The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

12 minutes ago, jukebox said:

Our national airline may have all but stopped flying... but the good news they are still delivering booze to my front door!

Essential.jpg.73ac7384818a544665098fa4bd9a22cc.jpg

..and our mail service helpfully announces it's waiting for you when you get home from work, so you can build up a thirst!

Essential2.jpg.5667b3780d252d9b107699df0fd81392.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

According to the BBC, the list of "essential shops", which actually includes things like petrol stations and banks, includes one slightly strange one: "bicycle shops".

Is the thinking that they are essential to our health and well-being?

Seems totally logical to me. If your car or your motorcycle breaks down you can still get it fixed at a garage, so why would the same ruling not apply if you were unable to fix a problem with your bike?

I actually fix my own bike (and Mrs Spikey's) so I don't patronise the local bike shop, but as we no longer have a motor car, our bikes are certainly essential to our health and well-being.

Edited by spikey
typos
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NIK said:

Hi,

I've thought about this again and although DIY can be essential do the government and the police think it can only be travelled to only for essential repairs to ones main residence?.

Take care.

Nick

In France, where at noon today we will have been in lockdown for a week, police have checked the contents of shopping bags and criticised and fined those who have bought solely "non-essential items".  They have demanded to see till receipts - yes some will put a packets of rice in a shopping bag, leave home and think that gives them the right to go where they want - and failure to provide has resulted in fines.

First offence fine is €375, second offence €1500 -  around £325 and £1200 respectively.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, brian777999 said:

In Australia, bottle shops have been classified as ''essential to society'' and are to remain open. I was very surprised at this.  Is it the same in the UK ?

Hi,

I'm in the UK and I'm down to about a weeks worth of beer and not my favourites either. At least I haven't had to swap to spirits - there can be some nasty stuff left over from Christmas that nobody wanted to drink then. Don't know if UK 'bottle' shops are allowed to stay open - they've mainly been driven out of business by supermarkets here over the past decades.

I might actually be forced to do some railway modelling. I got sunburnt yesterday sitting in my UK garden - less jet trails in the sky etc - so stronger sun?. At least I managed to buy a hat.

I'm hoping the UK government will allow solitary fishing at lakes - but will there be restrictions on bait deliveries - only two maggots at a time and left on your doorstep without ringing the bell?:).

Take care.

Nick

6 hours ago, Titan said:

One of the concerns I have about the measures taken is the potential unintended consequences.  Whilst those of us on here are lucky that we have a good hobby to keep us sane,  there will be those that have or may lose their jobs, as well as businesses that will go under.  There will be many that will end up in severe financial stress, and stuck at home isolated could lead them feeling extremely bleak.

The current death due to suicide is somewhere around 6000 per year.   If that doubles or potentially even worse, the measures could end up costing more lives than they save, not to mention the extra beds required for treating the unsuccessful attempts...

Yes, Trump apparently is saying the same thing. There’s a referenced de-bunking here.

It appears the likelihood is that probable deaths from unchecked covid19 would be orders of magnitude higher than the likely increase in suicide rate. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Legend said:

The intent is clear .  Stay at home . 

Agreed, but what constitutes an exercise session is open to interpretation, if nothing else based on what we are used to doing. My "normal" walks vary from under an hour to about three depending on mood, weather and what else I have planned for the day. With the last likely to shrink somewhat, I could envisage maybe stretching that to four and taking a snack to consume half way as I won't be able to get anything whilst out.   

The important thing, is avoiding other people. I went for one of my customary shorter walks (only a couple of miles), mid-morning yesterday on a local seaside prom/cliff path, and encountered fewer than a dozen other people in the 45 minutes or so I was out. All separation was observed at least as specified, and in most cases rather more.  I went to the same place one day last week and there were so many people around, I didn't even get out of the car!   

I'm fortunate in living somewhere with a reasonably low population density but, if it does start to look crowded out there, it's light by 0600 right now and I can, if necessary, be out and home before most are up. 

However I deal with this, I shall be doing everything I can to avoid catching or spreading this virus. However, having re-read the above, I realise I've been doing all that I've described for the past three weeks anyway.

John

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Agreed, but what constitutes an exercise session is open to interpretation, if nothing else based on what we are used to doing. My "normal" walks vary from under an hour to about three depending on mood, weather and what else I have planned for the day. With the last likely to shrink somewhat, I could envisage maybe stretching that to four and taking a snack to consume half way as I won't be able to get anything whilst out.   

The important thing, is avoiding other people. I went for one of my customary shorter walks (only a couple of miles), mid-morning yesterday on a local seaside prom/cliff path, and encountered fewer than a dozen other people in the 45 minutes or so I was out. All separation was observed at least as specified, and in most cases rather more.  I went to the same place one day last week and there were so many people around, I didn't even get out of the car!   

I'm fortunate in living somewhere with a reasonably low population density but, if it does start to look crowded out there, it's light by 0600 right now and I can, if necessary, be out and home before most are up. 

However I deal with this, I shall be doing everything I can to avoid catching or spreading this virus. However, having re-read the above, I realise I've been doing all that I've described for the past three weeks anyway.

John

It does look as though you are stretching the definition of exercise to suit yourself and are not fully behind the spirit of what we are expected to do. If everyone does likewise we get into the situation at the weekend which has precipitated the lockdown. We should be minimising our exposure to risk and our contact with the world outside our homes to the bare minimum to slow the spread of the virus.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

I filled my cars fuel tank earlier this week.   Waiting to pay, the woman in front of me had a coughing fit, no doubt her germs spreading all over the counter, the payment machine and the staff.  

No matter how sensible and careful you might be, you have to also remember that many others around you are looking after their own interests rather than yours. 

That is where the risk lies, and you can’t control it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Its a tricky one . Actually its really not . I was out on Sunday for a drive. I did it responsibly and was in contact with no one . But I won't do it now . I understand what people are saying that you can go for a walk for three hours and Social Distance and indeed that might be alright .   And while folk are analysing everything said by the PM for loop holes I think they are missing the essential point . To avoid this virus spreading stay at home . Yes you can go to shops for food and medicine , but as infrequently as possible   and yes you can go out once a day , but I really doubt that that means stay out for hours.

Surely we can apply common sense or does the Govt really need to spell it out in the minutae of detail . Walks of 10 mins ok , 11 mins not . Really come on guys invoke the spirit of what was said . Wherever possible stay at home

Edited by Legend
  • Like 5
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Legend said:

Its a tricky one . I was out on Sunday for a drive. I did it responsibly and was in contact with no one . But I won't do it now . I understand what people are saying that you can go for a walk for three hours and Social Distance and indeed that might be alright .   And while folk are analysing everything said by the PM for loop holes I think they are missing the essential point . To avoid this virus spreading stay at home . Yes you can go to shops for food and medicine , but as infrequently as possible   and yes you can go out once a day , but I really doubt that that means stay out for hours.

Theres an indirect benefit of compliance - fewer car traffic accidents, sporting injuries etc - all reduce the other demands on the NHS and emergency services.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

and......

I'm all for liberty but how can we control the online gambling sites - financial ruin beckons for some I expect..Online adverts keep popping up - I've never been on one in my life...

• Agree 4

27 minutes ago, Chamby said:

I filled my cars fuel tank earlier this week.   Waiting to pay, the woman in front of me had a coughing fit, no doubt her germs spreading all over the counter, the payment machine and the staff.  

I am using the "pay at pump" option and wiping my hands with anti-bacterial wipes after touching the nozzle and keypad.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, NIK said:

Hi,

I've thought about this again and although DIY can be essential do the government and the police think it can only be travelled to only for essential repairs to ones main residence?.

Take care.

Nick

You just know there will be queues there this weekend as people rush out to garden centres to buy essential pansies for their front border. I'm really surprised . To me essential shops are food, chemists, petrol stations , banks and post offices . Not DIY , Bike Shops  etc . Seems strange . I'll bet we get further clarification shortly.

TV advertising seems strange these last few days. Advertisers must have pre booked and paid for slots so adverts are still appearing even though you can't do anything. Lovely one this morning advertising golf trips here and abroad...

You'll have a job with courses closed in the UK and borders closed in Europe.

All I need now is the girl from Trivago.....:D

Good luck with that one, love.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm due to give blood on Friday, I'm guessing that service is still active even though you get within 2M of the nurse.

I'll check.

Edit -  Yes it is

https://www.blood.co.uk/news-and-campaigns/news-and-statements/coronavirus-covid-19-updates/

They state they're taking less donations so might be knocking out appointments, I'm an O neg* so usually required to give.

* O neg is universal donor, anyone can have my blood.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Friendly/supportive 2

28 minutes ago, Legend said:

Not DIY , Bike Shops 

I thought that initially, but if you get a blocked drain, a leaking pipe etc, you need the DIY shop and, as others have pointed out, bikes are an essential/prime means of transport for some.

i was very dim on the latter point, given that unless it is freezing or pouring, I cycle everywhere! Maybe it’s cos I keep spares tubes etc ‘in stock’.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I'm due to give blood on Friday, I'm guessing that service is still active even though you get within 2M of the nurse.

I'll check.

Edit -  Yes it is

https://www.blood.co.uk/news-and-campaigns/news-and-statements/coronavirus-covid-19-updates/

They state they're taking less donations so might be knocking out appointments, I'm an O neg* so usually required to give.

* O neg is universal donor, anyone can have my blood.

Hi,

I'm not allowed within a 100 metres of a nurse:).

Crispy bacon flavoured O neg - Dracula was unborn in the wrong century.

The 2m rule is for situations where there is no effective PPE and no cleaning available?.

They might need to take more blood donations if people do more DIY, tidy the loft or get on a bicycle for the first time in years.

Good luck with your donation and make sure you get your tea and biscuit.

Regards

Nick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, gordon s said:

TV advertising seems strange these last few days. Advertisers must have pre booked and paid for slots so adverts are still appearing even though you can't do anything. Lovely one this morning advertising golf trips here and abroad...

Pop down to your nearest XXX car dealer for a test drive.................;)

• RMweb Gold

For me, a "walk" generally means at least 45 minutes. Ten or eleven is barely worth putting ones shoes on for. Some might regard my average as extensive, but others will consider it no more than a gentle warm-up!

There's also the shopping thing. A nearby 86-year-old has to have his paper/fresh produce daily (he just got back from this morning's trip). No idea what he's thinking, or if he even is....

My own routine has been pretty close to what's being asked for the past quarter century. I never food shop more than twice in a week, and usually only once. Fresh veg and fruit will last most of a week in the fridge and I can do with frozen for a couple of days before my next shop. As a singleton, I mainly get meat/fish in frozen packs. Cooking individual portions from scratch is expensive and wasteful; a small piece of beef  becomes miniscule when roasted. Bread and rolls go in the freezer, defrosted or toasted as required, remaining crusts consumed with a can of soup or baked beans. I can't remember the last time I threw any of either away.    

John

• Like 1