RMweb

Self isolation support group

Neil
Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2020 at 12:49, Joseph_Pestell said:

Let's start panic buying of bidets from Victorian Plumbing.

I went to in local M&S.  Shelves all well stocked today.

Walked through B&M who have quite a bit of stock except toilet rolls and Flash wipes, but strangely also the shelf of diahhroea tablets was completely empty.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Please don't bulk buy as it could be a life safer for some of us....

https://www.rapidonline.com/servisol-6200005000-ipa-170-isopropyl-alcohol-1-litre-tin-non-aerosol-87-1082

Yesterday evening they didn't have any in stock at all and it doesn't have any in stock now

EDIT 4 weeks lead time for new stock

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Yesterday evening they didn't have any in stock at all and it doesn't have any in stock now

EDIT 4 weeks lead time for new stock

Staggered. I thought it may go quickly, but thought you'd be OK. There was over 60 when I posted.....:mellow:

I hope that's not one person bulk buying to sell on eBay.

Try this one....

https://www.somersetsolders.com/qualitek-ipa-solution-1-litre/p357?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi63spJCk6AIVTbDtCh3PlQcEEAQYAiABEgJUN_D_BwE

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Viruses like sugar as a fuel to feed and thrive. Getting your blood sugar levels down and producing ketones helps.

Check your facts before posting

It is the opposite to what these medical sites say:

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2016/09/13/feed-a-virus-starve-a-bacterium/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2105986-what-you-eat-when-youre-sick-may-determine-if-youll-get-better/

Both say reducing sugar intake is better during a bacterial infection and increasing it during a viral infection.

BTW this should be in the Coronavirus thread not the self isolating thread

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

OK, that's enough for me.  I thought this thread was a great idea, but seeing as it's now segued into an extension of the CV and the panic buying threads with added dodgy medical advice, I'm out of it for the time being.

Carry on chaps :)

Edited by spikey
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, melmerby said:

...... BTW this should be in the Coronavirus thread not the self isolating thread

Thanks Melmerby for the reminder. Although there will inevitably be some crossover we're primarily here as an outlet for worries and to buoy each other up through difficult time. There's no problem at all with signposting to other sources of information but it would be a shame to get bogged down in the details of home hand sanitising or bog roll shortages.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Which brings us back to this .

pepper.jpg

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Some good news at last. 

The Eurovision Song Contest has been cancelled. 

(This is sarcasm by the way). 

Every cloud had it's silver lining.

Perhaps we should start a new thread

Coronavirus Silver Linings

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Both say reducing sugar intake is better during a bacterial infection and increasing it during a viral infection.

What do you know about immunity enhancing capsules?

Look totally dodgy to me ... Oxford son has sent us a big pack. We are supposed to take 4 a day - Blackcurrant flavour !

(Did I mention before? We are both well down in our eighties, active, but well into immunotherapy for liver cancer. 

Being realistic,  I wouldn't triage either of us a respirator, no matter how "well presented" (in medical parlance)  we tried to act. 

dh 

14 minutes ago, rab said:

Every cloud had it's silver lining.

Perhaps we should start a new thread

Coronavirus Silver Linings

Yes, possibly. 

My breathing has improved over the last few days. Coincidence, or maybe due to a lowering of air pollution levels?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I have 13 days to go before I reach the ' lock in ' time if they insist on it being  the over 70's .

But as one of the many with ongoing health issues , COPD and raised blood pressure in my case

I will looking at the situation very carefully as we progress .

So far though I'm doing nothing different to my normal routine . Being like many, a lone dweller,

I am fairly self isolating most of the time anyway , just popping out as when to collect essentials .

I can tolerate the limitations on my physical ability but I do need things to keep the grey matter

going , I rarely watch TV these days and need to be in the right frame of mind to watch a DVD and

as my modelling mojo has taken a hit for some time now I find things like jigsaws and sudoku

help to keep me sane .

So here are a couple of web sites I use for the above . The jigsaw one will supply more than you will ever

be able to complete in a lifetime . Sadly being computer based they don't work as a shared subject but

if you have a significant other you can each have time to yourselves .

https://thesudoku.com/easy-39158-free-sudoku

https://thejigsawpuzzles.com/

I hope this is of interest to some of you .

Stay safe .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm not sure now where this thread is founded.

I thought we could be honest and down to earth about what lay ahead personally for us. My daughter down in Rugby has charged us with writing a journal she says she will act as managing ed. for us - purpose for the family grandchildren to have.

dh

• Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

So here are a couple of web sites I use for the above . The jigsaw one will supply more than you will ever

be able to complete in a lifetime . Sadly being computer based they don't work as a shared subject but

if you have a significant other you can each have time to yourselves .

https://thesudoku.com/easy-39158-free-sudoku

https://thejigsawpuzzles.com/

I see the sudoku has a print option so you don't have to do it on the computer. 

41 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I have 13 days to go before I reach the ' lock in ' time if they insist on it being  the over 70's .

I hope this is of interest to some of you .

Stay safe .

Yes Thank You! Your post is of great interest to me.

Like there are supposed to be No Old Bold Pilots, I'm surprised a Sidecar Racer can reach 70 years!  

Well Done!

I have never ever seen such a terrifying event as the IOM Side Car TT race!

Howzabout posting some yarns and pics to get our juices really flowing

interesting Factoid:  

My melanoma started a few years back on the retina, requiring my right eye to be removed. (i was told flying as a bush pilot in East Africa under amazing skies had done my eyes no favours) 

The NHS insisted I should have a glass replacement since they said a black patch would scare young children and old ladies.

A brilliant matching eye prosthesis  eventually turned up from Blackpool.

My Geordie Byker/biker son called in to Blackpool to look over (and bought) an old '6 day Trial' Triumph (if that means anything to you). He found  a veritable gypsy camp of old bike racers still living in their old campaigning vans and sleeping alongside their beloved old road racing bikes.

He actually met a Septuagenarian bike racer who'd painted my glass eye in the course of his retirement job!  

Good Luck Sidecar Racer

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, didcot said:

Talking of silver linings 

894090136_Screenshot_20200318-143535_SamsungInternet.jpg.03046fe71c36e81e37da2b61badf4034.jpg

Now if we can get shot of that X-Factor cr@p, Ant  & Dec, The only way is Essex......

(and no, I don't watch them.....but are often on in the background....)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

It is the opposite to what these medical sites say:

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2016/09/13/feed-a-virus-starve-a-bacterium/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2105986-what-you-eat-when-youre-sick-may-determine-if-youll-get-better/

BTW this should be in the Coronavirus thread not the self isolating thread

I was watching Dr Boz who mentioned that ketones boost gamma and delta T cells: 

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, polybear said:

Now if we can get shot of that X-Factor cr@p, Ant  & Dec, The only way is Essex......

(and no, I don't watch them.....but are often on in the background....)

Well they've stopped filming EastEnders, Holby City, Pobol Y Cwn (a sort of Welsh Corrie) and some others so we live in hope.  More of a worry is I expect they'll stop filming Countdown

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/bbc-suspends-filming-of-eastenders-due-to-coronavirus

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I guess that for most, if not all of us, our hobby is the saving grace. We can pick up some plasticard, a kit or paint and loose ourselves for an hour or two. Over the last couple of days I've been repurposing the soup factory I built for the GMRC into a reasonable impression of Capaldi's Ice Cream factory in York. I chose a different name to reflect the Italian heritage of my mate Charles.

825585660_yk118.jpg.e427c03d56b77a5ba7d013d3b69f3a00.jpg

1392660828_yk120.jpg.bec246734e02f7ca72823ceed156f919.jpg

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

I guess that for most, if not all of us, our hobby is the saving grace. We can pick up some plasticard, a kit or paint and loose ourselves for an hour or two. Over the last couple of days I've been repurposing the soup factory I built for the GMRC into a reasonable impression of Capaldi's Ice Cream factory in York. I chose a different name to reflect the Italian heritage of my mate Charles.

825585660_yk118.jpg.e427c03d56b77a5ba7d013d3b69f3a00.jpg

1392660828_yk120.jpg.bec246734e02f7ca72823ceed156f919.jpg

What area is the layout based Neil?

• RMweb Premium

Just been to the Garden Centre to top up on essentials for the coming season, strangely quiet and plenty of stock.

Popped in for a haircut on the way back as I expect it will be the last for a while.

The barber said his business was down a bit, which was normally kids popping in after school at that time.

• Like 1