Coaling Tower - Limited Edition. R9640

Bob Reid

• RMweb Premium

Picked one up yesterday at Derby show. A very nice piece of kit. Anyone who was following my thread on the last RMweb will know that I was building a Superquick one. That project is now dead with the purchase of this..............

post-7289-127404736284_thumb.jpg

A couple of quick shots taken on the kitchen table

post-7289-127404737717_thumb.jpg

with only 600 being made. they will be as rare as rocking horse manure!!!!

Just collected mine from my neighbour. Haven't even untied the string. I wouldn't think that adding the rails for the coal hoist will be that difficult looking at the photo's.

Okay. Just opened it up and.......................................

The bottom steps are broken off and the handrail twisted. To me it looks like it was just thrown in the box and the polystyrene pushed on. Hatton's have none left and can only offer a refund. I have contacted Hornby and am awaiting their reply as I type this.

sdc10105x.jpg

Obviously I am more than a little dissapointed, but there is some good news. I have just received a call from Hatton's and they have spoken to Hornby themselves. There will be more later in the year and I have been put to the top of the waiting list for these. So after a couple of quick photo's I will repack and return it. It may have been repairable, but as I didnt want it for the present layout but the next one, I don't mind a wait.

A couple of photo's I took with loco's underneath shows the size of the structure.

sdc10109o.jpg

sdc10108tb.jpg

All we need is for someone like PHDesigns to come up with the actual hoist and we are away.

I also noted that one of the legs on was a bit skew-whiff. Have others had this ?

I just got mine today, quite pleased with it.

Although, even though it is a limited edition, I have no card or certificate to say it is, and what number mine is. Should the tower come with such, or am I meant to be left in the dark about what number of the 600 (not Tennyson's Light Brigade poem!) mine is?

I just got mine today, quite pleased with it.

Although, even though it is a limited edition, I have no card or certificate to say it is, and what number mine is. Should the tower come with such, or am I meant to be left in the dark about what number of the 600 (not Tennyson's Light Brigade poem!) mine is?

I understand from Hatton's that more will be made, but only to enough cover those pre-orders that failed to get one.

I understand from Hatton's that more will be made, but only to enough cover those pre-orders that failed to get one.

Thanks, but I ordered mine from OnTracks, as Hattons had already sold out of them when I pre-ordered it in February.

My colleague received his today and had the same faults noted by JZ... and yes, one of the legs was "twisted". A full refund has been offerred and is being taken. Unfortunately, I don't think that their quality control is as good as it should be.

No idea of the price difference?? The Bachmann version at Ally Pally was a much finer and better made version (in my opinion)

The Bachmann one is a scale model of Carnforth whereas Hornby have gone for the generic shrunk approach. Hornby £45~ whereas I think the Bachmann one was estimated at around £70-80. £85 on Antics.

The Bachmann one is a scale model of Carnforth whereas Hornby have gone for the generic shrunk approach. Hornby £45~ whereas I think the Bachmann one was estimated at around £70-80. £85 on Antics.

Bachmann went for the scale version? - It doesn't exist (unless of course it's scale unobtanium).......laugh.gif

Well mine arrived today (Hornby version) and I must say i'm very pleased with it. I only ordered it on Sat and got it today. No twists or damage . I had considered the Bachmann version but 2 things in the Hornby favor. The Hornby is more LNER looking and also only a one road which will suit my 4 road shed better.

Regards Dave

Um, what are you on about? Bachmann are doing a 4mm scale model of the Carnforth coaler followed by the ash hopper.

Neither of which is actually available to the public (due 2nd Quarter - July/Aug) therefore it's hardly fair to draw any value for money comparison at this stage - other than the the fact that it's considerably more expensive. It may well at face value be more detailed at that price however it would appear that around 600 folk were not bothered enough to cancel their orders for the less detailed Hornby version. It's just my opinion Craig, you can choose whatever coaling tower suits you.

Neither of which is actually available to the public (due 2nd Quarter - July/Aug) therefore it's hardly fair to draw any value for money comparison at this stage - other than the the fact that it's considerably more expensive. It may well at face value be more detailed at that price however it would appear that around 600 folk were not bothered enough to cancel their orders for the less detailed Hornby version. It's just my opinion Craig, you can choose whatever coaling tower suits you.

I haven't given any opinions or comparisons. The Bachmann one is definitely a model of Carnforth (whether it turned out to be an excellent one can wait) from their own press release and the prices given are also facts. We know the Hornby one isn't a model of a particular one so I just compared approaches there.

I'm certainly not anticipating the Bachmann one disappearing off down a black hole anytime soon as you seemed to suggest instead of appearing on shelves.

Craig,

My original comment;

Bachmann went for the scale version? - It doesn't exist (unless of course it's scale unobtanium).......laugh.gif

was only intended as a light hearted punt at the Bachmann "scale" comment (it's so scale it doesn't actually exist- at this time, which I'm afraid is a fact) you've clearly misread it as something else. I apologise if that's not how you see it. That wasn't the intention, nor did I expect or am I looking for a war of words over it.

• RMweb Premium

Well mine arrived today (Hornby version) and I must say i'm very pleased with it. I only ordered it on Sat and got it today. No twists or damage . I had considered the Bachmann version but 2 things in the Hornby favor. The Hornby is more LNER looking and also only a one road which will suit my 4 road shed better.

Regards Dave

Mine is fine too. I went for the Hornby one for the same reason's as I model BR Eastern Region. The Bachmann one being two road and I have limited space. My understanding was the Hornby one was loosely based on Immingham. But I may be wrong.

According to the Bachmann Collector's Club magazine, Bachmann had exclusive access to Carnforth to get some pictures, drawings, measurements etc, and they have posted a series of images in the magazine, it certainly looks like an exact replica of the Carnforth tower, even down to the two large black streaks of coal residue down the centre. They claim each one is either hand painted, or has hand painted detail, so each one might be slightly different.

However, it does look the part, but I went for the Honrby one because, as already mentioned, is one road, and is far cheaper!

Archived