensions, unless they are fully inflation proofed.

Whilst inflation does , obviously, boost house prices, this is of no value to you unless you downsize. Also house prices ought to simply keep pace with incomes over time, in the UK that has been exceeded more recently because of very cheap borrowing rates and shortage of physical buildings compared to demand in many (but not all ) areas.

Big winners from inflation are Governments with significant borrowings, as the real value of those borrowings diminishes. Given the huge sum of money being pumped into the economy, and not just in the UK, I'd expect inflation to rise in the future, and so the real value of government debt will fall.

John.

Hi John,

May I add that when the value of government debt falls so will the value of the currency.

After all some years back Zimbabwe had he worlds best performing stock market in nominal terms for that very reason !

3b43_12.jpg.167f3784a33c0867faef18babc67aa2c.jpg

Find out how much these were worth.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lantavian said:

But if you owned a house and had a mortgage, inflation made you richer.

This is utter rubbish. I need somewhere to live, if I sell this house it will cost me at least as much to buy somewhere else and then I would need to do it up to suit, which would cost huge sums.

When I die, this house will make my legatees richer, but I'm no richer now, in terms of housing, than my parents were when they were alive and they rented from a housing association. What has made me richer than my parents in my life is a better education than they had leading a to a better job and a better pension

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

This is utter rubbish. I need somewhere to live, if I sell this house it will cost me at least as much to buy somewhere else and then I would need to do it up to suit, which would cost huge sums.

The only people who benefit from housing costs going up are downsizers (and builders). For most of us it's of no more benefit than the price of food increasing.

I suppose there's possibly an exception if you're lucky enough to get a low rate long fixed term mortgage, inflation goes up, and your wages go up too, so in real terms the debt is inflated away but if that was the common model lending would be a cost to the lender and they'd all go bust.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Lantavian said:

Inflation diminishes the burden in real terms of your mortgage. 

Very much so.

I read an article about 40 years that basically said "Please God stop inflation, but not yet".

You need high inflation when you have a mortgage and low inflation when you are a pensioner.

People who are now around 80 probably have gained the greatest benefit. Although they might not have thought so when they were around 35.

Bernard

• Agree 3

Mortgages are inflationary.  Every measure to “assist” homebuyers pushes up the costs of housing.

The greater the “multiple”, the more apparent purchasing power and the higher the real price of property rises.  The only ones that really gain are the mortgage lenders, i.e. banks.

If there were no mortgages, property prices would fall - but there would need to be Government intervention to stop the super rich cornering the property market.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Mortgages are inflationary.  Every measure to “assist” homebuyers pushes up the costs of housing.

The greater the “multiple”, the more apparent purchasing power and the higher the real price of property rises.  The only ones that really gain are the mortgage lenders, i.e. banks.

If there were no mortgages, property prices would fall - but there would need to be Government intervention to stop the super rich cornering the property market.

If mortgages only pushed up prices, how did many people fall into negative equity during economic depressions.

It is the lack of housing not the type of housing that drove up prices, simply supply and demand not helped though I admit by a strong push on people to 'invest' property and then rent them out.

• Agree 1

Wonderful quote here from French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner talking about the 4,095 fines that have been handed out to folks ignoring the French lockdown ...

"Some people think they're some kind of modern-day hero when they break the rules - but they're imbeciles, and a danger to themselves."

Oh if only there was a way of getting that message through to the morons in this country who are still talking about nothing stopping them going out, lock-ins in the pubs and so on ...

• Agree 6