Exhill Works and other adventures in 7/8ths

John Besley

• RMweb Premium

Made up a batch of lamp brackets and fitted these with a tiny rivet drilled through and loctited all in place, next made up a SR route indicator disc, turned down a disc from 12mm brass bar, formed a bracket that was soldered onto the back of the disc, drilled two .05mm holes and using some fine copper wire formed the loop handle this was then soldered up.

Lampbracketsandheadcodedisc.jpg.524acd3ca1f204fddf7140b18d2111e6.jpg

Need to make some more headcode discs along with a BR tail lamp... (I do have an original full-size one under my desk...)

• Like 10

8 hours ago, John Besley said:

Made up a batch of lamp brackets and fitted these with a tiny rivet drilled through and loctited all in place, next made up a SR route indicator disc, turned down a disc from 12mm brass bar, formed a bracket that was soldered onto the back of the disc, drilled two .05mm holes and using some fine copper wire formed the loop handle this was then soldered up.

Need to make some more headcode discs along with a BR tail lamp... (I do have an original full-size one under my desk...)

Getting closer and closer to the paint stage … I wonder what colour you will chose?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, John Besley said:

Lovely workmanship as ever John!  I don't suppose you have a source for 0.5 mm drill bits?  They are one of the most common sizes that I use, and seem to be very easy to break...  All of the suppliers I've seen just do them in packs with assorted other bits, which I don't need.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Lovely workmanship as ever John!  I don't suppose you have a source for 0.5 mm drill bits?  They are one of the most common sizes that I use, and seem to be very easy to break...  All of the suppliers I've seen just do them in packs with assorted other bits, which I don't need.

Hi

Squires Craft Tools do a pack of 10 drills of the same size and do 0.5mm
http://www.squirestools.com/catalogues.htm

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Look at Tracey Tools website .... I just pop in to them as they are local to me so don't bother with the website

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Getting closer and closer to the paint stage … I wonder what colour you will chose?

Difficult choice.... paint is there to stop it going rusty... part of me says unlined black and part says mid green and lined out... it needs a BR(S) number but can't decide what series to use a spare number following on from a Z tank would work..

It's going to slightly weathered as well to represent an engine that is clean and looked after but used for its living, I do have an idea...

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Started to set up the driver - He was visitied by an ex 72A Exmouth Jct driver to see how he was getting on... so I can get his profile right allowing me then to make his seat cushion,

Footplatecrew.jpg.b561a3b86ed06f238c1c036cf8f59111.jpg

Then looked at the cab fittings and realised id’ forgotten to make up a blower valve, found a suitable casting for the body and a spare handle in the parts bin along with some copper wire silver soldered this up, having done that finished off the hydrostatic lubricator by fitting the sight glass from a strip of Perspex along with drilling through for the tube itself then counter bored the glass to fit the filler nut in the top of the tank.

HydrostaticLubricator(1).jpg.28be142ed6aa730cf50470864a5b6044.jpg

back view showing the perspex 

HydrostaticLubricator(2).jpg.6a88f2313aca065c47f9eb2147da6c9f.jpg

front view as seen in the cab

How on earth i'll get everything in the cab is an ongoing puzzle

Edited by John Besley
Trypo
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Following some extensive reconstructive surgery youll be pleased to hear our driver is now in recovery having had two shoulders replaced, two new hips and knee joints along with an ankle replacement, to help him feel better he’s been given a nice drivers jacket...

Driver(2).jpg.f83317e7447448e4f39884a0d5b6195d.jpg

Next he needs a decent seat cushion...

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Made up a seat base cushion and finished off a couple of odds 'n ends then taken the plunge, well the loco body, tender and driver (who incerdently now has a BR cap badge that is 5.6mm x 2.78mm cut out of a 10thou plasticard strip) in a warm sink with washing up liquid to clean them off ready for the primer coat...

Getting exciting now

Next puzzle is where can I get 7mm BR passenger livery lining for a green loco along with cabside numbers, Tottom etc. This is the most daunting part of all - the lining out

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the tip Jeff, Ill dig into this shortly

Gave the loco body and tender a initial blow over with grey primer to show up any flaws in the work so far once these have dried for 24hours ill sort out one or two areas ive spotted.

And in other news I made up three sets of chopper couplings for future stock I have in mind, including a start made on a boige gondala - i'll let you guess what this sides are from...

Gondala.jpg.97c7bee66ff097626d13b32078e9a5e6.jpg

Still a lot to do but needed to try it out to check for clearance and seting up the coupling heights., so far so good.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, lmsforever said:

I really enjoy seeing your modeling especially the figures and their faces they add another dimension to the very interesting locos etc  ,it must make modeling fun thanks for some very interesting modeling.

Thank you very much, I find it an imersive world that doesn't take life too seriously - I try to build things that are 100% feasible and accurate mixed with intresting characters that add another dimension.

I showed some pictures of the workshop to an engineer this week at one of the sites we look after - he thought it was a real workshop not a model... That's a result!

The site is closing down next year so I made sure I started to measure up some of their equimpent to build,  including a 1947 Cincinnati No4 vertical milling machine I want to build over Christmas ... walking round the 40 acre site vast chunks of it are now a ghost town with production stopping on December 8th and most of the staff going on the 22nd and all of a sudden we are getting orders for emergency light upgrades... seeing the way it's being run down gives me a feel for what the end of steam was like for the shed crews, footplate staff etc

Much of what I've built leans on this particular site, oneday when we move house further sections will be built - I have one or two ideas up my sleeve

Anyway If I built a 'real' model railway I'd get so hung up on the details I doubt I'd enjoy it- it would have to be a SR  BLT  1960 / 62 in the Westcountry 

Edited by John Besley
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Pretty much finished the Gondala, added a angle iron on the lower body side and a stiffing plate underneath, added on angle end platework to brace up the ends, remade the pivot pins and soldered in a 6BA bolt to secure the boiges to.

Gondala(2).jpg.12b15563d86d2c35f77fc3ad61bfd30e.jpg

The story goes that Exhill Works found a redundant water tank and cut it up for the sides to build this on a scrap coach chassis, that way they could have a longer general purpose wagon,  behind the workshop resides more spare boiges for another project...

In reality the sides came from a Triang Big Big Train Gondala I found on ebay that someone had already hacked about, I cut it down each side to lose 10mm and re assembiled the remains, made up a set of boiges by overlaying some Hornby BR Mk1 coach boiges in 60thou plasticard and fitted these with steel wheels. The roller bearing axleboxes are my own castings as are the chopper couplings.

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 29/11/2023 at 08:30, JeffP said:

Fox do 7mm lining.

Help please

Does anyone know the width of the lining

My boiler bands are 4mm wide, this will be a determaning factor in the final detail I will be useing large 7mm totoms for the tender as these will work out at around 12" long in scale and looking for 8mm high cabside numerals

update 

Gauge 1 lining is 2mm wide and cabside numerals are 8mm

Edited by John Besley
Correction

• RMweb Premium

Bit the bullet and order up a set of FoxTransfers BR 1948 - 1968 lining transfers for Gauge 1 (10mm) and here is the loco and tender now in primer - the loco now sports a wooden handle to hold the boiler by while spray painting and finally a tin of Halfords Ford Laurel Green has been purchased...

Paintwork(1).jpg.17f0d4b059e5f88948062a421c5bf635.jpg

oh and the gondala is now in red oxide...

Gondala(3).jpg.386d64bb8452efd00a92a1dfc92778b1.jpg

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Everything is on hold for the foreseeable future following a accident on the M5 outside Taunton on the way home last evening when a car pulled out of slowmoving traffic straight into my path... airbag deploying smashed my left wrist in plaster for about 6 weeks...

20231205_172705.jpg.14e8094ead890f309ab194dfbd9b1977.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 14

It’s that time of year, when the urge to be home 30 seconds earlier overcomes common sense and drivers do plain STOOPID things…

Sorry you’ve been in the wars - rotten timing too, leading up to Christmas. Can you make a claim for “lost modelling hours” against the other driver’s insurance?

Hope you heal soon and it doesn’t give you too much hassle.

Best wishes

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for your thoughts, I am having an op tomorrow all being well to put a plate in my wrist and pin it back as it should be - currently my left arm is compressed as the wrist joint has disintegrated

As regards the van I think it's been written off 65750 in 18 months... on 3 year lease .... apparently everything has now been emptied out of it and into a cage at work.

Ironically 6 years ago to the day my Transit van I used at my old firm was written off in a head on crash on the Taunton Minehead Road that one was 2.5 years old and had done 185000

• Friendly/supportive 9