Coaling Tower - Limited Edition. R9640

Bob Reid

I got mine from MZ MK, not a bad price!

Whilst this needs a fair bit of detailing, this bears more than a passing resemblance to the tower from Normanton (illustrated in an old Ian Allan book - Steam Motive Power Depots - E.S Beavor 1983).

In fact at this location the wagon lift rails are a lot steeper than that of the model, although this could easily be modified. Otherwise this appears roughly 'to scale'.

Can't find any web images to link to, perhaps another contributor can help!

N

Searching without beer goggles found the following:

http://www.railpictu...o.php?id=240283

http://www.flickr.co...@N02/3420349733

http://www.flickr.co...N06/3507981482/

Not great pics of the tower, but with the exception of the ladder to the upper level of the tower, I think it is similar to the Skaledale effort. Then again, it also looks like Carnforth - perhaps a 'standard' design.

N

Guest Max Stafford

87029 had one lurking in the corner in his emporium of models and ropey puns yesterday.

Dave.

I got mine today, and unfortunately, the stairs have been snapped off. It is pretty obvious that the packer just shoved it in the box, and it caught the polystyrene. The shop I bought it from has none left, so they advised that I phoned Hornby which I duly did. They informed me that they had to refer it to their marketing department, and would call me back today.

They didn't!

has anyone else had any luck via Hornby at all?

Thanks

Mark

The problem with legs and stairs breaking is, I think, due to the plastic bag. When the coaling tower is in the bag and placed in the polystyrene tray, the plastic bag gets caught and tightens up with the weight of the coaling tower causing the steps or the legs to break.

I know this from my own experience as I checked it in the shop and everything was fine but I had a bit of a problem getting it back in because of the bag and when I got home the rear steps were broken. A bit of super glue soon fixed it thought. If you are going to store it in the original packaging be careful when placing it in the tray.

Roddy

Interestingly, this one only had the bag halfway down!

Hornby did in fact call back yesterday and left a message.

I spoke to them today, and basically, their marketing Department deny that there is a problem, and that I should return the product to the shop from where it was purchased.

Personally I think that this represents very poor Customer Services, which surprises me, as Hornby have always been very good.

I now have a dilemma, either send it back and try to get another one from elsewhere, or I accept it, and repair it.

Poor show Hornby.

Regards

Mark

Interestingly, this one only had the bag halfway down!

Hornby did in fact call back yesterday and left a message.

I spoke to them today, and basically, their marketing Department deny that there is a problem, and that I should return the product to the shop from where it was purchased.

Personally I think that this represents very poor Customer Services, which surprises me, as Hornby have always been very good.

I now have a dilemma, either send it back and try to get another one from elsewhere, or I accept it, and repair it.

Poor show Hornby.

Regards

Mark

I think you are being a little too hard on Hornby and letting the shop you bought it from off the hook. The retailer is responsible for his side of the contract, which is to let you have a product that is fit for purpose. The manufacturer might, or might not, take a direct interest but your contract is with the shop. If the shop cannot get any more then you are entitled to your money back. You can also get one else where and try to claim expenses from the shop if they failed to honour the contract. This situation can be a bit of a problem with limited editions but the choice is up to you as to how you handle it. It's hardly Hornby's fault that they have produced a much in demand item.

Bernard

I appreciate the fact that the contract is with the shop, and to be fair to them, they are not refusing to refund my money. The issue is that they cannot simply replace it. I am sure that Hornby could.

Mark

With what?

If there are none left, there are none left. If Hornby had any, they'd have been sent to a shop to be sold.

• RMweb Premium

Compared to the resin model that has to be constructed (supplier eludes me for now) and the forthcoming Bachmann model the Hornby model is cheap (around the half price), but that is not an excuse for models arriving with bits broken off. I know they are slightly different models but the Bachmann model looks to be a very fine moulding compared to the Hornby model. I am sure someone will eventually put the three models (including maybe the card kit) together for comparison. You pays yer money etc.0

• 3 weeks later...

I was over in the Ian Allan bookshop in Cardiff last week and they had one there. And yesterday I had notification from Hatton's that a replacement for mine had been sourced.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow's newsletter emailed today advised they had a very few and further that the are now sold out at Hornby so no more are coming. It appears from the now-blank page that those few have also now found homes.

No commercial connection.

My replacement arrived at 8am today. A quick examination shows all is well. And the wonky leg that I have noticed on others is nice and straight. Now to put it back in the box until needed.

• 1 month later...

Some more of these have appeared in shops but the box does not have dimensions. Can anyone give an indication of the footprint, please, ie the size of the area it covers? I think it will be too big for my layout but would like to check.

Thanks.

EDIT - found dimensions on Hornby's site and it is too big! Modelzone Holborn had at least four in stock today.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mine arrived today. I ordered it yesterday morning 17/10/10 and it arrived today at lunchtime. Excellent service from Duncans Model Railways and only £2 postage.

As of this evening they still have two left at £49.99. I have no connection with the shop other than as a very satisfied customer.

It is quite an impressive structure. When I am ready to plant it I will see what I can do to make a representation of the wagon rails and associated steelwork.

Well done Hornby.

Archived