Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

I was volunteering this weekend so I didn’t get the chance for any modelling. I’ve been in the attic this morning and found that two sections of the recent extension have suffered the effects of heat in the attic. My own fault as I can’t have left expansion gaps between the sections of flexi. The Mallaig section is absolutely fine and even in last summer’s extreme heat has given me no issues. I always open the velux windows as soon as the heat starts to build up. I have unpinned the extension and allowed for a larger gap, pinned back down and tested and all is good again.

9F05D550-67AF-4249-9726-BDCC7DE8704D.jpeg.e8522326b4053b072f58487d1b7cdbdd.jpeg

AAA189BA-F5C4-4E1D-B633-DEBC37D7F104.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy, I’ve just had an interesting half hour flicking through your layout.

Fascinating to see all the BR Blue locos and Mk 2 stock at Mallaig.

I’m pretty sure by the time I got up there, the service stock was all 156 units, apart from the Jacobite service of course.

I guess the class 37 locos that I photographed would also all have been different, with different sector liveries in evidence.

The photos of your volunteering turns at the Welsh Highland line were also interesting, are you a driver? It’s a line I’ve never been on.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to the next updates.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Neal, always nice to welcome a new visitor and I’m glad you enjoyed my waffle. 

No I’m not a driver at WHHR. I was Carriage and Wagon foreman for a number of years a few years ago but more recently have been lending a hand to the loco dept as they prepare for the WHR100 gala. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi there. A bit of a belated reply to the Bachmann snowploughs, but the Bachmann-Spares website have had them fairly recently. I’ve not checked but had plenty when I ordered some. Certainly more use than the new ones as I’m sure a majority of users will have some sort of coupling in the NEM slot.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

My second 027 is finally en route , hopefully I won't have any issues with it , the first one has been fantastic , gotta sound fit this one myself though but it's not like it's a difficult job :)

No I was watching John JMC doing it on YouTube last night. They’re lovely models arnt they?

1 minute ago, mallaig1983 said:

No I was watching John JMC doing it on YouTube last night. They’re lovely models arnt they?

Certainly are , just a shame I couldn't get an Inverness one but I'm sure they will be along at some point

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sulzer71 said:

Certainly are , just a shame I couldn't get an Inverness one but I'm sure they will be along at some point

Oh I’m sure they will 😀👍

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

@03060 made a comment back in November questioning whether my modelling patience would stand an attempt to replicate the large quantity of plastic fish boxes that were stored in the compound behind the screen wall. I had been pondering how to do this but when Ian posted that I decided to rise to the challenge and see what could really be done. @young37215 got in touch saying he was wondering the same so during a chat over a cup of tea at Warley we decided to investigate to see if someone could cast or print them. I’d used Anyscale models before for various bits of fishing gear, nets etc and when I contacted Stuart he was very keen to help as he’d planned on making the plastic type boxes and this was his excuse to add them to his range. A very favourable price was agreed and a joint order with Rob at WHL4 was placed for 200 each. Now I was thinking that 200 would leave a few left over but once tipped into position doesn’t look that many. However I have seen photos of this pile of boxes being at various different heights so I may just stick with this amount as it does represent the stash that was stored there, bearing in mind that they probably came and went constantly throughout the fishing. Other ideas is to make a hump of some type underneath then to make it look like there are more or I could just order more. We shall see.

3DE0038E-B198-4EB7-B7A0-A01E91BF4487.jpeg.9478ea7283e866319e2a3b9412382263.jpeg

58F996EC-BAEE-41B3-BE13-FA004E41E647.jpeg.a34635f6c4ba3dc314f3b01ebdd50055.jpeg

554F45F5-B397-4705-B374-681B068186D4.jpeg.c7af540294ea5a5f32294ebb241ce345.jpeg

Congratulations to both Rob @young37215 and yourself, Andy, for getting together and arriving at such a convincing solution .... they certainly 'fit the bill' and I think that it's very brave of you both to model such an unruly and messy pile of boxes and tackle, especially when you've both gone to great lengths to produce superbly nice models of what I always find quite a 'romantic' setting .... until you're stood there shivering on the platform in the cold wind and rain .... and realise that the chip shop is shut !!

Great work.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Activity on the layout has been somewhat laboured recently. Having completed the station building some time ago I thought the natural progression would be to do the 4 blocks of flats known as the ‘Railway Buildings’. But I’m struggling with the first one somewhat. It just doesn’t seem to be coming along as I’d hoped. The bay windows are harder than I hoped they would be. Also the electrics from where the platform starts to the buffer stop (including the loop) has an intermittent fault where it randomly becomes dead. The arrival of the Accurascale 37s and the fish boxes got the motivation back but that came at the same time as the Welsh Highland Railway centenary gala (WHR100) which promised to be something rather special. Last weekend I spent 3 days at the gala and it did not disappoint. I then spent last week watching countless YouTube videos to relive it. 20 years ago I had pushed hard for the Heritage Train project and led a team to see it to fruition so it was absolutely wonderful to ride in carriages that we’d built or I’d overseen a build by contractors. I can claim no credit for the wonderful replica Pickering brake composite though as that is much more recent.

So this weekend it was time to get back on the layout. Saturday ended up being busy with other things but Sunday was productive. The loco release point behind the storm wall was proving problematic to the Accurascale 37s with them refusing point blank to stay on the track when entering the loop. This proved to be down to some shoddy ballasting derailing the loco so this was dealt with fairly easily. A point on the crossover wasn’t throwing, this was found to be due to the fulcrum on the DCC concepts motor having slipped. Easy fix to slide back up and a little glue to hold.

I soaked the ballast at the north end of the loop and took a section of the track out as it has bothered me that I never fitted a catch point here. When running round this is the point where the loco waits for the second man to reset the points and lock the ground frame and I thought it would look much better to if the catch point was actually in place rather than imagining it.

A5FB72B8-328B-4F18-980C-E79B64D051BA.jpeg.6e650c917744d623bbf0709277007d2c.jpeg

I am awaiting some code 75 rail joiners to progress this as I want it in place properly before drilling a hole for the point motor etc.

I also fitted the ploughs and plates to 37027 which adds further to this lovely model.

E91188DA-7DCC-4D08-B24F-B13A786752BF.jpeg.9576c2da46ea6a9e6a399cd602210c73.jpeg

D3FE7EA5-2B18-4B9B-B3B8-4AFF90B396FA.jpeg.74779981a355c8bdb30492e57f787d09.jpeg

78A36AD1-9B71-400D-BF4A-AD0C8E7F3D1B.jpeg.87d71373759e0862aaefbe223d505bc7.jpeg

I also spent time trimming the flash off the new fish boxes. Next up will be a re-wire of the power bus. I have a good amount of household lighting circuit cable that I intend to strip the two wires out and then solder the droppers to. This will replace the rats nest of smaller cables all joined using choc block screw connectors. I was never really happy with it but it worked so I left it alone.

So I’m now back in the swing of things and have decided to next build the signal box and signalman’s bungalow. Hopefully the scratch building confidence will return and I will get back to tackling the Railway Building again (or maybe seek someone to do a commission). So there we are for now, hopefully more regular updates from now on in.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Like you, my mojo comes and goes too.  Other interests take precedence at times as well, nothing wrong with that at all. Just enjoy it all.  I’m sure your modelling mojo  will return - and anyone who can produce superb concrete and as good a slipway and coast as you have should be able to get to grips with the buildings when you are ready.

… and yes, bay windows can be a bit of a bu$$er.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Also the electrics from where the platform starts to the buffer stop (including the loop) has an intermittent fault where it randomly becomes dead.

There’s nothing more frustrating than intermittent running. Have you sorted this yet? I’ve found a continuity tester to be invaluable (most cheap electrical meters have one). I also soldered a feed wire to every rail - time consuming but worth it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 61656 said:

There’s nothing more frustrating than intermittent running. Have you sorted this yet? I’ve found a continuity tester to be invaluable (most cheap electrical meters have one). I also soldered a feed wire to every rail - time consuming but worth it. 

No I havn't sorted it yet Andy. It really is very intermittent. I thought i'd dorted it a couple of weeks ago when i undid everyting in one of the choc blocks, retwisted the wires and re-assembled and it ran fine. Each and every rail has a dropper on it and I assume (perhaps wrongly) that they all work as they should. I will be making a start on it this week so hopefully the new bus will be operational over the next few days. Unfortunately the attic is a long way from the front door and I have parcel deliveries due hopefully tomorrow so i'll have to wait for those first but I can still tin cables at the table so progress should start. I will dig out my electrical meter and see what it has.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoD said:

Like you, my mojo comes and goes too.  Other interests take precedence at times as well, nothing wrong with that at all. Just enjoy it all.  I’m sure your modelling mojo  will return - and anyone who can produce superb concrete and as good a slipway and coast as you have should be able to get to grips with the buildings when you are ready.

… and yes, bay windows can be a bit of a bu$$er.

Thanks for the kind words Warren. I'm sure we'll be back on track shortly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

No I havn't sorted it yet Andy. It really is very intermittent. I thought i'd dorted it a couple of weeks ago when i undid everyting in one of the choc blocks, retwisted the wires and re-assembled and it ran fine. Each and every rail has a dropper on it and I assume (perhaps wrongly) that they all work as they should. I will be making a start on it this week so hopefully the new bus will be operational over the next few days. Unfortunately the attic is a long way from the front door and I have parcel deliveries due hopefully tomorrow so i'll have to wait for those first but I can still tin cables at the table so progress should start. I will dig out my electrical meter and see what it has.

A continuity test, rail to rail, can be really revealing. Nearly all my locos are two bogies pick up and just occasionally the 08 will venture out and find a dead spot. 

Screw terminals on very thin wires can be unreliable, and they are prone to poor contact caused by vibration (heavy type 3s). Tinned wires in the terminal will help. 

As for mojo, it’s supposed to be a hobby, not a penance! I find the visit of a friend usually guilts me into action…

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 61656 said:

A continuity test, rail to rail, can be really revealing. Nearly all my locos are two bogies pick up and just occasionally the 08 will venture out and find a dead spot. 

Screw terminals on very thin wires can be unreliable, and they are prone to poor contact caused by vibration (heavy type 3s). Tinned wires in the terminal will help. 

As for mojo, it’s supposed to be a hobby, not a penance! I find the visit of a friend usually guilts me into action…

The mojo hasn’t exactly gone, it’s more a frustration with the scratch build I’m attempting. I’ll put it down and do something else for now. 

Thanks for the hints and tips regarding the wiring. This morning I’ve stripped some cable back in readiness. Also finished tidying the flash off the fish boxes while waiting for a parcel that hasn’t yet arrived.

stunning work on your 304 by the way. Looks fantastic.

• Thanks 1

On 03/07/2023 at 12:16, mallaig1983 said:

Activity on the layout has been somewhat laboured recently. Having completed the station building some time ago I thought the natural progression would be to do the 4 blocks of flats known as the ‘Railway Buildings’. But I’m struggling with the first one somewhat. It just doesn’t seem to be coming along as I’d hoped. The bay windows are harder than I hoped they would be. Also the electrics from where the platform starts to the buffer stop (including the loop) has an intermittent fault where it randomly becomes dead. The arrival of the Accurascale 37s and the fish boxes got the motivation back but that came at the same time as the Welsh Highland Railway centenary gala (WHR100) which promised to be something rather special. Last weekend I spent 3 days at the gala and it did not disappoint. I then spent last week watching countless YouTube videos to relive it. 20 years ago I had pushed hard for the Heritage Train project and led a team to see it to fruition so it was absolutely wonderful to ride in carriages that we’d built or I’d overseen a build by contractors. I can claim no credit for the wonderful replica Pickering brake composite though as that is much more recent.

So this weekend it was time to get back on the layout. Saturday ended up being busy with other things but Sunday was productive. The loco release point behind the storm wall was proving problematic to the Accurascale 37s with them refusing point blank to stay on the track when entering the loop. This proved to be down to some shoddy ballasting derailing the loco so this was dealt with fairly easily. A point on the crossover wasn’t throwing, this was found to be due to the fulcrum on the DCC concepts motor having slipped. Easy fix to slide back up and a little glue to hold.

I soaked the ballast at the north end of the loop and took a section of the track out as it has bothered me that I never fitted a catch point here. When running round this is the point where the loco waits for the second man to reset the points and lock the ground frame and I thought it would look much better to if the catch point was actually in place rather than imagining it.

A5FB72B8-328B-4F18-980C-E79B64D051BA.jpeg.6e650c917744d623bbf0709277007d2c.jpeg

I am awaiting some code 75 rail joiners to progress this as I want it in place properly before drilling a hole for the point motor etc.

I also fitted the ploughs and plates to 37027 which adds further to this lovely model.

E91188DA-7DCC-4D08-B24F-B13A786752BF.jpeg.9576c2da46ea6a9e6a399cd602210c73.jpeg

D3FE7EA5-2B18-4B9B-B3B8-4AFF90B396FA.jpeg.74779981a355c8bdb30492e57f787d09.jpeg

78A36AD1-9B71-400D-BF4A-AD0C8E7F3D1B.jpeg.87d71373759e0862aaefbe223d505bc7.jpeg

I also spent time trimming the flash off the new fish boxes. Next up will be a re-wire of the power bus. I have a good amount of household lighting circuit cable that I intend to strip the two wires out and then solder the droppers to. This will replace the rats nest of smaller cables all joined using choc block screw connectors. I was never really happy with it but it worked so I left it alone.

So I’m now back in the swing of things and have decided to next build the signal box and signalman’s bungalow. Hopefully the scratch building confidence will return and I will get back to tackling the Railway Building again (or maybe seek someone to do a commission). So there we are for now, hopefully more regular updates from now on in.

The accurascale / model u crew are an excellent compliment to these models too. 

Nice to see a trap point being modelled . I wanted to add them but the spacing of the sleepers is wrong compared to my SMP track where I moved the sleepers slightly further apart. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meanach said:

The accurascale / model u crew are an excellent compliment to these models too. 

Nice to see a trap point being modelled . I wanted to add them but the spacing of the sleepers is wrong compared to my SMP track where I moved the sleepers slightly further apart. 

Ian, I have moved the sleepers that can be moved so hopefully once they are painted and ballasted won’t be to noticeable. I’ve also bent the unit into a very slight curve as to have laid it in the straight section would have contradicted the prototype. Fingers crossed it will be a success. 

• Like 1

Looks “right” now a catch point has been fitted on the loop. The 1st of my Accurascale 37’s arriving (just waiting on 043) has got the mojo going again so hoping to make a start on my West Highland project soon. Gutted I missed the WHR 100 event. Made to feel even worse after seeing the videos online. Looked like a great event. The heritage coaches look fantastic. I will get round to visiting one day!!
Cheers. 
Bill.   

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’d been looking forward to a weekend working on the layout this weekend. The postman had brought nice things during the week so the stage was set for an enthusiastic couple of days in the attic. 
this morning I made a fairly early start putting in a new bus wire. I undid the first half of the old choc blocs and tinned the wires. It’s not a lot of fun working upside down or sitting under the baseboards in a tunnel behind the units that the layout sits on at the front. However I just got on with the task in hand, reminding myself just how much I hate soldering. I got half way along the layout and decided to make a cup of tea and test what I’d already done. No difference, the platform line was still dead. So to me that shows that the droppers on that section were poorly soldered in the first place. I adjusted the rail joiners with a pair of pliers, just back and forth and that section burst into life again which tells me that unbeknownst to me I had been relying on the joiners for connectivity since day 1. Disappointed I decided to cheer myself up and play with the new Accurascale 37s for a while. I then decided to give each loco a run along the layout. All of a sudden one 37178 which had had her run suddenly decided to restart her engine of her own accord just before the system shut down with a short circuit. I took all locomotives off the layout and turned the dcc back on and it just stated ‘overload’ and made a worrying noise. The controller works fine with the layout plug pulled out so it’s not that. So I have discovered that it wasn’t the bus at fault but probably piss poor soldering where the droppers are soldered to the rails and and after a few hours graft it is now worse than it was before. We’ll probably as bad as it can be as it’s currently unusable. I tried to calm down by fitting the catch point but that didn’t even go well so with my temper rising I did the most sensible thing and walked away from it. 
Not the update I was hoping to give tonight sadly.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

I use an Antex 18w iron and it does all the electronic/electrical soldering that I need.  However, there is a caveat, I don’t  solder directly to rail.  I am using hand built trackwork so I can solder wires to the copperclad sleepers, which I’m sure must be easier than soldering directly to rail.

Soldering iron aside there are other good practices that increase chances of a good solder joint.  Forgive me if you are already aware of these.  I use a flux paste even if the solder itself has a flux core. It ensures that the area to be soldered is clean and receptive.  Lightly coat the component before tinning.  It needs a thorough clean afterwards though.  I always ‘tin’ both items to be soldered i.e. give them both a light coat of solder separately.  With tinned components and a very small blob of solder on the tip of the iron a joint can often be achieved without any additional solder.  Make sure that the joint is well heated - the solder should turn silver and liquid.  Remove the soldering iron once this occurs to avoid overheating.  Hold the joint still until the solder solidifies - and then for a few seconds more.

If you do need to apply extra solder make sure the tip of the iron is clean and tinned - ie has a light coating of solder - it should look silver not dull copper.  Heat the work then apply the solder (obviously using your third hand to do this, lol).  In and out as quickly as you can whilst getting hot enough for the solder to melt and flow on the joint.

Practice away from the layout until you are confident.

Incidentally I also use the copperclad sleepers when soldering to lengths of flexitrack with plastic sleepers.  I replace one of the plastic sleepers with a copperclad one. It makes getting a good joint to the rail so much easier.  I have some spare copperclad strip.  If you want to give it a try PM me and I will pop some in the post.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1