Exhill Works and other adventures in 7/8ths

John Besley

• RMweb Premium

So this afternoon (I am on part time this week to get run in gently) I made all the patterns for the vac pipe fittings I will need as Ive got 3 coaches and two loco's to fit these to as well as other rolling stock in the planning.

These are designed to fit into 1/8th tube and will form a kit of parts on one sprue 

VacPipefittings.jpg.4cbeb0c041125e57dd2652160c6bd363.jpg

The photo is pretty cruel as its so close up...

Next off will be the BR tail lamp master

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/02/2024 at 21:27, John Besley said:

Meanwhile a bit of progress on the coaches, but the PW dept got wind of this and pestered the engineering that - ' you know the semi scrapped coach behind the works that got dumped if you want us to sort out the winter maintenece and spring time clear up youd better think how we as in the two of us are going to get around as we're not walking everywhere when Joe public get to ride so...'

If there is a new weed-killing train it may distract them for a while. I really liked the sketches and look forward to seeing the pictures of it if the idea becomes reality.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

If there is a new weed-killing train it may distract them for a while. I really liked the sketches and look forward to seeing the pictures of it if the idea becomes reality.  

This is still in the thinking stage... I must admit to wanting to make something slightly Emmett like thinking along the lines of the book illustrated by Emmett on 'Make your own Scotch Whiskey' particularly the intricate plumbing...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On 03/02/2024 at 20:03, Ramrig said:

Hi John

I’ve followed this thread for a long time. How about a short local name like Beer or Exton? A nod to the West Country class. It could be placed over the top of the top lining, as per the EM1 & EM2 nameplates. Just a thought.

Keep up the excellent work and I hope the Wrist is healing well.

Steve.

I keep thinking the name Exton sounds right... travelling through bits of a soggy East Devon on the way to Poole yesterday thinking the tank loco build through and options... need to know what driving wheel sizes are on 00 gauge locos versus how they would equate to a 10.1/4" loco.. there are other options apart from 80xxx

Edited by John Besley
Correction

• RMweb Gold

4' 7 1/2" is a favoured size for goods tank locos which scales out at 18mm in 4mm scale.

5'3" for passenger tanks. 

Regards Lez. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

4' 7 1/2" is a favoured size for goods tank locos which scales out at 18mm in 4mm scale.

5'3" for passenger tanks. 

Regards Lez. 

Thanks Lez

I'll dig into this and see what I find at some point...

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile I've finished the master for the tail lamp, this is a copy of the BR tail lamp I aquired from Totnes station way back in the late 70's when Colin Harmes (ex BR Southern Region Fireman, - DVR Driver) was a porter there ... say no more

This is made slightly under scale as if id made this in 7/8ths it would look out of preportion to the stock - seeing as No34 headcode disc is a scaled down version i've gone the same route on the lamp and made it in 16mm scale

TailLamp(1).jpg.49a4c483f59f22eb98a647b0260a8cb0.jpg

TailLamp(2).jpg.5f249a18a7f653f6a46fe01f51080dea.jpg

To put it into context the round lens on the side is a 12BA washer drilled out to 10BA...

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Started on the paintwork, sprayed the bodies all over with Halfords grey enamel primer then in Halfords garden machinery green – which is not too far off SR green for coaches.

Paintwork(1).jpg.21dde29392af3ef3940d836f45456584.jpg

At the same time my delivery of coffee stirrers arrived on Friday so I set to and made up an assembly jig in plasticard which works well

Paintwork(2).jpg.57444ea3b8cb61a9b8e689c3ba80eb5d.jpg

I’ve not bothered to much about the ends of the coaches as these will be in black along with the solebars, at the same time I am doing the finishing off jobs on No34's tender

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

And just got the transfers on order with Fox Transfers... for the Exhill stock I use their 10mm G1 sets as these look right...

But they don't seem to do anything in this scale for departmental stock or much in freight stock, the ones they do don't show on their website any visible details so it's a bit pot luck

Any ideas anyone?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure of how your models scale out against other models but Hornby Tinplate O Gauge was generally lettered over size (I had been meaning to post asking if a picture of one of your models next to something for scale would be possible).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152453868180?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=m0SyvMLtTJS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=uL-JGcPYSsK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162412991229?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=m0SyvMLtTJS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=uL-JGcPYSsK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Hopefully they might be of use? I fear they may be too small though. Hope you find something.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok I'll take a few side by side pictures... pretty well all I've got is some 00 gauge locos  and a 0 gauge class 33 body for a cut and shut build based on the Triang Minic Railways 10.1/4" system...

tmnr03.jpg.4e4549bdb668cc8d938e18007f4f46c7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Besley said:

Triang Minic Railways 10.1/4" system...

I have a black and white photograph somewhere of an eight-ish year old me sitting in one of these locos. Somewhere on the North Wales coast, if I recall what I've been told. Rhyll or Colwyn Bay probably ( ?). 

Trouble is, I remember the photo more than the event!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

I have a black and white photograph somewhere of an eight-ish year old me sitting in one of these locos. Somewhere on the North Wales coast, if I recall what I've been told. Rhyll or Colwyn Bay probably ( ?). 

Trouble is, I remember the photo more than the event!

If you dig it out feel free to post it here, my idea is that Exhill carried on with there own version of the Triang Minic Railways, but based it around a class 33 body shell, aiming it at the likes of Paignton Zoo as a modern replacement for the old Warships that where quite common (and still survive)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it was Rhyll. I have a similar photograph of a very young me on the same ride in the late 1960’s. Luckily my mum has it somewhere and I won’t need to post it here 🤣 🤣

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

I think it was Rhyll. I have a similar photograph of a very young me on the same ride in the late 1960’s. Luckily my mum has it somewhere and I won’t need to post it here 🤣 🤣

Shame on you, dare you ....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fishplate said:

There you go. Now just need @Ramrig to provide some prototype knees....

IMG-20210103-WA0009.jpg.62ca8a38db262e4d2c61168c8f01c2d8.jpg

The one of me is from a lot further away. No knobbly knees on view 🤣

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, John Besley said:

Ok I'll take a few side by side pictures... pretty well all I've got is some 00 gauge locos  and a 0 gauge class 33 body for a cut and shut build based on the Triang Minic Railways 10.1/4" system...

Is the Minic loco part of your collection John? They are a very rare beast these days. 

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Apologies for the double post. I thought I'd inadvertently deleted the first one. Must have pressed submit by accident. Let me know @John Besley if you want me to remove one (or both) sets of knees. 

I much rather you kept your knees as they are vital for walking... I'd hate to be responsible for amputations

56 minutes ago, Ramrig said:

Is the Minic loco part of your collection John? They are a very rare beast these days. 

Sadly not .... I borrowed the picture off the internet, From the same source I found some drawings as well... but I won't post these, might well redraw them my self at some point... To progress this build I need another Lima Class 33 chassis from somewhere

• RMweb Premium

Have you seen this John. Also take a look at the comments below the image once you click the image and go to Flickr . 
PS.it’s not me in the image 🤣

Golden Arrow at Rhyl - 1967

Edited by Ramrig
Added text
  • Like 2