The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Just made up my order, we need some of these foods next week

they were out of rice, pasta, cereals, tinned veg, oranges, kitchen roll, frozen veg. So only part of what we need was available.

So much for supermarkets claiming they had plenty of stuff but just couldn't get to the shelves quick enough. What a load of b*ollocks!

I was allowed to make up an order and complete it. Try to book a slot - none available, absolutely none. What a s*dding fiasco, why take on new customers if they can't serve them?

This is starting to look desperate.

Someone needs to do something about this as we will now have to go shopping next week when we should be self isolating. we are both in our 70s and there is no-one that can shop for us.

I'm currently spitting fire over this.

EDIT

Managed to scroll the dates on a bit and have now got one for two weeks saturday, so we still need to shop until that week

Agreed. I should be as isolated as possible (69, with emphysema), we have a Tesco delivery tomorrow (half of which is unavailable), after that they have no delivery slots for three weeks ahead (as far as you can book).

Sainsburys is the only other that will deliver here, they have no slots either. There aren't even any click and collect slots anywhere for a fortnight (which would at least avoid going around the store).

Look like I'll have to forget about isolating, and accept there's a good chance I'll get it, with the very serious consequences for someone in my state of health.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, johnarcher said:

Agreed. I should be as isolated as possible (69, with emphysema), we have a Tesco delivery tomorrow (half of which is unavailable), after that they have no delivery slots for three weeks ahead (as far as you can book).

Sainsburys is the only other that will deliver here, they have no slots either. There aren't even any click and collect slots anywhere for a fortnight (which would at least avoid going around the store).

Look like I'll have to forget about isolating, and accept there's a good chance I'll get it, with the very serious consequences for someone in my state of health.

Two thoughts (and apologies if we're in a granny and egg sucking situation here) is there a local community group organising help for vulnerable self-isolaters in your locality who could maybe collect shopping for you or failing that is there an independent shop who you could phone an order into so that they could have it ready in a box or bag for you to pick up and therefore minimise contact time.

Tomorrow I have to go to the chemists to pick up Jan's heart meds. They're unable to undertake new deliveries (we live in a retirement hotspot with many needing deliveries at the best of times) so we phoned up ahead to check that they will be ready (so I'm not hanging about) and I've been advised when it's at its quietest. Not perfect but the best we can do.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Just read a report in the online Guardian that Sainsbury’s attempt at opening the first hour of the shop exclusively for the over 70’s etc. descended into chaos at least at the London Balham store.....queuing to get in,some shelves unstocked,shoppers packed too close together,security guards clueless etc,etc.

Think I’ll open an account at Fortnum & Mason. Wonder if they deliver to Froth City ?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Over the last couple of years, I have shopped for meat and eggs at a local farm. Despite the local supermarket and the more local village shop not having any eggs, Kate put aside a dozen for me after I sent her a text. When I collected them, she said that she "will always look after her regulars". Perhaps it is time to reconsider where we shop? That may overcome the supermarket overload that is clearly impacting on many.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, runs as required said:

I've only just found Asda no longer opens all night - is this recent?

Yes. Tesco also started closing it's 24hr stores on Tues/Weds this week. Now open 6am to 10pm, it give them a chance to restock overnight.

Edited by 57xx
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Neil said:

Two thoughts (and apologies if we're in a granny and egg sucking situation here) is there a local community group organising help for vulnerable self-isolaters in your locality who could maybe collect shopping for you or failing that is there an independent shop who you could phone an order into so that they could have it ready in a box or bag for you to pick up and therefore minimise contact time.

Tomorrow I have to go to the chemists to pick up Jan's heart meds. They're unable to undertake new deliveries (we live in a retirement hotspot with many needing deliveries at the best of times) so we phoned up ahead to check that they will be ready (so I'm not hanging about) and I've been advised when it's at its quietest. Not perfect but the best we can do.

Thanks for the thoughts, I have enquired a bit about such things but there's not much around here, little shops don't seem keen to spend a lot of time assembling one's shopping.  I would probably seem not so desperate as I'm not alone, my wife's in better health, but we only have a small house (can't exactly live in separate wings) so if she goes out a lot and catches it I probably will too.

I did wonder about going to some 24hr supermarket in the middlle of the night when it's more unpopulated , but they don't seem to be staying open like that at the moment as people have said above.

• Friendly/supportive 4

I believe that between 6% to 7% of supermarket shopping is via home deliveries.

I have worked at a supermarket for 13 years, and in that time the back stock held in the warehouse has diminished significantly. When I started I guess the store held stock for perhaps 2.5 days trading. Now it is more like stock for 1.5 days trading. Even a poor weather forecast where 50% of tomorrows customers turn up today means many shelves will be empty. 

The modern 'just in time' distribution network cannot quickly cope with large fluctuations.

When it comes to home delivery shopping, we have seven vans at our store, and a limited number of drivers. If orders increase then there are no extra delivery vans to make deliveries and some of the pickers and drivers are now self isolating. This is even without considering that customers will have already emptied shelves of some products, so there is nothing to pick.

So do not expect supermarket home deliveries to pick up much slack!.

cheers  

• Informative/Useful 5

15 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Just read a report in the online Guardian that Sainsbury’s attempt at opening the first hour of the shop exclusively for the over 70’s etc. descended into chaos at least at the London Balham store.....queuing to get in,some shelves unstocked,shoppers packed too close together,security guards clueless etc,etc.

Think I’ll open an account at Fortnum & Mason. Wonder if they deliver to Froth City ?

It's tough to put that all on security guards. There is a shortage of them even before this started. Ten years ago they might be able to get near £20 per hour, and now the job commands minimum wage, for an extra chance of getting punched, or worse. 

Our store struggles to get security cover in normal times, and Its another job I would never do!

cheers 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, Neil said:

Two thoughts (and apologies if we're in a granny and egg sucking situation here) is there a local community group organising help for vulnerable self-isolaters ...

My area has a local group on Facebook that has just set up a local community help group like this. 

• Like 2

Part update on Day 3.  Had to go to the dentist this morning for an 'emergency' appointment due to toothache developing  in some teeth that have troubled me for years but the dentist never able to say why.  Thought I'd get there while I still could.  Thankfully nothing wrong (again!) but he did diagnose receding gums around a crown so he filled the gap with polyfilla (or something similar) so hopefully this will work.  i asked how he was coping and he said that English health have not issued any guidlines for dentists yet but that Scotland and Wales have so he is following them.  This means that no drilling, extractions or associated procedures can be done so, as Pam Ayres said - LOOK AFTER YOUR TEETH!

Chemist didn't deliver my prescription as arranged with them on Monday, no record of it needing delivery but Mrs 5050 braved the outside world and collected it.  It's only a few hundred yards up the road. In fairness they are incredilbly busy with all us SI'ers so next time I order my repeat prescription on-line I'll ask for 3 months worth.

Sun shining so once Mrs 5050 has lunched we'll go for a walk round the estate again.

Forgot to say that we've managed ( with thanks to daughter) to sign up with Asda for home delivery.  But not until April 8th and between 8.00 and 10.00 pm.  No problem as we won't be going anywhere at that time - but it might interrupt telly watching in the middle of a repeat of Midsomer Murders!

Edited by 5050
  • Friendly/supportive 4

24 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Just read a report in the online Guardian that Sainsbury’s attempt at opening the first hour of the shop exclusively for the over 70’s etc. descended into chaos at least at the London Balham store...

Those Hell's Grannies are up to no good again... 

• Funny 5

Hopefully of interest: Liz, the 84 year old owner of Transport Models of Preston has started a Live Blog. Apparently she says it was my idea. She must be going a little stir crazy as she has put her age on there. She used to tell us that she a "Tad over retirement age".

Liz is Self Isolating and I am sure she would enjoy railway modellers in particular contributing to her Blog. Just don't tell her I told you!

Far right is Blog, sign up is simple, enter your email address and create a password and you are in.

http://www.transportmodels.co.uk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Part update on Day 3.  Had to go to the dentist this morning for an 'emergency' appointment due to toothache developing  in some teeth that have troubled me for years but the dentist never able to say why. 

I had a weak tooth that had been giving occasional trouble until it cracked beyond repair (right down the middle!) about a month ago - glad it happened then and I had it out in February, rather than it hanging on to crack now! 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, johnarcher said:

Same here, but this situation has made us search around a bit and we have found that several local small grocery/convenience stores do local deliveries, so we are availing ourselves of this service for basics, well will be trialing it.

• Like 3

Day 4 of my self isolation. Been drizzling  here most of the day but had a thoroughly enjoyable painting the house I'm building and doing some bits of scenery to my layout. Got to say I'm really glad I have this hobby, it's taken my mind of stuff massively today :)

• Like 5

For anyone who saw/looked at/followed the link I posted yesterday of the Eagle nest in Minnesota, the third egg has hatched and they now have three baby eagles to rear. :)

It's rather heartwarming to see the chicks being corralled and fed, though the squeamish will have to get past the parents bringing freshly killed various fauna for food...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, tractionman said:

For those of us seeking modelling items to keep our spirits up, the latest update on mail order from Rails of Sheffield is here:

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3362-coronavirus-covid-19-

cheers,

Keith

Ordered couple of Parkside kits from Hatton's on Tuesday, and they are apparently to be delivered Royal Mail Tracked 48 tomorrow morning, coronavirus or no coronavirus; kudos Hatton's and Royal Mail!  These kits are very much a self isolation diversion therapy, and I'm going to build one alongside the squeeze, who will simultaneously build t'other.  You'll probably find our corpses after the panic with our hands clenched around each others' throats...

Or it could be really rather fun...

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just back from the beach. So much for self distancing, groups of mums standing around chatting while the kids played group games. Groups of teens doing what groups of teens would normally do around town, hanging out or whatever.

It may be a coincidence but the government have issued figures that show less than 5 cases in the county (so what's the problem).

End of moan.

On a more cheerful note, we had a very pleasant bike ride in the sunshine this morning and we still have clear blue skies. I won't post the pics!

• Like 2