The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

13 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

It must be difficult if you live in a town getting out for a walk and avoiding people, we are fortunate to be very rural and I know which routes to take to avoid other people, a half mile drive in any direction takes me to even more remote locations, even the beach is deserted this time of year, the occasional dog walker, but that's all...……………………..which raises a question can their dogs carry the virus?

Eternal vigilance .......... how many people have unwittingly touched footpath gate latches, doggie pooh bin handles, etc whilst out on SI exercise ………… ?

Good luck to all …………….

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Free At Last said:

Shopping trip was quick this morning with no heavy bag to carry back. I suppose that is a bonus.

Same here.  Local Spar now only sells 1 item of anything to shoppers, but that does mean they still have an ok selection if you're not picky!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Same here.  Local Spar now only sells 1 item of anything to shoppers, but that does mean they still have an ok selection if you're not picky!

<humour> a bit crap if you are after socks </humour>

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Southernman46 said:

Eternal vigilance .......... how many people have unwittingly touched footpath gate latches, doggie pooh bin handles, etc whilst out on SI exercise ………… ?

Good luck to all …………….

Very luckily I live on the edge of a small town and within less than two minutes walk  I’m on the canal towpath.

So no footpath gates, latches just walk for miles, even pooh dog waste bins are of the open side variety.

With the Trent Valley Railway line running alongside the canal, I could even partake in a little train spotting, but when you have seen one Pendinlo what’s the point.

Keep safe everybody 

Terry 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

This is without doubt a challenging time, but lets not forget the reason behind all this isolation is to protect a significant number of people who would be very vulnerable to the effects of the virus and our health service being able to deal with the cases it will face.

But lets not forget that actually we are in quite a good place, there are parts of the world where they are facing more harsh clear and present dangers for example the populations of Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan.

Whilst we are dealing with a food/domestic product crisis of our own making we still have fully functioning:

• Energy grids
  • Health service (being supported through self isolation/distancing)
  • Transport
  • Food production
  • Distribution networks
  • Communications
  • Media
  • Councils
  • Government

I look outside and the sun is shining, there is less pollution, the sky is not full of contrails, birds are singing, animals are going about their business.

There is likely to be recession but as a country we will get past it just like in the past, we just need to be sensible for a few months whilst this virus makes it mark and fingers crossed lives will be saved by this action.

Hear Hear Well said that man.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

Keep Calm And Carry On turns out to be reasonably sound advice.  There is in fact very little beyond limiting outdoor activity, which can only be done to a certain extent by certain people, most have to keep working, that anyone can do.  The Daily Mail was screaming the other day in a banner headline that 8 million people will be affected, which I doubt unless that is meant to be a world wide figure.  That does not mean that 8 million people in any case will develop serious symptoms, far less die; the typical sufferer will have to put up with flu like symptoms for a week or so and then recover.  Many more people will die of 'normal' flu, and these will be the same high risk punters as will be more affected by Covid-19.  The media are behaving with their usual sense of social responsibility and stoking up the panic (no bread in our shops for 3 days unless you're banging on the door at opening time).

My view is that the government has this in hand and we will, by and large, cope.  It'd be better if we didn't have to but we do have to, and we will.  It is important to keep the situation in perspective and take a step back from the sensationalism for a more holistic view.  Some of us will die, but not that many and a good number of those are going to be drain circlers to begin with (sorry that's a bit bleak, just being realistic and practical).  Stay safe and aware, look after yourselves, don't wear masks (it's a complete waste of time, doesn't work anyway, and further stokes the panic fires), wash your hands frequently, and don't hoard food, toilet paper, disinfectant, and the like; in fact, do your normal shopping as far as you can with what panic stricken idiots have left on the shelves.  

In other words, Keep Calm And Carry On.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Today I ventured out of exile to pick up meds for Mrs R. After one abortive attempt when the Chemists was heaving I returned at dinnertime (aka lunch if you hail from the south) and collected the usual bagful. Mrs R had a brainwave and reasoned that as the town is a haven for Daily Mail reading pensioners the wholefood shop would be safe to visit for supplies. Plenty of staple dried goods on the shelves, ok a bit pricier than the Coop but I was the only customer there.

Got to say I was disappointed at what I saw on the streets while in town. On the BBC 1o'clock news footage was shown of Glasgow, Central London and another major city; I'm ashamed to say that Tywyn today was busier, populated by the very at risk group that the current policy of self isolation/social distancing is aimed at protecting.

• Like 2

One of my children works in a supermarket, I asked about toilet rolls.

He said they were coming out of their ears today so many in stock, they are still selling like hotcakes though.

So if we give it a few more days surely things will stabilise a bit more

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Second day of working from home and I was that bored I cut the grass! :jester:

Actually, I had already booked this Thursday and Friday off but the rest of the team were told to work from home and log everything (workwise) with a job number and timings.

HR has just informed us all that any discrepancies between the times worked at home (and bookable to a job) and that of the normal working week will be treated as unpaid leave. In the last 48 hours, I have had one Email of thanks to deal with!

I must admit, I didn't think I was on a "Zero hours" contract!

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

That's an oversimplification. Do you fully understand the seriousness of the situation?

We are self isolating for a very good reason.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Got to say I was disappointed at what I saw on the streets while in town. On the BBC 1o'clock news footage was shown of Glasgow, Central London and another major city; I'm ashamed to say that Tywyn today was busier, populated by the very at risk group that the current policy of self isolation/social distancing is aimed at protecting.

Sad to say but I recon that's true of a lot of places, I guess if it's really important the gov will introduce more draconian methods  as they have in Italy where I believe there has been another breakout. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

He said they were coming out of their ears today so many in stock, they are still selling like hotcakes though.

If he’s got toilet rolls coming out of his ears, he’s using them a bit too enthusiastically.  

18 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

That's an oversimplification. Do you fully understand the seriousness of the situation?

We are self isolating for a very good reason.

I reckon I do understand the seriousness if the situation, and demonstrate this in my

post, though one might miss this if one just scan-read the soundbite.  Self isolate if you think you are vulnerable, of course, that’s the government advice which I agree with and think is entirely appropriate, but most of us in reasonable health aren’t especially vulnerable.  If you are not already ill, especially with respiratory problems, or pregnant, or elderly (in which case you’re already pretty self isolated, particularly if you have mobility issues, maintaining calm and continuing as normal as far as s possible is valid and sensible advice. 

Who do you think is operating factories, transport, utilities, emergency services, retail, more or less everything, while the situation develops?  Not people who have self isolated, and not those (shamefully) of my generation who are clearing the shelves of bread and should know better!

To quote another of those pseudo-wartime posters, Don’t Panic. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

My working-from-home desk has arrived.

I'm not sure I need to read all these pages:

instructions.jpg.e271f2f4e49e18d2a9f4679a3688c57e.jpg

I have two issues though with this page:

tools.jpg.ddb14cab06d48ec24b1323d4fd68a3f6.jpg

a) I'm not sure they are both Philips screwdrivers

b ) Where's the mask ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Anybody else here SI with children?

We are finding it a bit of struggle TBH, and I'd be interested to hear how others are doing.

We're holed-up because youngest (8yo) had a high temperature last weekend and, for 14 days from onset, we are suspected plague-bearers. Fortunately, and touching wood, we seem not to be, and youngest was quickly restored to normal.

But, the children are finding it very hard, even with going out for walks/bike-rides, for a few reasons: missing their friends; boredom, despite our best efforts; and, they worry.

Youngest came out with the fact that she hates having to keep on the far side of the path from all the others out walking (mostly >70yo, although that will change once the schools shut) who tend to regard children as if they are coronavirus-on-legs at the moment , and that she is worried "there won't be any adults left at the end it".

Son (12yo with a half-grown moustache) is like a caged animal, being deprived of his usual intense regime of sports, has so much excess energy that he could power the street if given a bike with a big-enough dynamo, and becomes "a bit of a handful" round the house.

Both of them are pining to go to school (and the schools haven't even shut yet!), and complaining bitterly that this is nothing like what they expected (son especially has been wishing-on school closures for a fortnight or more, deluding himself that he was in for months of playing x-box and being allowed to stay-up late).

An entire summer of social-distancing, let alone self-isolation, is going to be very hard indeed for children.

When they are old and grey, they will bore their grandchildren witless, going on about this period, because it is  going to be as formative to them as WW2 was to children alive then.

(I'm supposed to be working in the study, but as you can tell, I'm self-distracting!)

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Friendly/supportive 11

5 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

b ) Where's the mask ?

Is it an illusion or is the desk actually wider at the bottom than the top, it looks bent.

I got my goggles out last week to prepare for cutting up an old railway, that had got buried under some other stuff and were all bent out of shape and the lenses had cracked.

Why do you need a tape measure, don't they know the dimensions?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m not having much luck in persuading my dog to practise social distancing. Why, with such an amazingly sensitive nose, do they have to get right to the source of the aroma?

• Funny 3

I expect to be at the "You'll be Lucky" (for those who remember Al Read's catch phrases) end when CD-19 triage is applied.

But I have to go off to the Immunotherapy Clinic next week. This morning the Consultant herself rang and spoke to my wife. She said they will do the next consultation over the phone if I am agreeable (at the same time as the booked Oncology time at the Freeman Hosp in Newcastle). They said they've received my latest CT scans of Head, neck and internal organs.

I thought that a very sensible decision.

dh

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Anybody else here SI with children?

We are finding it a bit of struggle TBH, and I'd be interested to hear how others are doing. ....

......An entire summer of social-distancing, let alone self-isolation, is going to be very hard indeed for children. .....

My daughter is having to self isolate (in a high risk category) which means that the whole family are. She's got four nippers of primary school age and is finding it hard going but has worked out a few strategies.

1/ Treat weekdays as schooldays, kids up on time and into uniform. Do work which school have set so they don't fall too far behind.

2/ Leven this with some practical lessons which schools find hard to do like baking, also room tidying/housework.

3/ Tailor stuff to their interests, eldest is into making you tube videos, next oldest down Lego, etc.

4/ Good weather (when it arrives) camping holiday in the back garden.

Because of her high risk category her husband has to self isolate with the family so this is a help too though being self employed money is a problem. Fortunately we can help them through this sticky patch with that but obviously not with the childcare.

Edit: My guess is that over the coming days and weeks there will be more online resources aimed at children taking an enforced break from school, worth keeping an eye out.

Edited by Neil
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Oh no. 

My worst nightmare (selfishly and relatively speaking) has happened. 

The World Snooker Championships in Sheffield has been postponed. :(

Snooker is just a load of ba11s...……………..

P. Black

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

b ) Where's the mask ?

Neither of those screwdrivers are mine Stubby.

Here is the mask image.png.bd9a0e5f260c3a5db740bdd2784e8ec6.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Keep Calm And Carry On turns out to be reasonably sound advice.  There is in fact very little beyond limiting outdoor activity, which can only be done to a certain extent by certain people, most have to keep working, that anyone can do.  The Daily Mail was screaming the other day in a banner headline that 8 million people will be affected, which I doubt unless that is meant to be a world wide figure.  That does not mean that 8 million people in any case will develop serious symptoms, far less die; the typical sufferer will have to put up with flu like symptoms for a week or so and then recover.  Many more people will die of 'normal' flu, and these will be the same high risk punters as will be more affected by Covid-19.  The media are behaving with their usual sense of social responsibility and stoking up the panic (no bread in our shops for 3 days unless you're banging on the door at opening time).

My view is that the government has this in hand and we will, by and large, cope.  It'd be better if we didn't have to but we do have to, and we will.  It is important to keep the situation in perspective and take a step back from the sensationalism for a more holistic view.  Some of us will die, but not that many and a good number of those are going to be drain circlers to begin with (sorry that's a bit bleak, just being realistic and practical).  Stay safe and aware, look after yourselves, don't wear masks (it's a complete waste of time, doesn't work anyway, and further stokes the panic fires), wash your hands frequently, and don't hoard food, toilet paper, disinfectant, and the like; in fact, do your normal shopping as far as you can with what panic stricken idiots have left on the shelves.  

Drain Circlers? I've not heard that one before! Nice one John!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

image.png.3f2033f5b913e5053cd4342935d47c31.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 3